Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

To be fair, he played fine tonight. It's just fun to joke about the random miscues at this point, because I think Rex has made it pretty clear (despite his best efforts not to) that he's not getting the job.

I was being fair, he was not, is not, never will be, worth the 1st round pick the Buffalo Bills pissed away to get EJ Manuel.

Tyrod will start against Cleveland next week (per Rex).

Glad to hear that. If each QB is being given an equal chance, EJ should go 2 and Cassel 3 in the next game. Yes, preseason is 4 games, but Rex needs to go after it. Give the QB's chances right away. Don't pull an EJ at number 3 for the first 2 games. If EJ is at number 3, Rex has already decided who his 2 QB's will be. As I said earlier, TT more or less has my vote. Feel the guy has more to offer than the other 2.  

Edited by Thanes16

Karlos Williams and John Miller were revelations last night.

TT is a spectacular playmaker who tends to bail if his first read isn't there. He will make plays but he won't make a living as a starting QB unless he can operate from the pocket. It is that simple.

That is all the snark I got.

GO BILLS!!!

TT is a spectacular playmaker who tends to bail if his first read isn't there. He will make plays but he won't make a living as a starting QB unless he can operate from the pocket. It is that simple.

GO BILLS!!!

I didn't like that he was prone to scramble so much, but....he was more than capable outside the pocket. Which I can't remember seeing from a quarterback on this team in a very long time. He actually managed to make plays on the run. And he was able to find open targets. I haven't seen a Buffalo QB do that in so long I wasn't even sure I was supposed to like what I was seeing. 

I didn't like that he was prone to scramble so much, but....he was more than capable outside the pocket. Which I can't remember seeing from a quarterback on this team in a very long time. He actually managed to make plays on the run. And he was able to find open targets. I haven't seen a Buffalo QB do that in so long I wasn't even sure I was supposed to like what I was seeing. 

Kind of how I felt as well.  I felt that he at least made things happen.  I want to see more in the 2nd and 3rd preseason games, but right now, TT is the QB I want.

And I agree that Karlos and Miller were great finds.  I'm a little concerned about Darby, but he might come around once he gets more gametime under his belt.  I sure hope McKelvin comes back sooner rather than later though.  That peace of mind...

Absolutely you should like what you are seeing. I just know regular season opponents will scheme to take away certain things and begin to limit his big plays off of broken plays. They are gonna force him to play from the pocket and make him beat them from there. Yes, he will continue to make the occasional huge play when things break down and he will look spectacular doing it, but sooner or later a QB has to beat teams using the whole field and you can only do that from the pocket.

It is the nature of the beast.

Our QBs looked good last night but I am willing to bet that league-wide, completion percentages were high and many QBs looked good the first week of preseason.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

To a large degree I think forcing Taylor to be a pocket passer is an exercise in futility. I don't care what he's listed at, he's 5'10; that simply isn't conducive to operating from the pocket. Of course I don't want him to always take the first read and run (hopefully it'd improve with experience), just saying the offense needs to be designed around his strengths, not his weaknesses. And like D4rk said, he did a pretty good job of keeping his eyes down field when getting outside the pocket. Lastly, I don't think there's any question the threat of his legs would help open things up for McCoy.

Absolutely you should like what you are seeing. I just know regular season opponents will scheme to take away certain things and begin to limit his big plays off of broken plays. They are gonna force him to play from the pocket and make him beat them from there. Yes, he will continue to make the occasional huge play when things break down and he will look spectacular doing it, but sooner or later a QB has to beat teams using the whole field and you can only do that from the pocket.

It is the nature of the beast.

Our QBs looked good last night but I am willing to bet that league-wide, completion percentages were high and many QBs looked good the first week of preseason.

GO BILLS!!!

Mariota did NOT look good lol.  

Mariota did NOT look good lol.

Te screen interception was a good play by the Defense, and the fumble was some nerves. After that he made

some very nice throws that really impressed me

@mikerodak: Rex calls out MarQueis Gray and Nick O'Leary for their drops. "This is the NFL." Says they're TEs, not OTs.

