Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

A lot of good players would look pretty pedestrian if you remove their two best plays each week.

Edit: basically I think you're trying too hard to say "hey EJ isn't accurate" which anyone with eyes will agree with you in anyway.

You're probably right. 5/11 also gets the job done on what I was saying. And the many tweets that said how inaccurate he was yesterday.

Don't really know what point I was making with the 3/9 thing that I couldn't with 5/11.

Edited by Hoss

My twin brother occasionally has the setup. His father in-law works in the media and he relates to people very well. On separate occasions Jim Kelly and Bruce Smith gave my bro an out of the blue phone call. Now, it wouldn't mean as much to me. I'm a big Bills fan and miss the Kelly days, but my bro is at another level. What impressed me though is his reason why Jim Kelly is a person he respects/admires. It's not like in the past when Kelly was in the NFL. He's a hero so to speak because of who is today. Kelly has done a lot for the community and now provides hope to all w/ how he has handled the cancer he had to endure. Kelly is certainly a different person. Different in a good way of course. Certainly one to look up to and admire. 

You can argue that Tyrod's high completion percentage is because all he does is rely on his legs and checks it down.  They're both not likely to be good.  Really hope one is.

I was at the scrimmage Saturday and I too was disappointed in Tyrod, along with Rex and some fans around me.  (Note: I am REALLY rooting for Tyrod; he was the QB at VT when I was there.)

It seemed he had trouble numerous times getting through his progressions, or knowing where to look for his receivers.  He took off running the ball as his last resort more quickly and more often than I expected him to.  One time he had both Sammy and Woods wide left and didn't look over there at all before running with it (maybe there was immediate pressure that prevented that, but it did not seem so).  I know this is all with an untrained eye (mine), but just offering what I saw.

EJ looked VERY shaky the first two series.  His confidence went way up his last couple series though.  He looked very confident stepping up for those two strikes downfield (and another impressive strike that Hogan dropped 20 yards downfield, actually).

In all, while I'm not worried (because, hey, I have no idea what their practice plans really entail!), nothing about the scrimmage really instilled any confidence in me.

Oh, also, just found full play-by-play from Saturday's scrimmage: http://nysportsbiz.com/2015/08/09/bills-camp-full-play-by-play-transcript-of-saturdays-scrimmage/ It seems to suggest that Tyrod didn't take off running as many times as I recalled.

Also, after the scrimmage was over, the four QB's were doing cross-field sprints.  Not sure who dictated/suggested/pushed that they do such (I'd assume they were doing them under their own prerogative rather than punishment).  Cassel looks quite athletic.  Tyrod was crushin' them.  Corbin Bryant, separately, was doing cross-field sprints.

Also, many are hypothesizing that Cassel is getting the start Friday versus Panthers (per Rex) as a final audition, versus the Panthers' #1's on D.

Oh, also, just found full play-by-play from Saturday's scrimmage: http://nysportsbiz.com/2015/08/09/bills-camp-full-play-by-play-transcript-of-saturdays-scrimmage/ It seems to suggest that Tyrod didn't take off running as many times as I recalled.

Also, after the scrimmage was over, the four QB's were doing cross-field sprints.  Not sure who dictated/suggested/pushed that they do such (I'd assume they were doing them under their own prerogative rather than punishment).  Cassel looks quite athletic.  Tyrod was crushin' them.  Corbin Bryant, separately, was doing cross-field sprints.

Also, many are hypothesizing that Cassel is getting the start Friday versus Panthers (per Rex) as a final audition, versus the Panthers' #1's on D.

Last statement makes a ton of sense. 

I have to say, the rotating daily reports of "Cassel looked good today", "Taylor looked good today", "EJ looked good today" are pretty funny.  The thing seems to be overanalyzed to death, especially given that we haven't reached the first game.  This thing still has a lot of time to play out.  And ok, I'll admit that I've never actually seen the first quote I listed there.

Ignoring what Shrader just said: sounds like we've got our very first good day from Cassel. Taylor has looked solid again and EJ is having probably his worst day of camp.

Joe Buscaglia: #Bills QB Stats today:

Cassel 6/8, 3 TD

Taylor 5/6, sack

Manuel 2/8, INT

Ignoring what Shrader just said: sounds like we've got our very first good day from Cassel. Taylor has looked solid again and EJ is having probably his worst day of camp.

