Peters Says to Expect Major Changes to the Organization Before End of Season

Flashsabre

12 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

https://twitter.com/Sabres_Blitz/status/1482388320126656514?s=20

Wonder what he is referring to.

My first thought was someone buying in, like a 51-49% type scenario.

Or Adams becoming President and Karmanos as GM And another front office add.

Can’t see any blockbuster trades.

Considering what the league just approved regarding private equity minor partnerships, would expect something along the lines of a 20-30% stake getting sold.

Doubt the official title changes in the front office happen this soon, but if somebody is looking to poach Karmanos, could see that happen as well.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Hate this news . My first thought based on the Pegulas track record is Terry has grown impatient and wants a reset. Not likely but I wouldn’t be surprised.

If by reset you mean yet ANOTHER course "correction" really doubt it.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I think @Taro T is right and I don't like it.  

Don't like it either.  But it makes sense.  Unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Considering what the league just approved regarding private equity minor partnerships, would expect something along the lines of a 20-30% stake getting sold.

Doubt the official title changes in the front office happen this soon, but if somebody is looking to poach Karmanos, could see that happen as well.

I believe that 20% is the maximum allowed to be sold to a private equity firm.

I could absolutely see it happening, but it would be a little surprised to see it happen before the Bills stadium situation gets settled.  Just for optics reasons.

• Like (+1) 2

The thing I don't like about the private equity ownership is..they would be ALL about the money.

Terry and Kim may not want to sell the Sabres and potentially have them moved, but if Private equity buys into the Sabres (one of the lower value franchises in the league with a low buy-in cost), the best way for them to make a LOT Of money is to do whatever they can to get the team to move to a bigger market with a sweet-heart arena deal.  Not saying Terry and Kim would do that..but If I'm private equity, the Sabres are close to my #1 target to do that.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

You guys…Terry is worth five billion dollars. This isn’t about cashing out 150 million via 20% sale.  

Also, throwing their commitment to the Sabres and the region out the window when asking for $700 million for a football stadium from the county and the state would be crazy. 

The Bills more than cover any Sabres losses.  

Edited by Porous Five Hole
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Yeah probably but with what's transpired during this ownership. It is his m.o.

we traded Eichel, Ristolainen and Reinhart, and let Ullmark leave via FA

If that is not a reset then nothing is. Not a chance in hell we would be doing that next season. M.O. or not... You got 3 to 4 years minimum before that's even a thought, and if that is where we end up Buffalo will chase the Pegulas out of town for realsies

• Like (+1) 1

I hope that Adams moves up to President.   Karmanos to GM and a new AGM added.  Meaning Kim is not active in day to day operations.  

I cannot see him selling the team or even a piece of the team,

Any other change is concerning to me given the Pegula track record.  No new Pittsburgh or Penn State people please. 

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

To streamline the new analytics focus, Karmanos is promoted to GM. Kevyn promoted to President of Hockey Ops. 

Kim no longer carries a designation within the Sabres organization and continues her role as CEO of Pegula Sports & Entertainment. 

I think this is it.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Curt said:

I believe that 20% is the maximum allowed to be sold to a private equity firm.

I could absolutely see it happening, but it would be a little surprised to see it happen before the Bills stadium situation gets settled.  Just for optics reasons.

The report said a PE firm could own up to 30% of a single team or 20% of up to 5 teams each.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Taro T said:

44 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

To streamline the new analytics focus, Karmanos is promoted to GM. Kevyn promoted to President of Hockey Ops. 

Kim no longer carries a designation within the Sabres organization and continues her role as CEO of Pegula Sports & Entertainment. 

These seem like the 2 most likely possibilities.

I really hope it’s the latter, as there is a very high risk that the former will illuminate for many here the old saying about being careful what you wish for.

I think/am hoping that the Sabres’ value is sufficiently depressed right so as to make TP decide not to sell.

As a related point, if Petey is right about this, he clearly becomes (if he’s not already) the Sabres media guy with the best sources, innit?

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

This is the first thing that ran through my mind upon seeing the thread title.  If it means a simple jumbling of job titles near the top, then no problem.  I think that I've always held onto the fear of losing the Sabres to another city since the bankruptcy following the Rigas debacle.  The private equity angle has only served to exacerbate this within me.

Edited by Dreams Burn Down
  • Like (+1) 1

Karmanos was mentioned as a GM Candidate in Vancouver with His Ties to Rutherford.

Eliotte Friedman has been consistent with saying nothing happens until the New Bills Stadium Deal is reached in terms of a potential sale. 

I wonder if they would sell controlling interest in the team, but maintain a stake in ownership. 

NFL Teams are cash cows, so I would not blame them for focusing their efforts on the Bills, if they do desire 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

I’ve been saying for a long time now that the Sabres are behaving like a franchise up for sale.

Selling a stake fits as well. The equity news and the stadium deal timing rumours would seem to open the door soon. I suspect this could be a tentative deal that could be announced shortly after the stadium.

Related, Adams, Karmanos and Granato aren’t presenting like people preparing to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’ve been saying for a long time now that the Sabres are behaving like a franchise up for sale.

Selling a stake fits as well. The equity news and the stadium deal timing rumours would seem to open the door soon. I suspect this could be a tentative deal that could be announced shortly after the stadium.

Related, Adams, Karmanos and Granato aren’t presenting like people preparing to move on.

He’s not 

The rest are staying as well 

• Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Yup.  Reduce expenses.  Reduce long term financial commitments.  Reduce outward cash flow.  Make the balance sheet look as appealing as possible.  Selling a minority stake seems likely.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

You guys…Terry is worth five billion dollars. This isn’t about cashing out 150 million via 20% sale.  

Also, throwing their commitment to the Sabres and the region out the window when asking for $700 million for a football stadium from the county and the state would be crazy. 

The Bills more than cover any Sabres losses.  

They two franchises may be under the same PSE roof, but no business is going to look to one side of the house to cover another.  I'm 100% confident they're viewing both teams on their own and as such, that each stands on their own financially.

At the same time, the prospect of building a new Bills stadium is impacting their financial decision making with the Sabres.  They can't keep losing millions as they did in 2019-20:

https://subscribe.buffalonews.com/e/limit-reached-bn?returnURL=https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-lost-10-9-million-value-dropped-in-2020-according-to-forbes/article_9e2c7828-3a3b-11eb-b9e4-17ec3fa4b12d.html

I could definitely see them selling part of the Sabres to provide some liquidity to put toward a new stadium that, despite an initial proposal, will cost them I'm guessing a couple hundred million.  Especially now that 55% of the Key Bank Arena isn't selling out on average each home game.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.