2023 trade speculation and rumors

Eleven

38 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Whenever someone I respect talks about what this team needs, the third item after another defensemen, a goalie(unless 6K continues to develop) is a physical presence at forward. I know some don’t agree with me, but this is the biggest reason I think Mitts is the odd man out. There is no other forward in the current top 12 they are going to sit this year barring injury.

I think I’d like to see Someone like Greenway take Aslpund’s spot on the roster pluggging him into the lineup when necessary.  I’d say have him take Mitts spot but I feel like Casey’s role on this team is larger than what a player of that ilk would be.  Who knows. I hope he fills out this roster with some jam.  

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, tom webster said:

a physical presence at forward. I know some don’t agree with me, but this is the biggest reason I think Mitts is the odd man out.

You don't think Casey's game hasn't gotten increasingly physical this season?  I do... still a work in progress but he's far more physical.  I think he is an example of growing/developing talent internally to fill the needs of the team.

44 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You don't think Casey's game hasn't gotten increasingly physical this season?  I do... still a work in progress but he's far more physical.  I think he is an example of growing/developing talent internally to fill the needs of the team.

I think he has made great strides. I think they can find someone that rounds out the team better. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

Whenever someone I respect talks about what this team needs, the third item after another defensemen, a goalie(unless 6K continues to develop) is a physical presence at forward. I know some don’t agree with me, but this is the biggest reason I think Mitts is the odd man out. There is no other forward in the current top 12 they are going to sit this year barring injury.

I understand why you would believe that Mitts would be an odd man out if a forward addition was made. But I don't see Mitts falling out of the picture even with another forward added, at least right now. After hearing Don G talk positively about Mitts on a number of occasions I think that he values him and his versatility more than others. 

I, like you, have a high regard for Kevin Weekes's knowledge about hockey and the league. He seems to be knowledgeable and insightful about our roster and needs. 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I understand why you would believe that Mitts would be an odd man out if a forward addition was made. But I don't see Mitts falling out of the picture even with another forward added, at least right now. After hearing Don G talk positively about Mitts on a number of occasions I think that he values him and his versatility more than others. 

I, like you, have a high regard for Kevin Weekes's knowledge about hockey and the league. He seems to be knowledgeable and insightful about our roster and needs. 

Someone has to go. It almost certainly will be someone from that line. 
My opionion is that if, and it’s a big if, they acquire a forward, he slides into JJP’s spot and JJP takes Mitts spot.

3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Someone has to go. It almost certainly will be someone from that line. 
My opionion is that if, and it’s a big if, they acquire a forward, he slides into JJP’s spot and JJP takes Mitts spot.

One of the reasons why I don't see Mitts as expendable is that he is versatile enough to play wing and center. I can see the GM adding another defenseman but I don't see it happening at forward spot. We shall see??

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

One of the reasons why I don't see Mitts as expendable is that he is versatile enough to play wing and center. I can see the GM adding another defenseman but I don't see it happening at forward spot. We shall see??

I agree it probably won’t happen, at least this year but if they are upgrading the forward corps next year, expendable list goes

1) Kyle if he decides to retire or go to Minny

2) Mitts unless they trade VO in a big, splash move.

3) whomever survives #2

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Sampson was too close to Ground Zero of the toxic locker room.  He was one of the Big Three Kevyn moved when he cleaned house (Reino, Risto and Eich).

I dunno, Granato seemed to love him: waxed poetic about his leadership abilities on more than one occasion. And they went out of their way to show him “Giving Adams a call” after the move in that Sabres embedded. If the price is right I’d take him back he’s a really good player 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

I agree it probably won’t happen, at least this year but if they are upgrading the forward corps next year, expendable list goes

1) Kyle if he decides to retire or go to Minny

2) Mitts unless they trade VO in a big, splash move.

3) whomever survives #2

You bring up an interesting question regarding Okposo? Is he going to retire or not? I think he is so respected by the organization that whatever he wants to do the organization will do its best to accommodate him.  

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

I dunno, Granato seemed to love him: waxed poetic about his leadership abilities on more than one occasion. And they went out of their way to show him “Giving Adams a call” after the move in that Sabres embedded. If the price is right I’d take him back he’s a really good player 

Granato loves the potential in every player.  That's what makes him a good developmental coach.  Kevyn has the responsibility of giving Donny players that, when assembled, make a good team.  Granato would take Reino back but I don't think Kevyn would.

