Peters Says to Expect Major Changes to the Organization Before End of Season

Flashsabre

Bardown not backing off.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

We know that Terry loved the Sabres and that was a long time ago, it could be that the thrill is gone.  It’s not like he is at every game, or any games for that matter.  I would not be surprised if he has had enough of being in businesses that are not successful and making  money.  He already shedded the restaurant/bar businesses. 

Rebuild “properly”still  remains to be seen.  Go to games in other cities, watch other teams broadcasts - you quickly see that the Sabres are a low budget and poorly marketed product.  He is not advancing or even keeping up, he is leaning it down   A sale is not out of the question.   The NHL is not the NFL where the strong carry the weak under the NFL brand.  

If Kim is done with hockey and the negative backlash that she and Terry created, then she can fix that by stepping down as President. 

C'mon. We are past "marketing" at this point. Is some giveaway going to bring 10K more people in?  Improving the team is the only course.

46 minutes ago, tom webster said:

The NBA has the same playoff probability and it’s been a long time since the NHL was rewarding 16 or 21 teams with a playoff berth. 
The results of the Pegula Sabres have been bad but not as historically bad as some believe. 

I tend to disagree.

-In the 6 seasons prior to them taking over (including the season they took over most of the way though it as that was before their first 'offseason' retooling the team, the Sabres in the previous 6 seasons:

-made the playoffs in 4 out of 6 seasons

-had a positive point percentage in 7 straight seasons

-1 presidents trophy

-2 conference championship appearances

-Averaged 100 points per season

-won 4 playoff rounds in 6 years, 25 playoff wins in those 6 seasons.

-1 coach in the previous 13 years.

Since they bought the Sabres (starting with their first full offseason and season of ownership)

-No playoffs in going on 11 seasons in a row (and many of us think that will extend to 12)

-1 out of 11 seasons with a positive point percentage

-Averaging 70 points per 82 games

-zero playoff appearances, zero playoff wins (obviously) 

-5 times finishing dead last in the division, and a couple more at the bottom of the league

-They are on their 7th different coach trying to make things right.

Its not only how bad the results have been, but the fact they took a team that had some recent success with hardly any money/investment into it and turned it into something so bad....I have a hard time thinking of other franchises in my entire lifetime that had worse results/less success though an ownerships life.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm not sure the relevancy of Croce to the Jemal discussion. As it turns out Jemal bought the Statler from the Croce estate. He is currently in the process of remodeling the former white elephant of a building. ... You may not think that he is an asset to the community but I do. 

The relevancy of Croce is that the City of Buffalo government has an unproductive, crony capitalist (at best) relationship with certain local developers. The Brown administration loved (loved, loved) them some Croce -- they even named a street outside the Statler after him!

What exactly did Croce do to advance the cause of an economic recovery for greater Buffalo? I submit to you: Not a got damn thing. Some flashy, splashy projects got done -- with the help of public money, quasi public money, and private financing. Construction jobs? Okay, sure. There are those. Hooray for the trades. Maybe that's where your allegiance derives.

But the role of these developers is wildly, even irresponsibly, overstated when it comes to the supposed "renaissance" of Buffalo. We're still the second or third poorest city in the country. These jabronis are shuffling proverbial chairs around the deck of the Titanic, making a healthy buck, and calling it progress. I call bullspit.

So that's why I raised Croce. Jemal just slid into that role as chief among Mayor Brown's most-favoured-developers. But it's a sham. A fake. A hoax.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

If you have any criticisms of any of Jemal projects, I would like to hear them. 

Have you been by, around Seneca One? Jesus Christmas. What an abomination it is from an urban development standpoint. How the funk did Jemal get the local planning board to approve those 15' high fortress walls? Amazing what having a "MFN" status can do for a guy. His treatment of the streetscape in that area never, ever should have been approved. It does additional violence to one of downtown's most valuable historical areas. I predict failure for whatever sterile-ass environment he's trying to manufacture behind those walls. Gross.

That's one. I have others. But I'll keep that powder dry.

EDIT: I will acknowledge that his work to secure the Statler has been far superior to what Croce was doing (which was essentially nothing). There no longer appears to be a risk of that building's masonry falling into the streets below.

Edited by That Aud Smell

OK so I just Googled Doug Jemal and can safely say that anyone who thinks he would be allowed to buy the Sabres is out of their goddamned mind. Being a convicted felon is bad enough but the guy's net worth is $150 million and the absolute lowest cost to buy the team would be more than double that. I don't have a math degree but can see this would probably be an issue.

13 minutes ago, sabremike said:

OK so I just Googled Doug Jemal and can safely say that anyone who thinks he would be allowed to buy the Sabres is out of their goddamned mind. Being a convicted felon is bad enough but the guy's net worth is $150 million and the absolute lowest cost to buy the team would be more than double that. I don't have a math degree but can see this would probably be an issue.

He does not have the money, no. The rumour is that he's trying to organize and lead a group. God save us.

8 minutes ago, kas23 said:

What does this mean? If it’s not sold in the next few days, it’s not going to be?

I think it means that the rumour is less and less quiet as the days go by.

17 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sabres Twitter also kicking around the name Joe Tsai -- he of the Alibaba fortune and a current owner of other sports franchises (the Nets of the NBA, maybe?).

Given the choice between Tsai, this Jamel fella, and Pegulas, I would have to pick Tsai.

His WNBA team was just fined 500k because he was paying for too many charter flights for them.  The monster.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Given the choice between Tsai, this Jamel fella, and Pegulas, I would have to pick Tsai.

His WNBA team was just fined 500k because he was paying for too many charter flights for them.  The monster.

I know almost nothing about Tsai, but what intrigues me is that he's an actual legitimate businessman who built a massive company -- presumably using actual smarts, skills, and acumen. (This compares with Terry Pegula, whose wealth I have more and more come to view as mostly a product of testicular fortitude and good fortune.)

What I would fear about a buyer like Tsai: Would he see the Sabres piddling around in this wee market and petition for them to be in a larger, more profitable one?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I know almost nothing about Tsai, but what intrigues me is that he's an actual legitimate businessman who built a massive company -- presumably using actual smarts, skills, and acumen. (This compares with Terry Pegula, whose wealth I have more and more come to view as mostly a product of testicular fortitude and good fortune.)

What I would fear about a buyer like Tsai: Would he see the Sabres piddling around in this wee market and petition for them to be in a larger, more profitable one?

Legitimate question.  I can’t say that I have a clue what the answer is.

He does have a lot of other dealings and owns other major teams in NYS, so I don’t know if he would consider a move out of state beneficial.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

If there is a new owner, I only want 2 things:

1.)  The deal has to include a clause where the team can't be moved

2.) The new owner doesn't do anything to 'accelerate' the rebuild. Bring people in that want to do things differently?  Fine, but not to make moves to abandon the youth movement and speed things up.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

That would be my best guess, he’d want to move us to Austin since Arizona refuses to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Houston here we come.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

He's a guy who buys undervalued properties and increases their value.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.