Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

I think the problem with Joe B is that he has no football background at all but fancies himself a football expert. I see him as a typical knowledgeable football fan who doesn't recognize the minutiae of the game that you can only learn from playing or coaching. There's no shame in that. The issue is he has a job that he need to keep and he's trying to create an identity of a "local reporter who's very knowledgeable".

That would explain why Eric Wood would think he's an idiot for grading blocking drills and he can't recognize that Harvin didn't run the correct route. He's just tunnel visioning when in order to understand the whole field you need to open your eyes to every position (even the boring ones like O-line). The EJ bias could just stem from predictions he made in the past that he needs to be true so he can say "see, I predicted that, I know what I'm talking about".

This brings up an issue I have with reporters who tweet results from practice in real time. Specifically, I have an issue with reporters who tweet results of plays and add their own commentary to it. It's impossible to watch everything at the same time, especially from the sidelines where reporters stand at camp. A single football play has too many variables to know exactly what went wrong unless it's obvious i.e. there's good protection and a quarterback misses a receiver running all alone downfield.

If a quarterback walks up to the line, signals something to his receiver, snaps the ball, is blitzed heavy, and ends up throwing the ball 5 yards behind the receiver, a reporter could tweet "EJ under heavy pressure and doesn't connect with Harvin." or a reporter could tweet "EJ misses badly. Doesn't even give Harvin a chance. Woof." If it turns out that EJ signaled a hot route and the receiver didn't run it when the blitz was called, then it was the receiver's fault and the first tweet would be more correct because it refrained from making personal commentary. And this has nothing to do with Joe B directly, or EJ. They just happened to be involved in the play yesterday that was the receiver's fault. The point I'm trying to make is that there are so many variables to create the outcome of a play that it's difficult to inject your own commentary in real-time unless you 1. Know the playcall 2. Know the duties of each player on each play or 3. Every other variable is accounted for besides 1 or 2 that you can point to and say "THAT is exactly what went wrong with the play. The RB failed to pick up the backside end in pass protection" or "Percy failed to stick his route a few yards shorter to account for the blitz and hot throw."

I think the problem with Joe B is that he has no football background at all but fancies himself a football expert. I see him as a typical knowledgeable football fan who doesn't recognize the minutiae of the game that you can only learn from playing or coaching. There's no shame in that. The issue is he has a job that he need to keep and he's trying to create an identity of a "local reporter who's very knowledgeable".

That would explain why Eric Wood would think he's an idiot for grading blocking drills and he can't recognize that Harvin didn't run the correct route. He's just tunnel visioning when in order to understand the whole field you need to open your eyes to every position (even the boring ones like O-line). The EJ bias could just stem from predictions he made in the past that he needs to be true so he can say "see, I predicted that, I know what I'm talking about".

Good stuff here and it explains one of the reasons why I hate twitter; reporters immediately sharing first impressions without the proper context. But the damage is done and many people consume this stuff as gospel truth. 

The EJ bias is hard to explain. Others have wondered if it had anything to do with Joe B being a big Florida State fan (he went to school there) and not being happy with EJ as their QB. That seems like a bit of a stretch to me. Your explanation is easier to accept; that Joe B made a bold declaration about Manuel and needs to support it with anything he can. But nothing could be more unprofessional from a journalist. 

I'll just chalk it up to Joe B having little insight into what he's seeing and reporting on. 

GO BILLS!!!

Did you guys hear about that brewery that stamped "Tom Brady Sux" on the bottom of their cans for a week? :w00t:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/08/11/how-tom-brady-sux-ended-up--sun-king-beer-cans/31454223/

I love that they've been taking advantage of the new equipment they have that lets then write on the bottom of cans, writing "I am Batman" and "Turn left for Indy 500"

Evidently the rookie asked Geno to come to his football camp, Geno said yes, the rookie paid for Geno's plane ticket, Geno bailed, the rookie demanded that Geno pay for the ticket and things escalated.

Congratulations, idiot. You just threw away a chance at a million-dollar salary for a number of years in favor of a career as a bouncer or a security guard -- and with a couple of assaults on his record (including one on a cop), one expects prison isn't unlikely in his future. But you showed Geno.

Small clarification: Geno didn't bail. He had a death in the family. Geno had also already agreed to pay him back but today was apparently the "deadline" to pay him back.

I hope we find out that the Released Rookie propositioned the deadline to him as "pay me back by August 11th or I'll break your jaw."

"He broke my deadline, so I broke his jaw."

Edited by Hoss

Small clarification: Geno didn't bail. He had a death in the family. Geno had also already agreed to pay him back but today was apparently the "deadline" to pay him back.

I hope we find out that the Released Rookie propositioned the deadline to him as "pay me back by August 11th or I'll break your jaw."

The italicized is so much funnier if you hear it w/ Mike Tyson's voice.

"Anybody want to hear my impression of Evander Holyfield? 'I can't hear you!' " W/ thanks/apologies to Frank Caliendo. ;)

The italicized is so much funnier if you hear it w/ Mike Tyson's voice.

"Anybody want to hear my impression of Evander Holyfield? 'I can't hear you!' " W/ thanks/apologies to Frank Caliendo. ;)

It's funniest when you hear it in Scott Caan's voice from Varsity Blues.

The story of why he bailed keeps getting tweaked so I'm not sure "death in the family" is still the excuse. Either way, you are right, Geno did say he would pay him back.

The story of why he bailed keeps getting tweaked so I'm not sure "death in the family" is still the excuse. Either way, you are right, Geno did say he would pay him back.

Yea, my main point in the clarification was that he said he would pay him back and the opportunity to use a line from Varsity Blues.

Either way, Smith should have just paid the man. But that doesn't give the dude a right to punch him in the jaw.

Evidently the rookie asked Geno to come to his football camp, Geno said yes, the rookie paid for Geno's plane ticket, Geno bailed, the rookie demanded that Geno pay for the ticket and things escalated.

Congratulations, idiot. You just threw away a chance at a million-dollar salary for a number of years in favor of a career as a bouncer or a security guard -- and with a couple of assaults on his record (including one on a cop), one expects prison isn't unlikely in his future. But you showed Geno.

I'd take him on the Bills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.