2023 trade speculation and rumors

Eleven

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is a humorous thread read.

I know others on this board disagree, but I wouldn't trade Peterka for Kane Straight up, forget about throwing in other assets.  Kane is sliding.  Scoring is up this year and he has a total of 9 goals.  As others have pointed out, some of his D-zone and possession alalytics are off-the-charts bad.  

His shooting perecentage for the past few years is close to half of what it was at his peak...he either no longer wants, or is unable at this point to make it to the prime shooting areas he used to.  He is getting over 55% offensive zone starts, he gets all the Power play time he wants, and his production is still falling. He simply isn't a good player anymore.

He might, MIGHT have something in him for a playoff run for someone in a limited role, but I'd even doubt that. He is a player with a lot of 'wear on the tires' and is in clear decline.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I know others on this board disagree, but I wouldn't trade Peterka for Kane Straight up, forget about throwing in other assets.  Kane is sliding.  Scoring is up this year and he has a total of 9 goals.  As others have pointed out, some of his D-zone and possession alalytics are off-the-charts bad.  

He might, MIGHT have something in him for a playoff run for someone in a limited role, but I'd even doubt that. He is a player with a lot of 'wear on the tires' and is in clear decline.

I think Kane would immediately become a fan favorite, maybe fill up the arena a little. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • dislike 1

6 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

His shooting perecentage for the past few years is close to half of what it was at his peak...he either no longer wants, or is unable at this point to make it to the prime shooting areas he used to.

I think it's the kind of deal that you make if you are trying to make a deep run into the playoffs.  We're just trying to get there.  If Kane really wants to come here, I wait until free agency.  The defense is the only position I'd be upgrading through trade at this point, mostly because I don't see a goalie deal coming.  The kids up front need to be making this run together at this point and the expiring contracts of Girgensons and Okposo aren't going anywhere at this point.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

I think Kane would immediately become a fan favorite, maybe fill up the arena a little. 

Until he’s on the ice for 15 goals allowed in 4 games.  

13 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

His shooting perecentage for the past few years is close to half of what it was at his peak...he either no longer wants, or is unable at this point to make it to the prime shooting areas he used to.  He is getting over 55% offensive zone starts, he gets all the Power play time he wants, and his production is still falling. He simply isn't a good player anymore.

Dude is flat out garbage now.  I wouldn’t trade anything for him.  They would need to add something for me to take him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

I think it's the kind of deal that you make if you are trying to make a deep run into the playoffs.  We're just trying to get there.  If Kane really wants to come here, I wait until free agency.  The defense is the only position I'd be upgrading through trade at this point, mostly because I don't see a goalie deal coming.  The kids up front need to be making this run together at this point and the expiring contracts of Girgensons and Okposo aren't going anywhere at this point.

I doubt one be available I'd still be looking for a starting goalie, UPL been good but not great. Comrie's been horrible and Anderson while good is only good for spot duty. 

31 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Can't see the Sabres making a trade for him.

Can't really see him replacing Okposo's role next year.  (Assuming Okposo wants to move on at that point.)

Realize this is s little crazy, considering Kane is a future HoFer, but don't really see a space on this roster that he upgrades enough to get rid of up & coming youth for his veteran presence for 1-2 years.

Meaning don't see them signing I'm as a FA either.

• Agree 1

Just now, Scottysabres said:

No, but if that did happen, I'd find that humorous.....😀 

I believe that. Same as stubbing your toe. Not funny to the victim but funny to others. Either way, Adams would have to be chump of the year to actually think that is a good proposal for the Sabres. He's not a chump.

• Agree 1

Just now, Taro T said:

Can't see the Sabres making a trade for him.

Can't really see him replacing Okposo's role next year.  (Assuming Okposo wants to move on at that point.)

Realize this is s little crazy, considering Kane is a future HoFer, but don't really see a space on this roster that he upgrades enough to get rid of up & coming youth for his veteran presence for 1-2 years.

These are just delusions from Hawks Twitter. Their "reasons" are laughable and show no understanding of what Adams and the Sabres are doing. I agree with you Kane wouldn't be a fit on this roster.

• Thanks (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Kane's only route to this roster is as a UFA at about 2x$2.5M to play 3W and the Sabres would have to move VO to make it happen (once Quinn and JJP take their steps forward on the scoresheet). Kane has no other use to this team.

