GDT:Sabres at Calgary Flames 10/20/22 9:30pm MSG, WGR550

Brawndo

36 minutes ago, Taro T said:

But thinking about it more, the Sabres gave up 30+ shots in his heyday regularly, but it was fairly infrequent that they gave up 40.  More often, they'd give up 36 but only have about 24 shots of their own so it seemed like 40.

Shots per 60 is up something like 15% in the last 20 years. 35 is the new 40.

• Thanks (+1) 2

5 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

How many posts were hit? I think the announcers missed a couple. Uncanny. 

Tage could have had 2 goals tonight. I think we score 2-3-4 or more goals with slightly more accurate shots. Tuch was amazing. Hope he out scores Eichel this year. We keep working on shooting and we could have 5-6 30+ goal scorers in a season over the next 2-3 yrs as young as we are. 

The skating and passing was electric tonight. Gotta stay healthy. Getting a little banged up the past couple of nights. Especially on D. 

obviously a lot to work on. Which is a positive. We are winning games where we still have a lot of room to improve. Keep this team together! Love 

Have you seen Mighty Ducks and what Gordon Bombay says to Charlie Conway?

Come on now

4 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

Also a prime Darryl Sutter quote:

Reporter: "What was the thought process on going to Dan Vladar after the first period?"

Sutter: "Because you've got two goalies."

Love it. He sees, too, that Dahlin is our engine. 

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

agreed...perhaps we were better and not allowing that many shots?

Or worse, and just scoring less

40 save WINS for comrie, not 40 save performances straight up 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I don't want them to do this either, but it's 100% certain that there will be at least 1000 posts advocating for it.

Separately -- my game notes:

- What a great win!  Unquestionably their best game of the season.

- Comrie might be the real deal.  That was another excellent, calm performance with numerous good saves at key times.

- Best games of the year for a number of guys, including Mitts, TT, Power, Bryson and Vinnie.

- Bryson was criticized in here a fair amount during the game, but I thought he played well overall, and in difficult circumstances -- over 22 min of ice time, on the road against a very good team, and with the pairings jumbled due to Joki's injury.  He eluded the forecheck with quick skating moves quite a few times, although on a few occasions after doing so he made lousy passes -- so that is something to work on.  Still, I thought he acquitted himself very well for the #6 guy.

- For that matter I thought Fitzie played pretty well in a challenging situation too.

- As others have noted, the reshuffled top 2 lines look much better.  Skinner and VO still need to start scoring, but those 2 lines produced much more O-zone time and scoring chances than their predecessors did in the 1st couple of games.

- Another strong game from the Cozens-JJP pair. 

- Ice time was very evenly distributed among the forwards, with everyone between 13:21 (Zemgus) and 18:46 (TT).

- Zadorov's hit on Skinner was a dirty play and was suspension-worthy IMHO.

- TT has been much more effective the last couple of games, but as others have noted, his shooting percentage does seem to have regressed.  He's missed a number of shots (like that rocket that hit the crossbar) that would've been goals last season. 

- If they can keep playing like that, and get Skinner, TT, VO and Quinn lighting the lamp, they will be a major problem.

- I'm guessing Comrie goes vs Vancouver on Saturday and Anderson vs Seattle on Tuesday, so Comrie can rest before the long trip home on Wednesday and then play at home on Thursday.

Go Sabres.

As long as people don't define trading any solitary pick or prospect in an effort to help the team now if they show they deserve it as "the FUTURE", we're good. 

When you have an abundance of picks and prospects, some always get used as currency. Just don't trade the wrong guys, and don't make deals at the wrong time. 

With 50 contract slots you don't sign them all, anyways. If you have a GM you trust, why the heck wouldn't you trust him to weed out the assets he feels we can afford to cash? I doubt we sit on everything. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

I’m usually the let the kids develop guy but I would have no issue if they traded away a current Dman not named Dahlin, Mule, Power or Lyubushkin.   Draft picks (including next years, lottery protected, first and one of their top forward prospects for another Stud Dman.   
Hopefully GMKA is in the discussions with Arizona for Chrychrun.  

Wow, from Crusader? 

*ACTUAL GOOD TEAM SIGNPOST*

44 minutes ago, Thorny said:

As long as people don't define trading any solitary pick or prospect in an effort to help the team now if they show they deserve it as "the FUTURE", we're good. 

When you have an abundance of picks and prospects, some always get used as currency. Just don't trade the wrong guys, and don't make deals at the wrong time. 