Cassel 6/8, 3 TD

Taylor 5/6, sack

Manuel 2/8, INT

I may have missed the background on all of this, but are you actually seeing these performances in purpose?  Personally, as someone who hasn't seen a single play, the whole QB race is next to impossible to follow.  With so many varying descriptions out there from person to person, it becomes one giant jumble.  This stuff can't find its way onto my TV soon enough.

Just got my Bills - Titans tickets for the game here in Nashville on October 11th.  There will be a section of several hundred Bills fans (coordinated by the Bills Backers club down here) with a massive tailgate planned.  Should be a good time.  If anyone wants to attend you can call Jessica at the Titans ticket office ASAP at 615-565-4264.

THANK YOU for the heads up.  Just called and ordered my four.  See details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/850594708381185/The rep (Jordan) said there have been 420+ tickets purchased through this group so far.  The seats will be in 331 or 332 (~25-yard line).  Tailgate is within the stadium, starting two hours prior to kickoff, and includes buffet plus three drink tickets.

For what it's worth, the cheapest tickets I see for that 331/332 right now are $65.  This package is $85, guarantees lower in the section and with the Bills group, plus the tailgate party.

I may have missed the background on all of this, but are you actually seeing these performances in purpose? Personally, as someone who hasn't seen a single play, the whole QB race is next to impossible to follow. With so many varying descriptions out there from person to person, it becomes one giant jumble. This stuff can't find its way onto my TV soon enough.

For whatever it's worth, I think the reporters have pretty much been in agreement each day on how the QBs have been performing. I haven't seen a single snap myself, but I feel like there's a pretty clear picture being painted by those who have.

For whatever it's worth, I think the reporters have pretty much been in agreement each day on how the QBs have been performing. I haven't seen a single snap myself, but I feel like there's a pretty clear picture being painted by those who have.

Also, for whatever it's worth, I know several people who attended today's practice who's opinion I would value over ANY reporter's, especially Joe B's, and they all said Joe B must have been watching a different practice entirely when it came to evaluating EJ's performance today. 

GO BILLS!!!

Also, for whatever it's worth, I know several people who attended today's practice who's opinion I would value over ANY reporter's, especially Joe B's, and they all said Joe B must have been watching a different practice entirely when it came to evaluating EJ's performance today.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd love to know how 2/8 and a pick can be construed as good.

Cassel 6/8, 3 TD

Taylor 5/6, sack

Manuel 2/8, INT

I live in the region. I drive by on 490 all the time. That's my link to the city. Everyone that I've talked to locally that have been to camp seem to think that Tyrod runs around too much and sets himself up for would be sacks. I haven't been yet. I can't say that myself. IMO that is as bad as a qb that is inconsistent in passing or a qb that is "meh". I look forward to live action. No excuses in preseason. Right?

I'd love to know how 2/8 and a pick can be construed as good.

Not saying it was good, just not nearly the schit storm portrayed by some in the media. Not even close. Wrong routes were run on the pick and a deep ball intended for Harvin, who simply stopped running. Joe B tweeted out "horrid throw" on the wrong route INT, which was complete bullcrap. Joe B also had EJ as missing "badly" when WRs were running against air, but he was a perfect 9/9. 

None of this is a defense of EJ Manuel. It is an indictment of Joe B and others in the media who tweet things without context. 

GO BILLS!!!

Not saying it was good, just not nearly the schit storm portrayed by some in the media. Not even close. Wrong routes were run on the pick and a deep ball intended for Harvin, who simply stopped running. Joe B tweeted out "horrid throw" on the wrong route INT, which was complete bullcrap. Joe B also had EJ as missing "badly" when WRs were running against air, but he was a perfect 9/9. 

None of this is a defense of EJ Manuel. It is an indictment of Joe B and others in the media who tweet things without context. 

GO BILLS!!!

Watched about an hour of practice last Wednesday. Each of the 3 had a couple of real nice throws, several awful ones, and a bunch of 'ehh' throws. Because EJ seems to have the strongest arm, I'd hope he wins the competition; the problem is, his short throws were not even close to consistent and I'd be real concerned that he gets a back or wide out killed on an errant dink pass.

