2023 trade speculation and rumors

Eleven

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

The interesting thing about Chychrun is because his family and the Pegulas are friends is that when he becomes a UFA they COULD (not would, but could) have a gentleman's agreement to a reasonable deal in the NHL and then him getting a "job" in one of the Pegulas' businesses a year or 2 after he retires that makes his overall pay through the years in line w/ what he could've made playing for a different team.

Again, not saying the Sabres nor he would do such a thing, but it would be pretty tough to make a collusion case against it based on their history.

This violates many rules. Many 

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

IF they get Chychrun, it sets up an interesting dynamic.  Do they pair him w/ Power and go w/ @Thorny's nightmare scenario of the top 4D all being lefties or do they slightly balance the 2nd & 3rd pairings a bit more keeping the top 4 as is & bumping Bryson into the pressbox?

You were prob joking but Not a nightmare scenario my function was merely pointing out the very low rate of a particular configuration in the relevant past. I don’t want it to not happen I couldn’t care less, if it works. Simply pointing out that while obviously possible it’s also obviously not a fluke that it’s heavily trended a certain way, historically, regardless of why.

Even Dahlin playing consistently on his off hand top pair was something I thought more unlikely that not: because it’s simply not a very common thing. It’s just an odds bet: generally there’s only a couple league wide doing it on top pair and I’ve run the numbers. Of course there are always exceptions - Dahlin IS a unicorn so it certainly jives in that sense. So my guess being wrong there, I mean at this point I don’t think a top 4 all lhd is that unlikely as we got the hardest part of that out of the way. Dunno if it happens though 

Edited by Thorny

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

The interesting thing about Chychrun is because his family and the Pegulas are friends is that when he becomes a UFA they COULD (not would, but could) have a gentleman's agreement to a reasonable deal in the NHL and then him getting a "job" in one of the Pegulas' businesses a year or 2 after he retires that makes his overall pay through the years in line w/ what he could've made playing for a different team.

Again, not saying the Sabres nor he would do such a thing, but it would be pretty tough to make a collusion case against it based on their history.

This isn’t cap circumvention? lol 

I actually have no idea but it seems quite shady 

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

You were prob joking but Not a nightmare scenario my function was merely pointing out the very low rate of a particular configuration in the relevant past. I don’t want it to not happen I couldn’t care less, if it works. Simply pointing out that while obviously possible it’s also obviously not a fluke that it’s heavily trended a certain way, historically, regardless of why.

Even Dahlin playing consistently on his off hand top pair was something I thought more unlikely that not: because it’s simply not a very common thing. It’s just an odds bet: generally there’s only a couple league wide doing it on top pair and I’ve run the numbers. Of course there are always exceptions - Dahlin IS a unicorn so it certainly jives in that sense. So my guess being wrong there, I mean at this point I don’t think a top 4 all lhd is that unlikely as we got the hardest part of that out of the way. Dunno if it happens though 

Yeah, it was an exaggeration of your position about specifically D-handedness but also your dislike for F lines being comprised of a single handedness.

21 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Yikes. A 1st?

Don't do it Adams.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if nobody makes a better offer for him than the Phlyers 2nd.  (CAN see somebody giving up a high 1st, but wouldn't have any money on it.)

Considering that the Hawks are in full on rebuild mode, that Filly 2nd could get the deal done.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Chiarot should be a warning against a 1st for a d-only guy who is best in the bottom 3 but has meshed with a few really good players over the years so you talk yourself into them being a top-4. 

Well, Chiarot is the cautionary tale for why McCabe MAY net a 1st.  But also why the Filly 2nd should be enough to land him.

Edited by Taro T

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

😂🤣 “asking price includes a first”😂🤣

It looks like McCabe has played well this year, but the only way that I can imagine a 2023 1st+ actually being paid for him would be a GM who feels like his job is on the line unless his team does well in the playoffs.  Does anyone qualify?

2023 is one of the strongest drafts in years supposedly.  No way we should be trading away our first, even if it got us in the playoffs, there;s no way we're competing with a Boston type team with our current D and goalies.  If you can get someone cheaper to replace Bryson, I'm all for it though.  I don't need to see him play ever again.  Why in the world is he starting over Klague, his stats and advanced metrics are beyond horrible.  Why do we need to be starting a very undersized dman who obviously can't play D and provides nothing offensively.  He is way below replacement level.

3 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

2023 is one of the strongest drafts in years supposedly.  No way we should be trading away our first, even if it got us in the playoffs, there;s no way we're competing with a Boston type team with our current D and goalies.  If you can get someone cheaper to replace Bryson, I'm all for it though.  I don't need to see him play ever again.  Why in the world is he starting over Klague, his stats and advanced metrics are beyond horrible.  Why do we need to be starting a very undersized dman who obviously can't play D and provides nothing offensively.  He is way below replacement level.

Bryson is a puzzling decision to be sure. I have to believe Adam's and company are well aware of the defense deficiencies and are actively pursuing all avenues to address it.

15 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Bryson is a puzzling decision to be sure. I have to believe Adam's and company are well aware of the defense deficiencies and are actively pursuing all avenues to address it.

According to Spector's Hockey, Lance Lysowski tweeted that Adams is looking to bolster defencive depth.  I imagine that means that he is well-aware of Bryson's deficiencies.

29 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

It's worked so well missing the playoffs and collecting Picks/Prospects. Maybe they should try something different and make the playoffs so some of their players can experience it, even though it's not likely they would beat the Bruins or win the Cup.....

Just breaking the drought might help the culture and help the players with some playoff experience

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Marvin said:

According to Spector's Hockey, Lance Lysowski tweeted that Adams is looking to bolster defencive depth.  I imagine that means that he is well-aware of Bryson's deficiencies.

If he was "well aware", he would not have signed him to a 2 year 3.7m deal for a guy who is no better than a 7-8-9 blueliner. 😉

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's worked so well missing the playoffs and collecting Picks/Prospects. Maybe they should try something different and make the playoffs so some of their players can experience it, even though it's not likely they would beat the Bruins or win the Cup.....

Just breaking the drought might help the culture and help the players with some playoff experience

Welcome back!

They need to experience all of it: the style of play after the All-Star break; the importance of playing in spite of fatigue; the pressure of a playoff push, and then the playoffs themselves.  In particular, they need to learn ensemble defence and how to beat ensemble defence; the last 2 games have exposed both deficiencies.

I think it is important to make the playoffs to find out what players reinvent themselves like Brian Campbell did.  The team and the players would be that much better for it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.