Peters Says to Expect Major Changes to the Organization Before End of Season

Flashsabre

18 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

He was the first to post the trade over Friedman and others?

He was. He denies this was his source, but it was almost certainly because of his connection with the Tuch family.

The for sale rumour is not just Peters. Hamilton talks more about here, starting about 15:25.

https://www.audacy.com/podcasts/schopp-and-bulldog-20261/sbd-the-end-of-the-paul-hamilton-athon-1269215340

I have no opinion on the rumours, but I think the Sabres are behaving like a team that's for sale.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

To think the Sabres are feeding Jason Peters some top shelf information is laughable. Maybe he heard something through the grapevine but this seems more like him saying something bold in hopes it comes true imo.

Not the Sabres officially, but people who Peters knows from being a long time employee.  So yeah, things he heard through the grapevine.

Several other prominent people have spoken about talk and interest in sale of the Sabres.  There is something there.

Some people here are saying “well, the reports are of offers, but not that Pegula is actually interested in selling.”  If Pegula was making it know that he has no interest in selling, there simply would not be offers coming in.

Also, Jason Peters?  Come on man.  Sort yourself out.

Edited by Curt

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He was. He denies this was his source, but it was almost certainly because of his connection with the Tuch family.

The for sale rumour is not just Peters. Hamilton talks more about here, starting about 15:25.

https://www.audacy.com/podcasts/schopp-and-bulldog-20261/sbd-the-end-of-the-paul-hamilton-athon-1269215340

I have no opinion on the rumours, but I think the Sabres are behaving like a team that's for sale.

For sale and not "rebuilding."

• Like (+1) 1

If the Pegulas do sell....they may go down as the worst owners in the history of the NHL, and maybe North American pro sports, at least in terms of their teams success. No other league makes it as easy to make the playoffs as the NHL has historically, and when you look at winning percentage, playoff appearances, winning seasons, many measurables I'm not sure anyone would have owned a team as long as them and had as little success.

• Like (+1) 5

13 hours ago, Taro T said:

Agree, and to further that thinking.  Why kick off the Fan Council if you're dumping the team?  Why bother when it's the next guy's problem?

Yep.

Fan Council seems like a low-cost, good optics thing to me. And unless you're 100% sure the team will be sold, you keep working like it's not going to be so you're not caught flat-footed if it falls through.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

The one project that he took on that impressed me is the Bidwell/Elmwood project. A faction of the community was at war with the developer who wanted to take on a sizeable project in that community. The project was hopelessly stalled because of the conflict between the community (faction of it) and the developer. Jemal came in and took over the project. He met with the resisters and modified the project by scaling it down to get their approval. The project got completed to everyone's satisfaction. This is the type of developer you want working in your community. 

The only people that praise a developer this much have a lot to directly gain from that developer winning contracts.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

You are right that for the most part he doesn't put up his own money but rather he gets financed by banks and other financial entities. That's how most developers finance their projects. One of the reasons that he has such access to money is that his projects are successful resulting in the loans being paid in a timely manner. Or to put it in simple terms: He is credit worthy. 

Yes, but even though ownership rules have been greatly relaxed, there is still a minimum personal stake that even the NHL requires.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Not the Sabres officially, but people who Peters knows from being a long time employee.  So yeah, things he heard through the grapevine.

Several other prominent people have spoken about talk and interest in sale of the Sabres.  There is something there.

Some people here are saying “well, the reports are of offers, but not that Pegula is actually interested in selling.”  If Pegula was making it know that he has no interest in selling, there simply would not be offers coming in.

Also, Jason Peters?  Come on man.  Sort yourself out.

Jason Peters, Pete Peters, Scott Peters does it really matter? 🙂

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

And Friedman has repeatedly said he has heard nothing of the sort. 

I understand Peters connecting dots with the Sabres absolute minimum budget, but there hasn’t been one smell of actual smoke from any reliable source on this. 

It also doesn’t make any sense. We all know Terry loves the Sabres and they’re finally starting to rebuild properly. Could he get sick of the losses year after year?? Maybe.
But his wealth has probably increased over the pandemic as most other billionaires. Selling the team has nothing to do with cash flow. 

The only thing that makes sense is if Kim says she is done with hockey and the negative press/fan backlash.  Other than that, I don’t see Terry selling. 

We know that Terry loved the Sabres and that was a long time ago, it could be that the thrill is gone.  It’s not like he is at every game, or any games for that matter.  I would not be surprised if he has had enough of being in businesses that are not successful and making  money.  He already shedded the restaurant/bar businesses. 