@JoeBuscaglia: #Bills HC Rex Ryan calls out MarQueis Gray and Nick O'Leary, not by name, for drops on Manuel passes. Said "TEs who decided to be tackles"

Edited by WildCard

To a large degree I think forcing Taylor to be a pocket passer is an exercise in futility. I don't care what he's listed at, he's 5'10; that simply isn't conducive to operating from the pocket. Of course I don't want him to always take the first read and run (hopefully it'd improve with experience), just saying the offense needs to be designed around his strengths, not his weaknesses. And like D4rk said, he did a pretty good job of keeping his eyes down field when getting outside the pocket. Lastly, I don't think there's any question the threat of his legs would help open things up for McCoy.

Insight

You can't design a sustainable offense around a QB that can't operate from the pocket consistently. In order to keep defenses honest, you have to make them defend the entire field and the whole field is only available to an OC and his QB when he can set up and stay between the hash marks.

Defenses, especially good ones, have figured out the read option. You will not beat teams often enough to make it a staple to design your O around and your QB will take pounding as well.

The latest example of several over the years is Kaepernick. Compare All-22 tape from last year to his prior seasons and you can see it plain as day.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree.  He'll succeed for a few games and eventually, a D-dude will get that lick on him that (a) knocks him out of the game, or (b) more seriously injures him.  The NFL has a way of beating the happy feat out of QBs that overuse it.

He is going to have to adapt in the long run.

You can't design a sustainable offense around a QB that can't operate from the pocket consistently. In order to keep defenses honest, you have to make them defend the entire field and the whole field is only available to an OC and his QB when he can set up and stay between the hash marks.

Defenses, especially good ones, have figured out the read option. You will not beat teams often enough to make it a staple to design your O around and your QB will take pounding as well.

The latest example of several over the years is Kaepernick. Compare All-22 tape from last year to his prior seasons and you can see it plain as day.

GO BILLS!!!

While I agree with you in theory, I'm not sure Russell Wilson operates out of the pocket om a consistent basis. Not saying that Taylor is anything close to Wilson but I think there are always exceptions to the rule.

I agree.  He'll succeed for a few games and eventually, a D-dude will get that lick on him that (a) knocks him out of the game, or (b) more seriously injures him.  The NFL has a way of beating the happy feat out of QBs that overuse it.

He is going to have to adapt in the long run.

I think TT has a better chance than most to adapt and make the transition. I hear he is extremely bright in the classroom and has been great at translating his coach's input to the field. But old habits die hard and it is often harder to unlearn old things than to learn new ones. I know he will bust his ass working at it though.

Next week should be a good test for him. Petine has a good D. TT is quite familiar with them though.

GO BILLS!!!

While I agree with you in theory, I'm not sure Russell Wilson operates out of the pocket om a consistent basis. Not saying that Taylor is anything close to Wilson but I think there are always exceptions to the rule.

Disagree. Wilson has made himself a good pocket QB and is night and day compared to his rookie year. Also, he was a pocket threat in college and has never been one to bail after his first option. He keeps plays alive with his feet and his eyes glued downfield. TT is still learning that aspect. Saw him a ton at VT and he was always a run first QB. My hope is that a few years of pro coaching combined with his intelligence and work ethic has helped. I just need to see it first.

EDIT: wanted to add that Wilson is far more accurate as well. Defenses have learned to respect that.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

To add off your point K9 about Wilson looking downfield as he scrambles, that's exactly what I was looking for TT last night on the 3rd and 8 where he scrambles left and Hogan runs up the field for a wide open dump off. TT didn't see him and ran short of the 1st whereas Wilson makes that throw everytime. Not saying TT couldn't get there, but I was disappointed he chose to run with it

Disagree. Wilson has made himself a good pocket QB and is night and day compared to his rookie year. Also, he was a pocket threat in college and has never been one to bail after his first option. He keeps plays alive with his feet and his eyes glued downfield. TT is still learning that aspect. Saw him a ton at VT and he was always a run first QB. My hope is that a few years of pro coaching combined with his intelligence and work ethic has helped. I just need to see it first.

EDIT: wanted to add that Wilson is far more accurate as well. Defenses have learned to respect that.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm still not sure that he makes defense respect the sideline out pattern that the typical NFL quarterback has always been measured by. I acknowledge that I haven't spent any time watching film, so correct me if I am wrong. 

No doubt that Wilson has evolved, hopefully Taylor can translate in game experience to do the same.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.