Very surprised to see how short Taylor is. Listed at 6'1" but I'd be surprised if he's even 6'.

Looking forward to the preseason games, but not expecting much.

I live in the region. I drive by on 490 all the time. That's my link to the city. Everyone that I've talked to locally that have been to camp seem to think that Tyrod runs around too much and sets himself up for would be sacks. I haven't been yet. I can't say that myself. IMO that is as bad as a qb that is inconsistent in passing or a qb that is "meh". I look forward to live action. No excuses in preseason. Right?

I've gone to three practices this year (Day 1, the first night practice, and the scrimmage). I can say that Taylor has done a very good job of picking when to run compared to where he was on day 1. On that first day, there was an instance or 2 where he tucked and ran in 7v7. I was shocked as I never witnessed that before. Typically if no one is open, you simply throw it out of bounds. 

Anyways, at the scrimmage Tyrod stayed in the pocket for as long as he could. As Rex said today, the 2nd team d-line is further ahead than the 2nd team o-line so when any QB was with the backups, they were seeing bullets fly past them. After about 3 instances of correctly tucking the ball and running for a chunk of yards, Tyrod bailed out of the pocket too quickly so the heat did lead to an inadvertent scramble eventually but overall he seems to want to prove he is a quarterback who can play in the pocket when given time to throw. 

I've gone to three practices this year (Day 1, the first night practice, and the scrimmage). I can say that Taylor has done a very good job of picking when to run compared to where he was on day 1. On that first day, there was an instance or 2 where he tucked and ran in 7v7. I was shocked as I never witnessed that before. Typically if no one is open, you simply throw it out of bounds.

Anyways, at the scrimmage Tyrod stayed in the pocket for as long as he could. As Rex said today, the 2nd team d-line is further ahead than the 2nd team o-line so when any QB was with the backups, they were seeing bullets fly past them. After about 3 instances of correctly tucking the ball and running for a chunk of yards, Tyrod bailed out of the pocket too quickly so the heat did lead to an inadvertent scramble eventually but overall he seems to want to prove he is a quarterback who can play in the pocket when given time to throw.

I appreciate your observations. I have been a regular at camp except for the last two years. Time and circumstance catch up with me. I don't care who gets the call so long as they produce. I don't care about performance. I care about results. May the best option win...

My twin brother occasionally has the setup. His father in-law works in the media and he relates to people very well. On separate occasions Jim Kelly and Bruce Smith gave my bro an out of the blue phone call. Now, it wouldn't mean as much to me. I'm a big Bills fan and miss the Kelly days, but my bro is at another level. What impressed me though is his reason why Jim Kelly is a person he respects/admires. It's not like in the past when Kelly was in the NFL. He's a hero so to speak because of who is today. Kelly has done a lot for the community and now provides hope to all w/ how he has handled the cancer he had to endure. Kelly is certainly a different person. Different in a good way of course. Certainly one to look up to and admire.

I like this. Thank you. It touches more than a few chapters in my life.

@ChrisTrapasso

Doubt 64.4% / 6.9 YPA / 12:8 TD/INT ratio w/o pressure is superb. But there's thought EJ can't even hit broad side of barn. Which isn't true

Russell Wilson w/o pressure thru 14 games: 71.1% / 8.8YPA / 17TD 8INT. Matt Ryan: 67.1% / 8.2YPA / 12TD 6 INT. So Manuel's stats not as good

Manuel's w/o pressure stats thru 14 games more similar to Flacco (64.1% / 7.2YPA / 9TD 9INT) and Tannehill (61.1% / 6.8YPA 8TD 9INT)

GO BILLS!!!

I think the problem with Joe B is that he has no football background at all but fancies himself a football expert. I see him as a typical knowledgeable football fan who doesn't recognize the minutiae of the game that you can only learn from playing or coaching. There's no shame in that. The issue is he has a job that he need to keep and he's trying to create an identity of a "local reporter who's very knowledgeable".

That would explain why Eric Wood would think he's an idiot for grading blocking drills and he can't recognize that Harvin didn't run the correct route. He's just tunnel visioning when in order to understand the whole field you need to open your eyes to every position (even the boring ones like O-line). The EJ bias could just stem from predictions he made in the past that he needs to be true so he can say "see, I predicted that, I know what I'm talking about".

Edited by musichunch

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.