Tage Thompson- What the h*** happened?!?!

JoeSchmoe

9 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

But what you are describing sounds like accountability, I was promised by SabreSpace that the Sabres have none of that. So, it must be something else.

I was thinking the same thing.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

Dahlin can get like this to.  Another minus 3 tonight and minus 13 on the season.

Yep, he looks too cool to care especially in his own end. Just like Thompson is too cool to pick up a puck at 110% speed and blast around a defender like he used to do at will.

7 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

But what you are describing sounds like accountability, I was promised by SabreSpace that the Sabres have none of that. So, it must be something else.

Quickly dropping Tage, one of the team's best players, down to a lower line is holding this player accountable. And the message should also resonate to the other players that no one is immune from being held accountable. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

13 minutes ago, Believer said:

Thompson needs to watch a few games from the Press Box… 

I won't go that far just yet. However, if he continues to be resistant to what he is being told, then he should be dispatched to the team box to get a better perspective on the game. By all accounts, Tage is a quality person and a team guy. But stubbornness has consequences. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I won't go that far just yet. However, if he continues to be resistant to what he is being told, then he should be dispatched to the team box to get a better perspective on the game. By all accounts, Tage is a quality person and a team guy. But stubbornness has consequences. 

I could see that - And then when you get dumped off your line its like... well F this guy, i dont know where anyone on the ice is so its just going to be more of me skating around and holding the puck.  

This team does not have cohesion - and that to me is coaching.  I'm done with granato.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

If your best players aren’t your hardest workers your team will not reach its full potential.

Dahlin can get like this to.  Another minus 3 tonight and minus 13 on the season.

do not group dahlin with the rest of these players. he has always worked hard. his frustration level must be off the charts. I think he is the one that needs to start holding everyone else accountable. Our only elite player on sabres and has been stuck in heck since he came into league. At some point he will want a trade. 

Thompson is playing like skinner now. if skinner is not accountable why should Thompson? both floaters.

• Like (+1) 2

What happened to him?

A career year is what happened. He’s still really good. It was never more likely than not that he would truly stabilize among the game’s top 10-15 forwards, as his output was reflective of that season. I think we can probably get better than we’ve seen, though.

Good news is his contract is fine for what we are seeing I think 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

There's more to the coaching staff than just Granato.  And it's possible they love the whole crew, but honestly don't see how at least a couple of the assistants aren't wearing out their welcome.

idk, I think they are all a package deal. You can single out one or the other but I don't think it would change much. 

I'm watching Granato's presser on youtube right now and it's just excuses and lame positives. There isn't ANY anger or sense of accountability. (and to the other post, yup, the media questions are definitely softballs)

Just once I'd like  them to admit they sucked. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

idk, I think they are all a package deal. You can single out one or the other but I don't think it would change much. 

I'm watching Granato's presser on youtube right now and it's just excuses and lame positives. There isn't ANY anger or sense of accountability. (and to the other post, yup, the media questions are definitely softballs)

Just once I'd like  them to admit they sucked. 

Just hit play 

I would highly recommend watching and listening closely from :20 to 1:00

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Just hit play 

I meant the current group and most of all Granato but yes, there was this Jack moment and look where he ended up. We all put blame on him and we were all glad of the trade and re-set and now I think we all know that Eichel-Reinhart-Risto were NOT the problem. All three of them are now on teams doing better than they were (even Risto) and the Sabres are, well, the same. We could get into ROR too if you like. 

It all leads to one conclusion, it's not the players. It's the organization itself. It's the coaches, management AND ownership as the point all of that comes from. Unless that changes, not going to matter who we draft or trade for. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

I meant the current group and most of all Granato but yes, there was this Jack moment and look where he ended up. We all put blame on him and we were all glad of the trade and re-set and now I think we all know that Eichel-Reinhart-Risto were NOT the problem. All three of them are now on teams doing better than they were (even Risto) and the Sabres are, well, the same. We could get into ROR too if you like. 

