Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

Leafs play the Caps tonight with Samsonov in net for Toronto.If he has a rough outing it will be a lot of fun in Leafs Nation only two games into the season.

I don’t put much stock in this goalie tandem but I put less stock in the Leafs d corps. Pundits are seduced by the top heavy forward corps but the Leafs are the complete anthesis of a well balanced team.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Matt Murray looked like 🐶💩 tonight. 

That is good. Any doubt in the Leafs minds about their goaltending will make it more challenging for them to lock any game down. They will play a run and gun game which will make them open to odd man rushes and more heartbreaks like this.

Good thing they have $4 in cap room while carrying 20/23 players.

The Toronto media will stir up the masses if they lose to the Caps tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, French Collection said:

That is good. Any doubt in the Leafs minds about their goaltending will make it more challenging for them to lock any game down. They will play a run and gun game which will make them open to odd man rushes and more heartbreaks like this.

Good thing they have $4 in cap room while carrying 20/23 players.

The Toronto media will stir up the masses if they lose to the Caps tonight.

And it will be very delicious 😂

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Grubauer was dreadful. Gibson on the other hand was really good and (you won't want to hear this but) Ullmark was really good too. 

Gibson and Quick the day prior put on a show. Kings and Ducks both left them out to dry.

Ullmark played well, but that doesn't surprise me. He's a good goalie and the Swayman/Ullmark tandem is fantastic. I wish him the best and I have no ill will toward him. Do I wish he was in Buffalo? Sure. But he was reportedly asking for more than the $5m he signed for (or maybe it was more term? I can't remember) and, at the time, I didn't think it was a good idea since he wasn't able to stay healthy. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that and I'll admit I was wrong, but, at the time he left, I wasn't upset he wasn't signed for the reported ask.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Gibson and Quick the day prior put on a show. Kings and Ducks both left them out to dry.

Ullmark played well, but that doesn't surprise me. He's a good goalie and the Swayman/Ullmark tandem is fantastic. I wish him the best and I have no ill will toward him. Do I wish he was in Buffalo? Sure. But he was reportedly asking for more than the $5m he signed for (or maybe it was more term? I can't remember) and, at the time, I didn't think it was a good idea since he wasn't able to stay healthy. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that and I'll admit I was wrong, but, at the time he left, I wasn't upset he wasn't signed for the reported ask.

I'm not upset Ullmark left either. Players rave about the culture in Boston and everybody seems to love playing there so when they made him a big offer of course he took it. If I'm "upset" (and I'm not really, I'm actually kind of cold and numb to all things Sabre) it's over not  finding a solid replacement.  There were options at the time, decent options, and most came with low price tags. 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not upset Ullmark left either. Players rave about the culture in Boston and everybody seems to love playing there so when they made him a big offer of course he took it. If I'm "upset" (and I'm not really, I'm actually kind of cold and numb to all things Sabre) it's over not  finding a solid replacement.  There were options at the time, decent options, and most came with low price tags. 

I think the Sabres thought they would sign him. Don't know but maybe his agent and him weren't showing their cards until the last hours

• Agree 1

Holy hell. Arizona's joke of being the 2nd tenant in their new home stadium in addition to any upgrades/construction results in a schedule that looks like this. (H)ome and (A)way.

A,A,A,A,A,A, H, H, H, H, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A

They have 4 home games 10/28-11/3 and then their next home game is December 9th hosting Boston. 

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

Holy hell. Arizona's joke of being the 2nd tenant in their new home stadium in addition to any upgrades/construction results in a schedule that looks like this. (H)ome and (A)way.

A,A,A,A,A,A, H, H, H, H, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A

They have 4 home games 10/28-11/3 and then their next home game is December 9th hosting Boston. 

It's just as well. If they survive that then they have a nice run of home games later. Not many people clamoring to attend a Coyotes game in October anyway

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Holy hell can we stop rehashing ullmark already? Not you specifically. Everyone.

44 minutes ago, Contempt said:

It's just as well. If they survive that then they have a nice run of home games later. Not many people clamoring to attend a Coyotes game in October anyway

Holy hell can we stop rehashing ullmark already? Not you specifically. Everyone.

I'm not really on Ullmark, but I am going to stay on Adam's failure to address the goalie situation (unless Comrie and Anderson shock me) as I think it's the crucial point in what I suspect will be a bad season in the end. Every goalie that we had a shot at might come up at some point. Ullmark is just one of them. 

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

It doesn't have to be Ullmark. It's that the Sabres waited until UFA with a homegrown goalie who was a proven .915-.917 guy (and was .917 with Boston last year) and then went with a retired guy (who we like for his presence/composure, but the numbers don't like on the ice) and AHL-level replacements.

Anderson and Tokarski were .898 sv% in their combined 60 games. If a goalie (Ullmark) plays at .917 instead of .898 over 50 starts (same # shots faced that Anderson/Tokarski faced), that's about 30 goals difference in just those 50 games, let alone keeping Dell/Subban out of the lineup. (We can keep Houser and his 2-0-0 .942% numbers. 😇 ) The Sabres would still have needed more scoring (and fewer injuries to alllll the goalies), but then the March-April run gets the League really excited (and perhaps UFAs this offseason) because the Sabres are in the mid 80s for points last year instead of mid 70s.

• Agree 2

At the game with my son. Watched players arrive. Casey & Bryson behind us.

Our seats are Sec 104 1st row behind Sabres bench! If there is a shot 9f the bench on TV we are on the left side.

Let's get thus season started!

Go Sabres!

20221013_162207~2.jpg

Edited by Jävə Keith
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Slightly annoying............Will Borgen playing very well for Seattle. It's ancient history, but I still wish they'd have exposed Bjork in that draft. Seattle had a bunch of D men available at the time so they might have taken him instead. Oh well.

Would he even play on this roster?

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Slightly annoying............Will Borgen playing very well for Seattle. It's ancient history, but I still wish they'd have exposed Bjork in that draft. Seattle had a bunch of D men available at the time so they might have taken him instead. Oh well.

Ummm, how does exposing F Bjork protect D Borgen?

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.