Peters Says to Expect Major Changes to the Organization Before End of Season

Flashsabre

45 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Let's not overthink. The beginning of the end was even before Terry cried. After the intro presser he went over to the Buffalo News editorial board and told them he had ALREADY rejected Darcy's plan. Instead of trusting the GM who had done a very good job on skintight budgets to take advantage of more resources in his own time and way, he forced his will. He meddled. Welcome Ville Leino and all the rest. The rest is history.

I had forgotten that.  Thanks for the reminder.

59 minutes ago, Radar said:

Bure/Drury departures more so.

I think those were recoverable.  Indeed, the team was still competitive and just needed to handle things a bit better and they could have developed into a real threat.  But I can make your argument too.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I do not mean to be pedantic, but that sort of thing would improve their cash position - not their cash flow.

"I do not mean to be pedantic" is a bright orange flag that someone is about to be pedantic.  No worries though.  Even as I typed that I kind of knew I wasn't saying it right.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

This brings up a interesting point -- what was the beginning of the end?  I think the original distal cause is The Tank.  But the most important proximate cause was the trade of Ryan O'Reilly.  It's not even the return; it was that it signified the first rebuild of the rebuild -- and was entirely unnecessary.  I still can't believe that XGMJB was trying to trade O'Reilly before the TDL.  How dumb is that?  Once that happened, we were in for more suffering.

What was the beginning of the end you ask?

It was the day Terry Pegula bought the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

It's not hard to figure out.  If they do take on debt it will affect their cashflow while they're paying it back.  Cashflow for the Sabres has slowed to a trickle at a time when they would like to maximize their cashflow.  It makes sense that a partial or total sale of the Sabres would improve their cashflow (with a lump sum) and reduce the amount of debt they have to service.

It's kind of like you want to do major renovations to your primary residence, so you sell your lake cottage to help finance the renovations.

I believe you’re over-simplifying the financial picture of a football team worth two billion dollars and an owner whose net worth is at least five billion dollars.  

If your home improvements (the Bills new stadium) are akin to 15% of your net worth (which the Sabres are half of that 15%), are you really selling that tangible assets to cover the balance? My position is you aren’t. 

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think PA's post reflects a large amount of spin and would like a link on this.

Rather than thinking, and asking me to give you a link, why not find the link, watch the lengthy videos like I did and state your case with something behind it besides reflexive animus (who never recovered from Johnny's OD)?

15 hours ago, K-9 said:

56cb350bd3848.image.jpg?resize=1333,832

Here, let me give you Terry's addy. I have it from when I sent him that Christmas card. You send him the pic and tell him he was wrong to say he's a football guy, there just happened to be a hockey team for sale first.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Rather than thinking, and asking me to give you a link, why not find the link, watch the lengthy videos like I did and state your case with something behind it besides reflexive animus (who never recovered from Johnny's OD)?

Here, let me give you Terry's addy. I have it from when I sent him that Christmas card. You send him the pic and tell him he was wrong to say he's a football guy, there just happened to be a hockey team for sale first.

Done!

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

This is the worry to me I guess, that the main motivator behind what we’ve done this season isn’t about building a winner, but building a sale. 

I totally don't understand this comment. Are you suggesting that if the Sabres weren't for sale, they wouldn't try to get better?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

So you’d like me to prove a negative?  By… watching every TP video available online and not seeing the statement you say he made?

No thank you.

As for reflexive animus, there’s only one poster in this tete-a-tete suffering from that malady, and it’s the guy who referred to the owners as “rich scumbags who rape the earth.”

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

So you’d like me to prove a negative?  By… watching every TP video available online and not seeing the statement you say he made?

No thank you.

As for reflexive animus, there’s only one poster in this tete-a-tete suffering from that malady, and it’s the guy who referred to the owners as “rich scumbags who rape the earth.”

You have all the info. you need to find the video in question.

On 3/1/2022 at 11:15 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

You act like owners don't care about the $5-6MM gross per game. Don't forget the road team gets 40%.

spongebob squarepants interview GIF

No, I didn't act like that.  You made that up.  You talked about surviving as a franchise based on ticket sales and that's untrue. 

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I totally don't understand this comment. Are you suggesting that if the Sabres weren't for sale, they wouldn't try to get better?

Man you really need to brush up in basic economics or you'll remain confused. 

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

You have all the info. you need to find the video in question.

28 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sadly, the links to those archived videos are dead on The Buffalo News website.

Well, google searches for "Pegula overrule Darcy" and "Pegula reject Darcy" deliver zero hits.

But there's this:  https://www.diebytheblade.com/2011/2/22/2008007/terry-pegulas-first-press-conference-completely-awesome

One thing we got out of Pegula's speech is that he is 100% behind both Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier. He claimed due diligence was done on both the coach and GM, and after talking to numerous people both in and out of the league was convinced that these were the guys for the job. He talked about Regier being handcuffed in the past, and then reassured everyone that he would give Darcy all the financial backing he needs.

Negative proven!  Heavy-spin-to-the-point-of-outright-BS-driven-by-reflexive-animus established!

Checkmate!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

He talked about Regier being handcuffed in the past, and then reassured everyone that he would give Darcy all the financial backing he needs.

Was Pegula's giving more resources (money) to Darcy contrary to the plan that Darcy had developed? ... I mean, I guess that's possible? 🤔

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sadly, the links to those archived videos are dead on The Buffalo News website.

I discovered that this morning. Fortunately, they will live forever in my mind, right down to Terry scraping under his fingernails and wiping away the crud from the beautiful News editorial boardroom table. "Part of the reason for the quit in this team is in this room." Moron. (Beyond the stupidity of thinking mild criticism from the vaunted Buffalo sports media would ever be a contributor to poor performance, the team hadn't quit on the season, as I'm sure most will recall.)

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I discovered that this morning. Fortunately, they will live forever in my mind, right down to Terry scraping under his fingernails and wiping away the crud from the beautiful News editorial boardroom table. "Part of the reason for the quit in this team is in this room." Moron. (Beyond the stupidity of thinking mild criticism from the vaunted Buffalo sports media would ever be a contributor to poor performance, the team hadn't quit on the season, as I'm sure most will recall.)

Is this the same as living rent-free?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.