Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

That is great news for the NHL.  I was concerned that it would take years to dig out of that hole, especially since the NHL relies on gate/concession revenues much more than the other leagues.

If anyone comes across a good explanation of how they did so, I'd be interested to read it. 

OK, it is early in the year, but if there were 3 things I was sure about going into this year, it was Philly would be awful, probably the worst team in the league, Boston would be considerably worse, and Vegas would continue their 2nd half of last year slump by being average-to-below-average.  Well, as of this very moment, they are a combined 9 wins and 1 loss between them.

He has only been in the division a couple of weeks, but Matthew Tkachuk is already gaining a reputation for being a cheap shot.  Tonights game…during a scrum after a whistle he punches a Flyer right in the head.  Flyer punches back, and he is sent to the box while Tkachuk gets nothing. 

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

A lot of it is physics, in the macro, (as much as we may not perceive the very real physicality of the situation), after years, and years, of establishing the “culture” as you pointed out, or whatever term you use for that. 

It doesn’t really matter what the word is, the point is that once you firmly establish as a good team, the channels that fed that success only were able to do so because they were stable. 

The physics - an object in motion remains in motion unless acted upon by an opposing force. Bruins have established something as close as you can get to perpetual motion in sports 

It’s hard for bad teams to get good, the other side of the coin. Object at rest remains at rest and all that 

That's the beauty of sports though. You can never totally reduce it to physics and math. The heart and desire. The passion. There are emotional components that just don't reduce to formulas and equations. 

It will be interesting to see if the Bruins culture remains strong when Bergeron retires for real. His leadership is a huge part of it and idk if you can easily replace that sort of thing. 

7 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

He has only been in the division a couple of weeks, but Matthew Tkachuk is already gaining a reputation for being a cheap shot.  Tonights game…during a scrum after a whistle he punches a Flyer right in the head.  Flyer punches back, and he is sent to the box while Tkachuk gets nothing. 

What happens when you can’t punk people anymore. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

If I was going to be gifted one and I had had to choose a non-Sabres jersey, I think I would go with the Kachina Desert Dog.  The "reverse retro" color scheme predates the franchise since all those shades of tan and brown are right out of the 70s.

5 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Jack Eichel's suits suck ***** and his stylist is awful.

And the Flyers are wearing slacks again...

The league could let one team wear the ridiculous looking Cooperalls.  But once Insurance City started wearing them too, that was a bridge too far.  Pants MUST stay above the knee.

Organized roller hockey leagues were still a decade away.

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Was it scouting or media build up or maybe both that appear to have had Jack way above what it appears he is. For sure not "generational" and not to be mentioned in the same conversation with McDavid. I think Jack is a very good player but as you mentioned if the draft were held again knowing what we know now he'd be considerably lower in the draft order. This isn't rare in drafts but the super hype for Jack seems to be quite far off at least at this point in time.

Pretty sure it was stats.

He won the Hobey Baker as a true Freshman scoring at over 1.75 Pts/game.  Probably would've won the NCAA's that year had their goalie not suddenly forget how to catch a puck shot directly at his glove. 

He was really good when healthy.  Probably still is, but we'll see if that remains true.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.