2023 trade speculation and rumors

Eleven

25 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Is chychrun actually good? I feel like that part of the discussion has been missed. 

Yes.  When healthy he is very good.  But he may not fit.  That’s were I would love to hear what Adams and his people think.  

47 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I'll be a little   Irritated If they put that much money on the blue line that never worked for Nashville let's not do that

Nashville never had centers.  The Sabres have them in spades. 

Now, Nashville had/has great goaltending.  The Sabres?  Well hopefully UPL continues to improve & Levi is the next Sarros.  Unfortunately, hope isn't a strategy.

51 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I do think Chychrun would make this team better, but I'm just not sure I would go in that direction long term.  To me it isn't about having the best group of players you can at every roster spot, it is about having a hanful of GREAT players and then having guys to pair with them what compliment them well at a good price.

I try to look at the D-unit going forward.  I think Dahline is your #1 guy, Power you hope is #2. One of them should be on the ice  for 75% of the game.  The D-partner for each of them doesn't have to be a high priced guy, he can be a guy who has limitations BUT pairs well with Dahlin or Power.  Dahlin wants to join the rush alot? Let his long term D-partner be a guy you pay a bit less, but one who lacking in scoring or carrying the puck but can make a good first pass and doesn't get caught up ice much. Something like that. 

Now that may be hard to find that 'right guy' but they have some time to do that.

So your THIRD pair is only going to get about 10 minutes even strength ice time per game ideally.  I don't want them to be AWFUL, but I can save a bit of money there (and divert it to other parts of the roster) by doing so.  Maybe make one of those 3rd pair guys a stellar Penalty killer, and he can get some additional ice time on the PK so you rest Dahlin and/or Power then. 

Maybe one of those 3rd pair guys is Samuelsson.  He has the ability to step up in the lineup in injuries, and he will be your top D-man getting PK ice time.  And with him as the anchor on the 3rd pair, you at least aren't awful there.  Then find 3 other 'reasonable' priced guys that have a skill set that compliments Dahline and Power, instead of just getting the best overall D-man you can to plug into those spots and overpay for skills that they don't need to use with their partner.

And as for Kane, again, I don't want him for free. I do not think he is a good player overall already.  You might be worse on the ice with him compared to any of the younger wingers the team has, AND he is going to only be a year older and slower next year.  

Let someone else take him. In the right situation, where you ask nothing of him in the D-zone, he gets all the PP time he wants, he gets offensive zone starts....maybe, MAYBE he can put up some points for a team that has a huge, massive lack of talent on the Wing.  This Sabres team is not that.

IF they get Chychrun, it sets up an interesting dynamic.  Do they pair him w/ Power and go w/ @Thorny's nightmare scenario of the top 4D all being lefties or do they slightly balance the 2nd & 3rd pairings a bit more keeping the top 4 as is & bumping Bryson into the pressbox?

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I was tempted to agree until I saw he was signed for 4 more years at 4.3million. That is just too much term IMPO for a guy who will be bumped down the roster as prospects come online over the next 3 years. If he had 2 more years after this, sure I am in. 4 is 2 too many for me. He essentially would be the Okposo, Zemgus, 3/4 line winger replacement and idk if I want 4.3mil tied up into that for 4 more seasons is all I am saying especially after we clear the 6mil to Okposo this year that I think some have been unhappy about for awhile. 

? If he does well here could be a decent trade chip as young guys grow up and term isnt horrible... I do like the Edmundson idea good tough defender

Edited by North Buffalo

34 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

? If he does well here could be a decent trade chip as young guys grow up and term isnt horrible... I do like the Edmundson idea good tough defender

Edmundson and Boosh would be a bruising pair. Could be the go to PKers, keeping Mule healthier for his 5v5 work with Dahlin.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

IF they get Chychrun, it sets up an interesting dynamic.  Do they pair him w/ Power and go w/ @Thorny's nightmare scenario of the top 4D all being lefties or do they slightly balance the 2nd & 3rd pairings a bit more keeping the top 4 as is & bumping Bryson into the pressbox?

You have to put him in the top 4 and try to play the third pair less than 10 minutes per night. The drop off is just too large. 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the price has dropped just a hair because Arizona, A. wants to finish low in the standings and Chychrun being there doesn't help and B. they want assets to be ready for their big move to their new building so wants to reset now before the deep 2023 draft AND C. hasn't gotten offers close to what they thought they would for Chychrun due to most of the league having cap issues already. 

From what I'm reading elsewhere, the ask is two firsts and a solid prospect, so I'm not sure the price is dropping.  And they have almost a month.

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

2 firsts for a guy who can't play near a full season ever. pass. 

His cap hit is reasonable through 24-25, he is at a needed position, and like @Weave always says, fans tend to overvalue draft picks.  Most years, if a pick is not in the top 5-10, it's pretty hit or miss.  

I think it's a heavy price, but I don't think it's out of this world, especially if the team trading for him can spread out the picks (2023 and 2025 or 2024 and 2026 instead of consecutive years).  I'm not sure I'd want the Sabres to do it, but I don't think it's crazy.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

His cap hit is reasonable through 24-25, he is at a needed position, and like @Weave always says, fans tend to overvalue draft picks.  Most years, if a pick is not in the top 5-10, it's pretty hit or miss.  

I think it's a heavy price, but I don't think it's out of this world, especially if the team trading for him can spread out the picks (2023 and 2025 or 2024 and 2026 instead of consecutive years).  I'm not sure I'd want the Sabres to do it, but I don't think it's crazy.

Big time Bogosian vibes. All the talent but made of glass. 

34 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

You have to put him in the top 4 and try to play the third pair less than 10 minutes per night. The drop off is just too large. 

I'd rather not have to pay Chychrun what he will want.....get a lesser piece to put on that 3rd pairing (but still better than what they have now) and then STILL play the 3rd pair only 10 minutes per night.

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Big time Bogosian vibes. All the talent but made of glass. 

My theory re Bogosian is, he wasn’t injured all that time.  He used it as an excuse to not play in garbage time.  He always seemed to get hurt right about when the season was lost.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'd rather not have to pay Chychrun what he will want.....get a lesser piece to put on that 3rd pairing (but still better than what they have now) and then STILL play the 3rd pair only 10 minutes per night.

Sure but who?  Who fits the age group?  Chychyrun knows the Pegulas. There’s more behind him than hit fits the hole. 

5 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Sure but who?  Who fits the age group?  Chychyrun knows the Pegulas. There’s more behind him than hit fits the hole. 

The interesting thing about Chychrun is because his family and the Pegulas are friends is that when he becomes a UFA they COULD (not would, but could) have a gentleman's agreement to a reasonable deal in the NHL and then him getting a "job" in one of the Pegulas' businesses a year or 2 after he retires that makes his overall pay through the years in line w/ what he could've made playing for a different team.

Again, not saying the Sabres nor he would do such a thing, but it would be pretty tough to make a collusion case against it based on their history.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The interesting thing about Chychrun is because his family and the Pegulas are friends is that when he becomes a UFA they COULD (not would, but could) have a gentleman's agreement to a reasonable deal in the NHL and then him getting a "job" in one of the Pegulas' businesses a year or 2 after he retires that makes his overall pay through the years in line w/ what he could've made playing for a different team.

Again, not saying the Sabres nor he would do such a thing, but it would be pretty tough to make a collusion case against it based on their history.

I like this idea.

Also, if he is a 4 or 5 D he will not get PP time in Buffalo, keeping his points lower and his salary demands.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

What

25 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You stopped by PA's today to check on him, didn't you .....

• Haha (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.