It all leads to one conclusion, it's not the players. It's the organization itself. It's the coaches, management AND ownership as the point all of that comes from. Unless that changes, not going to matter who we draft or trade for. 

There’s a better embedded version 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

He used to be really good at hockey. Now he's not. 

Most nights it doesn't even look like he's trying to be good at hockey, the way he plods along, hoping he can do something good at half speed.

Most of the points he is getting are passenger type points... He's not driving play.

Demote him, sit him, claw his ice back... Do something.

PS- Last year I posted a "what happened to Thompson" thread and he went off like crazy immediately after. 🤞

I think the league is onto Tommy Dangle. He has to change his game and dangle a little less.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

His skating looks off for some reason, almost like he's breaking in new skates, his turns and pivots look stiff like he struggling to get on his edges. 

I believe that he had a brace on his knee that recently has been removed. So, a leg issue may be hindering him. I agree with you that for a while his skating hasn't been as free flowing. But the issue that has stoked the coach's ire is his tendency to force a play by keeping the puck when passing it would be his best option. His trying to do too much has been a fault. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

do not group dahlin with the rest of these players. he has always worked hard. his frustration level must be off the charts. I think he is the one that needs to start holding everyone else accountable. Our only elite player on sabres and has been stuck in heck since he came into league. At some point he will want a trade. 

Thompson is playing like skinner now. if skinner is not accountable why should Thompson? both floaters.

I disagree. He often floats. He's just so good that it is harder to tell. I thought he had gotten that part out of his game, but he has reverted back to what he looked like before his last ASG. 

Edited by SwampD
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What happened to him?

A career year is what happened. He’s still really good. It was never more likely than not that he would truly stabilize among the game’s top 10-15 forwards, as his output was reflective of that season. I think we can probably get better than we’ve seen, though.

Good news is his contract is fine for what we are seeing I think 

on pace for 32 goals/34 assists (66 points) per 82 this year. His 'breakout' year in 2021-22 he had 38 goals, 30 assists (68 points) in 78 games. So yes, last year could be a career year, and he is back to what he did (basically) in his first breakout year.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I disagree. He often floats. He's just so good that it is harder to tell. I thought he had gotten that part out of his game, but he has reverted back to what he looked like before his last ASG. 

I'm someplace between both of you. I don't think he floats 'a lot', but I can see 2 reasons for why he might.  First, his ice time.  25 minutes per game. Several games this year in the 28-29 minute range....AND with this forward group in front of him those might be the hardest minutes any top D-man plays both physically and mentally.  Secondly, I think he is legit frustrated right now...I realize as a leader he needs to fight through that though.  My point is I don't think he is floating because of a lack of effort as much as some of the forwards are....but it IS showing a bit in his game.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm someplace between both of you. I don't think he floats 'a lot', but I can see 2 reasons for why he might.  First, his ice time.  25 minutes per game. Several games this year in the 28-29 minute range....AND with this forward group in front of him those might be the hardest minutes any top D-man plays both physically and mentally.  Secondly, I think he is legit frustrated right now...I realize as a leader he needs to fight through that though.  My point is I don't think he is floating because of a lack of effort as much as some of the forwards are....but it IS showing a bit in his game.

Good call.

I love hockey. My love for the Sabres is waning. I feel disengaged. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen them skate hard, hit hard and out shoot the other team.

Bring back Lindy Ruff and bring back the tough as nails attitude. I think I’m checking out for a month. Maybe I’ll check box scores, maybe. 

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

Quickly dropping Tage, one of the team's best players, down to a lower line is holding this player accountable. And the message should also resonate to the other players that no one is immune from being held accountable. 

I’m all for holding players accountable and agree dropping him down to a lower line can do that, by why last night? Tage had four points, was a plus 3 and playing well over the previous two wins so why disrupt that rhythm? I think Donny G over thinks and forces things sometimes and I wonder if the players don’t appreciate that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1