Jack Eichel and 2023 3rd Traded to Vegas for F Alex Tuch, C Peyton Krebs, 2022 1st Top Ten Protected and 2023 2nd

Brawndo

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Krebs is starting to show real promise. Put him with a sniper and a power forward and we have the makings of another good line. 

If we use those picks wisely we can still win this trade. 

"Winning the trade" is going to be defined by each person based on their allegiances.

1.) To those fans of Eichel, this trade will never be won. If he does well in Vegas, they will say "he could have/would have" done the same thing if he stayed in Buffalo and judged the trade that way.  If he doesn't do well in Vegas, they will say "The Sabres ruined him and they didn't get enough back for what his 'talent' was."

2.) On the other hand, those who didn't like/want Eichel anymore will say the trade is a win, because you traded a 'damaged' asset and you got something of value back for someone that if he was still here would 'poison the locker room and the young guys in it'.  So to them, the trade is already a win.

Personally, I fall somepace between those two, but I lean more toward the 2nd.  Sure, the Sabres may have mis-handled him and his entire career up to now, but when the trade happened, you have to deal with what you have at that moment, not what 'could have been'.  Eichel should NOT have been disgruntled with the Sabres and probably wanted out...but it looks like he did.  Since that was the case at the moment of the trade, I think the Sabres did pretty well in it...they just might be better off with Tuch and Krebs and that pick than they would be with a disgruntled Eichel for 4 more years.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

"Winning the trade" is going to be defined by each person based on their allegiances.

1.) To those fans of Eichel, this trade will never be won. If he does well in Vegas, they will say "he could have/would have" done the same thing if he stayed in Buffalo and judged the trade that way.  If he doesn't do well in Vegas, they will say "The Sabres ruined him and they didn't get enough back for what his 'talent' was."

2.) On the other hand, those who didn't like/want Eichel anymore will say the trade is a win, because you traded a 'damaged' asset and you got something of value back for someone that if he was still here would 'poison the locker room and the young guys in it'.  So to them, the trade is already a win.

Personally, I fall somepace between those two, but I lean more toward the 2nd.  Sure, the Sabres may have mis-handled him and his entire career up to now, but when the trade happened, you have to deal with what you have at that moment, not what 'could have been'.  Eichel should NOT have been disgruntled with the Sabres and probably wanted out...but it looks like he did.  Since that was the case at the moment of the trade, I think the Sabres did pretty well in it...they just might be better off with Tuch and Krebs and that pick than they would be with a disgruntled Eichel for 4 more years.

I don’t know that it would be possible to quantify if Buffalo ever won or lost the trade.  We’ll never be able to know what the outcome of the alternative would have been.

I will say this, given that the 3 core pieces traded had decided that they were ready to move on, it doesn’t matter.  They had to go at that point.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

If Tuch + Krebs + future pick outpace Eichel in points for the remainder of their careers, did Buffalo win the trade?

I don’t think it even needs to be that way. If Tuch and Krebs and pick become solid contributors on a perennial playoff team, then we won. We could never become that team with Eichel on it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

If Tuch + Krebs + future pick outpace Eichel in points for the remainder of their careers, did Buffalo win the trade?

This isn't an exciting answer because it's not an all-caps take and therefore not helpful for the Interwebs... it's gray like the world. Both teams can win this trade.

The best way to review a trade is what was the intended outcome of each team's GM at the time of the trade. I say "GM" because they're often shuffled about within 7-8 years if they aren't winning the Cup, and "at the time" for the desired impact in the next 3-4 seasons meaning that particular GM's probable lifespan with the team.

From Vegas' standpoint, Eichel is supposed to get them over the top. They've been to the Final and are a Western Conference contender every year. They gave up 3 important pieces for another chance at the Cup. If they do not win the Cup, this is a failed trade. [Edit: Particularly with a $10M NMC kicking in that will limit their ability to keep this version of the team together.] They're selling out already on the strength of their start and because Vegas is an attractive getaway stop for any visiting team's fans, so the simple draw of a superstar potential player is not the goal of this trade for them.

From Buffalo's standpoint, they needed competitive players who could lead the new core out of the depths. They needed multiple top-six potential players and additional pieces that could provide depth. If Tuch and Krebs stay healthy and play as they've played (with Tuch playing this way for a year or two and Krebs improving in the next 2 seasons), then Sabres already won this trade from their perspective. Then that late 1st becomes gravy.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 2/11/2022 at 6:43 PM, pi2000 said:

I think you have to at least put in something for the guys that Eichel plays with, or even others on the team. As someone implied above, the someone in Vegas just got gifted the 2nd best D pair and 2nd best defensive forwards on whatever team was opposing them where they've been facing #1s before this. If you really have to do it for this season, see what happens with Vegas' collective PPG, Goals, or Wins before and after. You even get some time to analyze pre- and post- Tuch without Eichel playing until now.

I never want to hear about this guy ever again.  I care about him as much as I care about Anze Kopitar.  Which is not at all. I’m a fan of the Buffalo Sabres. I’m not some fanboi that gets all excited about young men.  Make him, this thread and the Vaggis nights disappear. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, inkman said:

I never want to hear about this guy ever again.  I care about him as much as I care about Anze Kopitar.  Which is not at all. I’m a fan of the Buffalo Sabres. I’m not some fanboi that gets all excited about young men.  Make him, this thread and the Vaggis nights disappear. 

No one is forcing you to read the thread, sir.

poke GIF

Move along.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.