Tage Thompson- What the h*** happened?!?!

JoeSchmoe

36 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’m all for holding players accountable and agree dropping him down to a lower line can do that, by why last night? Tage had four points, was a plus 3 and playing well over the previous two wins so why disrupt that rhythm? I think Donny G over thinks and forces things sometimes and I wonder if the players don’t appreciate that. 

Danny Briere talked about Tage being immediately dropped from his line on his show. He conjectured that the issue probably wasn't just about this game but also related to how players practiced. The game plan against this hot Seattle team that plays a very tough and structured/disciplined game was to play a more patient and simplified game. The coach didn't want his team to get frustrated and respond with over handling the puck against this defensively oriented team. When Tage over handled the puck and got caught up in the trap in his first couple of shifts, the coach quickly jerked him off the top line and relegated him to a lower line. The message was not only being sent to Tage (one of our best players) but it was also being sent to all the players that deviating from the game plan and from what the coach was instructing wasn't going to be tolerated. 

Supposedly, in practice Tage was back with the top line. I have no problem with how the HC handled the situation in last night's game. 

• Like (+1) 3

20 hours ago, bunomatic said:

I think this team are all questioning this coaching staff. Quietly. They’ve lost confidence in the system(whatever it is) as well as their own abilities. Hard to believe after the season they had previously but an athletes confidence is a fickle thing. Tage was a monster last season. He’s not the same player by a country mile. Can’t remember the last time a play or move or shot by him took me out of my seat. 

This is a great point.  If we know the coaching isn't good enough, I'm guessing the Sabres players do to

i bet most, if not all, the players think Matt Ellis is a joke and also have come to the realization that Don (who I'm sure they all love as a person) has taken them as far as he can 

I'm hopeful KA is a game or two away from pulling the plug.    But not holding my breathe 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Danny Briere talked about Tage being immediately dropped from his line on his show. He conjectured that the issue probably wasn't just about this game but also related to how players practiced. The game plan against this hot Seattle team that plays a very tough and structured/disciplined game was to play a more patient and simplified game. The coach didn't want his team to get frustrated and respond with over handling the puck against this defensively oriented team. When Tage over handled the puck and got caught up in the trap in his first couple of shifts, the coach quickly jerked him off the top line and relegated him to a lower line. The message was not only being sent to Tage (one of our best players) but it was also being sent to all the players that deviating from the game plan and from what the coach was instructing wasn't going to be tolerated. 

Supposedly, in practice Tage was back with the top line. I have no problem with how the HC handled the situation in last night's game. 

Oh, wow. 

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

Danny Briere? Anyway, I’ll just agree to disagree that Granato handled the situation in the best way by disrupting a line that was dominant in their consecutive wins against the Habs and the Pens. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Tage has been hurt and had some personal stressers this season.

The biggest issue is the Sabres have tried to change the game that these guys play.  Most of the team is offensive minded first.  The coaches and management really had the playoff as the only goal this season.  After missing by 1 point last year with a great offense they decided to have every player tighten it up defencively.  It has not gone very well for any of them.

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Danny Briere? Anyway, I’ll just agree to disagree that Granato handled the situation in the best way by disrupting a line that was dominant in their consecutive wins against the Habs and the Pens. 

When you get older your mind gets scrambled a little. It was Marty Biron. I have a tendency to mix up these short French Guys. With respect to how Granato and how he handled the situation: He's the coach. He sets the strategy and determines how he wants his players to play. A player wasn't responding to his directives. He quickly meted out a consequence. How do you think a coach such as Torts or Brind'Amour would have handled a player/s not following his instructions? 

With respect to TT being moved off of the top line and how it impacted the team: Mitts moving up to the top line didn't hurt its production. 

The Sabres are barely hanging on to a playoff hope. They have no chance to succeed if the players don't abide by what the coach is telling them. If the coach allows his players to be dismissive of what he is telling them, he will lose the respect of his players and be a failure as a coach. 

I really believe its off the ice distractions that are bogging this team down this season. 

I'm not saying it's the only reason nor that every player is distracted or being pulled away from the ice be it mentally/ physically or both.

What I am saying, is that it's happening.

It's happening more than we realize because it's life and for most of them, their lives are changing in significant ways right now. 

Chalk it up to the youngest team in the league. 

Makes the need for vets in the offseason more glaring.

Couple old grizzled divorcees or lifetime bachelors woulda been nice 😛

Also. TNT is hurt.

Probably dealing with more than we know. 

My seemingly weekly update on what is wrong with the team this year, compared to last year.  Not Power, not Dahlin, not coaching,  not the PP (well maybe but that would be tied into the other issue.) Not the goalies....Nope.  Its primarly 2 guys, Tuch and Cozens.

The Sabres are on pace to allow 22 goals LESS than last season, that is a pretty big improvement. They are on pace to score 52 LESS than last year, that is the issue.

Skinner had 35 last year, he is on pace to beat that slightly (37 I think). Its not him.

Dahlin had 15 last year, he is on pace for 24....Not him.

Mitts had 15 last year...on pace for 22..Not him.