With 50 contract slots you don't sign them all, anyways. If you have a GM you trust, why the heck wouldn't you trust him to weed out the assets he feels we can afford to cash? I doubt we sit on everything. 

That was Murray's philosophy.  Unfortunately w/ not taking the intangibles into consideration, his results were lackluster though the philosophy itself is sound.

Expecting we'll see Adams abide by the same philosophy but be more effective at it.  His having been a grinder having to work for everything he got seems to have helped him understand those intangibles better than the horse trader that got involved because his family was all front office types.

And coaches, too.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That was Murray's philosophy.  Unfortunately w/ not taking the intangibles into consideration, his results were lackluster though the philosophy itself is sound.

Expecting we'll see Adams abide by the same philosophy but be more effective at it.  His having been a grinder having to work for everything he got seems to have helped him understand those intangibles better than the horse trader that got involved because his family was all front office types.

And coaches, too.

I can agree with that. 

Have done the digging before and Botts traded more picks than Murray did. People lambast Murray and say we can't supplement the roster because of it but, still say his moves failed in evaluation, not strategy. He didn't fail because it's bad to trade a pick for a player, but because he did it with a lack of aptitude/acquired the wrong guys/at the wrong time. 

Not saying I want to deal a first, merely that, Adams isn't operating as a good GM because he stringently avoids certain avenues and deals in absolutes (Botteril, draft), he's having success because each individual decision is made within the context of its specific merits. At least to my eye. I believe he'd be open to deals, just have to be ones that check out, analytically, personally, what have you. But I do not believe the concept is in opposition to his strategy, on its face.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Hopefully he is not in the discussion for Chychrun, like at all. 

First that trade is: Cozens (or similar), 2023 lottery protected 1st, Kulich/Östlund/Similar, and a 2024 2nd 

Second that trade is: ANOTHER lefty defender. Muel, Dahls, Power, and then Chy all are lefties. Go find a righty who isn't going to demand tons of money that fits with Owen Power instead of spending a bunch of assets for someone who will need more puck touches and costs plenty of cash. 

If that’s the price then I would agree with you. I’m assuming the price won’t be that high when he gets traded.  I could be wrong but I figured Arizona would be more interested in picks.  I should have also said Kulick, Savoie and Östlund are the 3 prospects I’m not trading either.  

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Wow, from Crusader? 

*ACTUAL GOOD TEAM SIGNPOST*

Ok. I didn’t say go Tim Murray lol 

Just one trade  and don’t overpay like he did multiple times 

Find Owen Power’s long term partner. I don’t think it’s Joker and it’s not in the system 

then sit back and re-Evaluate where you are next summer when Savoie, Kulich and maybe even Rousak  are all ready for the NHL. Not to mention Quinn won’t be an option for the press box by next year   

8 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Ok. I didn’t say go Tim Murray lol 

Just one trade  and don’t overpay like he did multiple times 

Find Owen Power’s long term partner. I don’t think it’s Joker and it’s not in the system 

then sit back and re-Evaluate where you are next summer when Savoie, Kulich and maybe even Rousak  are all ready for the NHL. Not to mention Quinn won’t be an option for the press box by next year   

I feel like Botteril's overpays were worse. The value looked shaky at the actual time. All the Scandella stuff. Multiple picks for Colin Miller. Rodrigues and Sheary for Kahun lol. 

A first for a starting goalie was a reasonable move in theory, from Murray, in a year with 3 firsts, especially. The error is his actual aptitude - he identified the wrong players. 

Kane was the other big "overpay" but what doomed us with that deal wasn't what we gave up, at all, which turned out to be a whole lot of not much for the Jets despite the 10, 000 odd in-arena chants I had to endure of "BEST TRADE EVER" for a couple years, but rather, what we brought in. 

Edited by Thorny

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

For a playoff spot yes. 

What's crazy is that Rosen, Kulich, Kisakov, Weisbach, Rousek, Savoie, Novikov, etc... aren't even available yet. And we have a couple of months before Jack Quinn flips his switch (he tends to be slow in a league and then BAM!) 

Yes. What I meant to say but left out was a contender for the Cup over the next few years. 

Though not a similar make up it reminds me of the early-mid 70s team in that they are young with a lot of good skaters and potential to put up a lot of goals. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I didn’t see anybody else post this so I thought I would post it for anyone who missed it.

First time I looked at it since the live game feed.  I bet he's got a broken bone somewhere in his face:  cheek, orbital, nose, something like that, and will be out for a bit, maybe a month or two.  When he comes back he will have to displace one of Pilut or Bryson to get back into the lineup (most likely Bryson imo).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.