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

On the Sportsnet panel they had a hypothetical trade they were discussing:

Van sends Quinn Hughes to NJ for Nemec, Mercer and a conditional 1st.

The Devils having all 3 Hughes brothers would be a major marketing tool. Canucks would get 3 very good pieces. Interesting idea.

That is a horrible trade lol rather have Nemec

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, tom webster said:

I think he has made great strides. I think they can find someone that rounds out the team better. 

That would seem to play against what the coach wants to do though - develop players they draft. Article in the Athletic said he'd prioritize development over playoffs this season.

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

On the Sportsnet panel they had a hypothetical trade they were discussing:

Van sends Quinn Hughes to NJ for Nemec, Mercer and a conditional 1st.

The Devils having all 3 Hughes brothers would be a major marketing tool. Canucks would get 3 very good pieces. Interesting idea.

I could see NJ looking at the Hughes idea and I could see Vancouver shopping him around, but that price tag is insane. Nemec is going to be good. Mercer is going to be good. 3 for 1, Vancouver makes out like a bandit if this was a real deal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We have had one.  It was called get a darn D man already Kevin.  I just didn't say do something already.  

Odds are more likely that KA won't make any moves than he would do so. Although I'm confident you would be disappointed in a status-quo approach, it might be the best course of action for this team. I would like to see a defenseman added for the sake of having depth in case of any injury. 

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Odds are more likely that KA won't make any moves than he would do so. Although I'm confident you would be disappointed in a status-quo approach, it might be the best course of action for this team. I would like to see a defenseman added for the sake of having depth in case of any injury. 

I believe thats all he will do which im fine with . 

Let the team get  Experience and let them do it themselves 

• Like (+1) 1

I think it should be a high priority to get this team into the playoffs this year. The team and management need to see what playoff hockey looks like so they can all adjust to needs in the offseason.

The players especially need it just so they can feel how different the game is. I don’t want that first test next year..

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This team can’t succeed with the D group as currently constructed.  Last season we gave up 3.56 goals against.  This year we have only marginally improved to 3.4 despite the additions of Power and Bush and a full season of Samuelson.  Simply put our goaltending and 50% of our D group aren’t good enough.  The first step is to move on from Bryson.  This should be done at the deadline.  

I know he is friends with the young core, but if we want to win now and in the future he is the first casualty.

The second step is to demote Jokiharju to the 3rd pair and get a good partner for Power. This seems more like an off-season move, but if the right deal comes along at the deadline KA should listen.

In fact, if KA can upgrade Joki and then demote him to the 3rd pairing, he can include Bryson in the trade.  This leaves Clague as the 7 and I’m good with that.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This team can’t succeed with the D group as currently constructed.  Last season we gave up 3.56 goals against.  This year we have only marginally improved to 3.4 despite the additions of Power and Bush and a full season of Samuelson.  Simply put our goaltending and 50% of our D group aren’t good enough.  The first step is to move on from Bryson.  This should be done at the deadline.  

I know he is friends with the young core, but if we want to win now and in the future he is the first casualty.

The second step is to demote Jokiharju to the 3rd pair and get a good partner for Power. This seems more like an off-season move, but if the right deal comes along at the deadline KA should listen.

In fact, if KA can upgrade Joki and then demote him to the 3rd pairing, he can include Bryson in the trade.  This leaves Clague as the 7 and I’m good with that.

What you are saying makes a lot of sense. Where I disagree with you is your judgment on Joki. I consider him a good #2 on the second pairing. Of course, I wouldn't be against moving Joki down to the third pairing if a better option arises. I have listened to Don G a number of times on WGR. He is not only satisfied with his play but repeatedly said that he has more upside to offer. I lean more toward his view than your view on this particular player. (I'm also aware that I represent a minority view on this player.) 

On 2/6/2023 at 9:14 AM, inkman said:

I think I’d like to see Someone like Greenway take Aslpund’s spot on the roster pluggging him into the lineup when necessary.  I’d say have him take Mitts spot but I feel like Casey’s role on this team is larger than what a player of that ilk would be.  Who knows. I hope he fills out this roster with some jam.  

I like Greenway too.

Meatballs knows him well and he still has untapped potential. 

Could work for both teams to send Mitts home but I don't see it happening either. 

I'd do it. I could end up wrong long term but I'd do it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.