GDT:Sabres at Calgary Flames 10/20/22 9:30pm MSG, WGR550

Brawndo

Power rankings, Calgary #1

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10052879-nhl-power-rankings-calgary-flames-top-the-list-after-red-hot-start

The B/R hockey staff isn't above such silliness, though we attempted to maintain our analytical personas in giving a first Power Rankings treatment to the league now that pucks have been dropped across the entire standings map.

Three writers ranked the teams from 1 to 32 before Wednesday night's games and points were awarded in reverse order—32 points for No. 1, one for No. 32—to compile the list from bottom to top. Both the movement from last week's rankings and the collection of votes are listed with each team.

1) Calgary Flames (Move: +3 / Votes: 2, 1, 1)

It's a good time to be a hockey fan in southern Alberta and a better time to be Flames GM Brad Treliving, whose offseason roster makeover is paying immediate dividends. The new-guy trio of Nazem Kadri, Jonathan Huberdeau and MacKenzie Weegar has combined for 10 points in three games.

17. Buffalo Sabres (Move: +9 / Votes: 14, 15, 21)

The Sabres immediately headed west after splitting a pair of home games to open the season, then passed their initial road test with a 4-2 win at Edmonton. Visits to Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle follow before Buffalo is back in friendly surroundings for an October 27 meeting with Montreal.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

ICE CHIPS: Flames blue-liner Noah Hanifin was absent for Wednesday’s work. He’s now missed a pair of practices this week, a sure sign that he’s bothered by some sort of nagging injury, although he still logged 20-plus minutes against the Golden Knights. If Hanifin needs a night off on Thursday, Nikita Zadorov would be elevated from the third pairing.

This article is interesting on Calgary's new players 

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/party-crasher-nazem-kadri-makes-immediate-impact-for-flames

• Thanks (+1) 2

Calgary sure is getting a lot attention in the hockey media 

When THN’s web team was asked to make some pre-season NHL predictions last week, and the question was which team would win this season’s Presidents’ Trophy as the best regular-season team in the league, there were two teams that got the most attention: the first team was the Carolina Hurricanes – a team that this writer picked to win the 2022-23 Stanley Cup – and the defending Cup-champion Colorado Avalanche also were a popular choice.

However, while we think the Canes will win the post-season, we didn’t pick them or the Avs to be the NHL’s top team over the course of 82 games. Instead, we went with a team that underwent a dramatic change this past summer, despite the fact they were the league’s sixth-best franchise in 2021-22: the Calgary Flames. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/why-the-calgary-flames-can-win-the-presidents-trophy

MUST WIN !!

GO SABRES !!

Howdy ya'll Canucks ... for your pleasure, which is often so close to pain (😎), this one is on SN360 TV and Interwebs.

This is a tough one and a good test for the young Sabres.

Speaking of pleasure ... 

I give you the one and only Darryl Sutter ...

• Like (+1) 1

My pre-game thoughts:

1. I hope Comrie gets the nod to start again, give Anderson Vancouver or Seattle.

2. Hopefully Lybushkin is back, although I doubt it.

3. Dahlin will score (Caesars app has him at +500 to score)

4. Does Quinn come back or does he sit another? I'm guessing he sits one more against Calgary and comes back for the easier Van/Sea games.

5. I know we technically scored a PP against Edmonton on a 4v3, but we've yet to register a 5v4 goal. This needs to change.

6. I think Okposo scores today, he's due.

Go Sabres. 

• Like (+1) 1

If Lyubushkin can't go, not expecting to see the good guys keep it close.

If he can, they could keep it close, but just don't see them pulling it out.

Can see the Sabres netting 3.  But keeping Calgary under 4 will be a tall task tonight.  (And w/out Busch keeping their F's honest, wouldn't be surprised to see 6 against.)

Whichever goalie starts, hoping he gets a good pregame nap.  Going to need to be well rested.

Thanks to @Brawndo for starting the GDT on a game day.

Calgary will be a tough opponent for sure, there will be no shame in losing if the Sabres play hard. However, there is a chance, not a Dumb and Dumber chance, that the Sabres produce their ‘A’ game and pull this out.

The Sabres are still a major underdog until they win a few more games like this. They can use that to their advantage and surprise teams with their team speed and balanced scoring (which needs to happen soon). I expect good goaltending and hope that is enough. The Sabres pairing can’t be Hasek like every game, the offense has to show up. Team defense helps too.

Buffalo 5 Calgary 3.  Dahlin ties Northcutt with a goal.

Let’s go Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.