Rebuild “properly”still  remains to be seen.  Go to games in other cities, watch other teams broadcasts - you quickly see that the Sabres are a low budget and poorly marketed product.  He is not advancing or even keeping up, he is leaning it down   A sale is not out of the question.   The NHL is not the NFL where the strong carry the weak under the NFL brand.  

If Kim is done with hockey and the negative backlash that she and Terry created, then she can fix that by stepping down as President. 

31 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Fan Council seems like a low-cost, good optics thing to me. And unless you're 100% sure the team will be sold, you keep working like it's not going to be so you're not caught flat-footed if it falls through.

The only people that praise a developer this much have a lot to directly gain from that developer winning contracts.

I wanted to like this post, but the second half of it is over the line

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

We know that Terry loved the Sabres and that was a long time ago, it could be that the thrill is gone.  It’s not like he is at every game, or any games for that matter.  I would not be surprised if he has had enough of being in businesses that are not successful and making  money.  He already shedded the restaurant/bar businesses. 

Rebuild “properly”still  remains to be seen.  Go to games in other cities, watch other teams broadcasts - you quickly see that the Sabres are a low budget and poorly marketed product.  He is not advancing or even keeping up, he is leaning it down   A sale is not out of the question.   The NHL is not the NFL where the strong carry the weak under the NFL brand.  

If Kim is done with hockey and the negative backlash that she and Terry created, then she can fix that by stepping down as President. 

"Created" is the right verb.

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Jason Peters, Pete Peters, Scott Peters does it really matter? 🙂

When in doubt just use Peters.  The topic title just uses plain old Peters and that eliminated any confusion.

What in the blazes is the guy's first name?  I can't remember, but I don't think it's Jason.

Edited by The Ghost of Doohickie
more goodly ...

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

When in doubt just use Peters.  The topic title just uses plain old Peters and that eliminated any confusion.

What in the blazes is the guys first name?  I can't remember, but I don't think it's Jason.

Pullyar.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

No thanks to what? To the many building projects in western NY he has successfully completed?  He has transformed many vacant and non-functioning buildings and restored them to hubs of economic activity. And you find that problematic? 

He got convicted for making illegal political contributions. He got caught and paid for it. And now he is one of the main participants in working to transform a lagging region. And because of his past indiscretion are you saying he should be disqualified from rebuilding the community he has chosen to work in? That makes absolutely no sense.  

No thanks.

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Yes, but even though ownership rules have been greatly relaxed, there is still a minimum personal stake that even the NHL requires.

I agree with you that because how his finances are structured he would be an unlikely candidate to buy a hockey franchise. And I don't think that his particular business acumen/experience translates to owning a hockey franchise. I suspect as @Brawndostated that if there is a relationship between Pegula and him it relates to some real estate holdings that he is interested in that the Pegulas' own. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Be sure to lift with your legs when you carry that much water.

Placing faith or belief in a developer is a fool's game. (Something-something about fools and money.) Not so long ago, Jemal festooned key DMV-area government bureaucrats with gifts, and flooded their bosses' coffers with donations. And business for Jemal was good! Very good! Buildings got built! Loans got paid! Progress! MONORAIL!

Jemal & Co. wound up so enmeshed with the political class in the DMV that they were criminally tried for wire fraud, bribery, and the like. Jemal managed to wriggle out of the most serious charges. But the stink of that episode lingers for those with eyes that will see, ears that will hear, and ... actually, forget those other 2 senses, the stink lingers for those with a nose that can smell. 

Some years later, Jemal is inexplicably up here in sleepy Buffalo, NY -- quickly becoming City government's darling, filling the (sizable*) void left by civic paragon** Marc Croce.

The comparison to Madoff was hyperbole. I'm not suggesting Jemal is operating an actual Ponzi scheme. But it's fair to say that regional leaders (and our region) would end up being about as well-served by placing faith or trust in Jemal as an investor would have been doing the same with Madoff.

*Ha. You see, this is a joke I have made.

** And another.

I'm not sure the relevancy of Croce to the Jemal discussion. As it turns out Jemal bought the Statler from the Croce estate. He is currently in the process of remodeling the former white elephant of a building. If you have any criticisms of any of Jemal projects, I would like to hear them. You may not think that he is an asset to the community but I do. 

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

If the Pegulas do sell....they may go down as the worst owners in the history of the NHL, and maybe North American pro sports, at least in terms of their teams success. No other league makes it as easy to make the playoffs as the NHL has historically, and when you look at winning percentage, playoff appearances, winning seasons, many measurables I'm not sure anyone would have owned a team as long as them and had as little success.

The NBA has the same playoff probability and it’s been a long time since the NHL was rewarding 16 or 21 teams with a playoff berth. 
The results of the Pegula Sabres have been bad but not as historically bad as some believe. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.