Peterka had 12...on pace for 24...not him (as a matter of fact, he's not quite making up for VO's drop in production, but when you consider VO's ice time is down almost 30% from last year...in terms of goals per 60, the 2 of them are on a collective pace close to last year).

Quinn just came back, but he looks better this year than last.

Even Okposo is way ahead of last years pace.

You have 7 guys who have over 500 minute of ice time at forward this year: Mitts, Peterka, Skinner, Cozens, Tuch, Thompson, Okposo....... Mitts, Peterka, Skinner, and Okposo have IMPOVED production from last year. Dahlin and Power dominate total ice time on the back end, and combined their production is higher than last year.

So, If its coaching, Why are 4 of the 7 guys with over 500 minutes of ice time doing equal to or better than last year...and why are your top 2 D-men also doing better than last year in terms of offense, WHILE your goals allowed are down?

Answer.  Thompson and Cozens (Tuch a little but mostly Thompson and Cozens)

Last year Thompson and Cozens gave you 84 goals.  This year, they are on pace for 36 (they have 18 combined through half the season)  That is a difference of 48 goals.

So, to summarize, the team is allowing less goals per game than last year.  Your top guys in ice time are doing equal to or better than last year in terms of goal scoring EXCEPT for 2 primarly, Thompson and Cozens. The projected shortfall of your ENTIRE TEAM in terms of goals scored is 52, and those 2 guys are accounting for a pace of 48 of those 52 goal shortfall.

Maybe Granato is or isn't the long term answer at coach. Maybe Power has not taken any step forward (or possibly a step back) this year. Maybe the goalies are not what you need to go deep into the playoffs. Maybe Tuch is playing hurt...lots of maybes.  But as much as many of us have one of those things are are upset about and this team losing allows us to focus on our topic of choice....the bottom line is not much is different about the team this year....actually some things are better...except for 2 players production. Tuch and Cozens.

Again, if its coaching, why have so many other guys on this team actually gotten better production, or at least similar production to last year...but not those 2?

Some more numbers on Tage (not too surprising but here goes):

-Last year he scored in 33 different games for the Sabres. The Sabres had 48 points in those 33 games (120 point pace)  He scored in MORE THAN 40% of the Sabres games last year. Remember the Sabres won 8 out of 9 at the end of January last year? Thompson scored in 7 of those 8 wins (10 goals) HE was basically the reason for that streak.  THIS YEAR, he has scored in 10 of the Sabres 41 games (only 24% of this years games played for the team). This year, the team has 26 points in the 31 games he has NOT scored in (a 68 point pace).  Again, its common sense that you do better when your top scorers actually produce, but the numbers show without a doubt, this team is great when he does score, they are close to the bottom of the league when he doesn't.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

So the coach that took him from an afterthought and turned him into a star (the perception last year) is suddenly the coach that ruined him. Huh. 

Your sarcasm meter needs repair.

On 1/9/2024 at 10:49 PM, bunomatic said:

I think this team are all questioning this coaching staff. Quietly. They’ve lost confidence in the system(whatever it is) as well as their own abilities. Hard to believe after the season they had previously but an athletes confidence is a fickle thing. Tage was a monster last season. He’s not the same player by a country mile. Can’t remember the last time a play or move or shot by him took me out of my seat. 

Bun, I agree. I think it’s tough on a guy like Tage. He clearly likes Donny as he lifted him up and look what he became. But he also probably knows that they need to be pushed harder and that Donny needs to go. 

I think we will be a better team when a new coach who’s got some stones and will make this team understand there are no more free rides. 

• Agree 1

On 1/9/2024 at 11:55 PM, JoeSchmoe said:

He used to be really good at hockey. Now he's not. 

Most nights it doesn't even look like he's trying to be good at hockey, the way he plods along, hoping he can do something good at half speed.

Most of the points he is getting are passenger type points... He's not driving play.

Demote him, sit him, claw his ice back... Do something.

PS- Last year I posted a "what happened to Thompson" thread and he went off like crazy immediately after🤞

😁

Edited by JoeSchmoe

Lots of over reacting on Tage.  He was put on the line with Greenway and Benson because they clicked at one point earlier in the season when lines were reshuffled due to injury.  The 1st line 3rd line thing means little, it’s TOI that matters.  Oddly, he played more minutes against Seattle (a bad game) than Ottawa ( a good game)

Tage had some injuries to start the season, he had a slow start, more injuries, another baby, his wife is a cancer survivor and that means there is always extra concern for her.  

He is probably one of the more squared away young men we have had in the organization.  He works hard on his game.  He is a scorer that can be streaky. 

I think he needs a few simple adjustments, like less dangle and more of his straight forward strength and power.  At some point he has to learn that he can physically dominate if he is willing to get a little dirty.  He should be shooting the puck sooner.  Too much thinking going on this season.   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I think he needs a few simple adjustments, like less dangle and more of his straight forward strength and power.  At some point he has to learn that he can physically dominate if he I is willing to get a little dirty.  He should be shooting the puck sooner.  Too much thinking going on this season.   

This.

As soon as he gets the puck he goes east or west, dangling. The back pressure easily catches up and contains him. 
Going north and just shooting is a recipe for his success.