51 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

If the fans need Kane as an excuse to buy tickets and jump on this team's ascent, then they're not very good fans.

• Like (+1) 2
  • dislike 1

1 hour ago, OverPowerYou said:

And neither of those things should be the priority.

Kane doesn't bring anything they need. They need defense. If Peterka is getting moved it needs to be for a similar level young defenseman.

• Agree 1

I guess I’m in the minority, but I have room for Kane on the second line with Cozens and Quinn. Kane also might be a huge boost to PP2.

Preface the rest with saying this is so unlikely to happen for all of the reasons mentioned. But I don’t hate it if the cost was very low.  

Everybody shuffles down one spot in the lineup.  VO & Peterka might be a great wing combo.  I’m not NOT making a trade because a third line is playing alright together. 

I also worry about an injury to our top six. Kane would be the depth/insurance that I’m looking for.  I’m listening to anyone who has a top six UFA rental that will help get this team to the playoffs. 

Where I lose interest is the cost to acquire.  Anything other than a mid round pick & a B-level prospect or I pass.  And the Hawks aren’t embarrassing a HOFer for a junk return like that.  

8 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I guess I’m in the minority, but I have room for Kane on the second line with Cozens and Quinn. Kane also might be a huge boost to PP2.

Preface the rest with saying this is so unlikely to happen for all of the reasons mentioned. But I don’t hate it if the cost was very low.  

Everybody shuffles down one spot in the lineup.  VO & Peterka might be a great wing combo.  I’m not NOT making a trade because a third line is playing alright together. 

I also worry about an injury to our top six. Kane would be the depth/insurance that I’m looking for.  I’m listening to anyone who has a top six UFA rental that will help get this team to the playoffs. 

Where I lose interest is the cost to acquire.  Anything other than a mid round pick & a B-level prospect or I pass.  And the Hawks aren’t embarrassing a HOFer for a junk return like that.  

This is where I am as well.  I'm not giving up anything real to trade for Kane this year, but if he wants to come home this summer and sign for, say, 2 years x $6MM per year, I'd gladly plug him in on Cozens' line.

I would rather trade for Timo Meier than waste assets on Patrick Kane. He can't score 5v5 and yea Chicago is bad but he also is not helping them at all. Further, we already know the character concerns and the ego that P Kane has and I have no desire to add some strutting vet into that locker room. 

Anyone talking about putting him on Cozens line is missing the growth that JJP and Quinn are going to do. You don't stifle that for a short term gain unless you are in the Tim Murray school of rushing. I guess what I am saying is I have more faith in JJP and Quinn than I do in Patrick Kane. I would rather give those 2 the time to learn and grow than give Kane money and chicago assets. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Really quick, this trade is total garbage. It is one of the worst trade proposals I have seen and the fact a "serious" blog is publishing this shows how little they know the Sabres and how much they overvalue their own junk. It isn't Roy for Malkin but woof is it bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

Until this year Kane has been a consistent point producer and would have led the Sabres in scoring for most of the last decade. 

The last few years on bad teams have taken a toll on his game and reputation but I'll go on record now and say he will have one helluva playoff run for the acquiring team. 

Possibly leading them in points and garnering MVP votes along the way.

He's been cruising all year, resting up and waiting for the opportunity. 

I wouldn't trade for him for this current Sabres team though. 

On 2/7/2023 at 12:21 AM, Buffalonill said:
On 2/6/2023 at 9:54 PM, Flashsabre said:

On the Sportsnet panel they had a hypothetical trade they were discussing:

Van sends Quinn Hughes to NJ for Nemec, Mercer and a conditional 1st.

The Devils having all 3 Hughes brothers would be a major marketing tool. Canucks would get 3 very good pieces. Interesting idea.

That is a horrible trade lol rather have Nemec

Sarcastic So Cool GIF by Rooster Teeth

Yeah, remember when we had both O'Reilly brothers?

What The Hell Thumbs Down GIF by Aurora Consulting: Business, Insurance, Financing Experts

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

If the fans need Kane as an excuse to buy tickets and jump on this team's ascent, then they're not very good fans.

Unfortunately, the majority of fans aren’t like us.  Ok maybe fortunately.  They don’t watch every game, know all the players height, weight and junior/college/Europe team.  They catch a few games here and there.  Watch the highlights, hear the breaking news.   

Those fans still need convincing. A guy like Kane moves the needle for them.  They just don’t know he sucks now. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.