What do you expect from: #71 Victor Olofsson?

dudacek

Victor Olofsson  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Olofsson this year?

• He's going to be the team's most dangerous goal scorer and have a career year
    • One of the team's best offensive weapons, but that's not saying much
    • He's going to struggle without Eichel or anyone else creating space for him and be one of the team's bigger disappointments

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

All questions regarding VO revolve (or devolve) on what is the offer for his services in trade and what does he want in a contract extension in $ and term.  

Does he want a 5 year extension or a 1 year deal?  How much does he want $4 mill, 4.5, 5 or more?  What are the offers for him?  A 1st this year? A D with term?

While I'd hate to part with a player we so patiently developed, I do question what his long-term place in the lineup is,  Odds are we are going to get another forward with this year's high draft picks.  If we luck into someone like Slafkovsky, we might have an NHL ready replacement at 25% of the price.  However, we may actually need his $4.5 to $5 mill cap hit to stay above the cap floor over the next few years.

In my armchair GM rosters, I have us re-signing VO for 3 years at 4.5 mil each, but if someone offers something stupid for him this deadline or off-season, then I can easily see KA making the deal. 

If Olofsson can be signed in the range of 4 yrs per $4 M or the contract that you that you listed at 3 yrs per $4.5, I would keep him. This bottom feeding team needs to add talent, not let them go. As far as getting winger prospects in the draft, that is fine. But any player drafted this year is mostly at the minimum two to three years away. 

What this season highlights is the necessity of having depth. And what is also apparent that when the organization struggles to meet the salary floor there should be little concern about the salary that VO will command. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t know about a first but I’d definitely be looking to trade from our pick accumulation before a useful on-ice player like VO, if at all possible. But I suppose it comes down to how much people value actually trying to win games next year.

When the injuries start piling up, as they always do, we won’t be able to plug in a 2023 second round pick into the lineup to help, and the injuries excuse doesn’t work as a scape goat if we are are willingly parting with decent-to-good players when a draft pick will do.

I’m good with a hockey trade type swap though if i’s going to improve the team, and it’s certainly preferable to downgrading VO to picks, which just pushes back the timeline to competitiveness.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I don’t know about a first but I’d definitely be looking to trade from our pick accumulation before a useful on-ice player like VO, if at all possible. But I suppose it comes down to how much people value actually trying to win games next year.

When the injuries start piling up, as they always do, we won’t be able to plug in a 2023 second round pick into the lineup to help, and the injuries excuse doesn’t work as a scape goat if we are are willingly parting with decent-to-good players when a draft pick will do.

I’m good with a hockey trade type swap though if i’s going to improve the team, and it’s certainly preferable to downgrading VO to picks, which just pushes back the timeline to competitiveness.

I’m mostly on board with this take.  However, if they trade Olofsson for futures, but then also use some futures to acquire a replacement in a separate deal, that works for me.

• Like (+1) 1

Keep Olofsson.  The young guys coming in next season are going to have their ups and downs.  Having Olofsson as a scorer can help their transition, and take some pressure off them.

If the young guys mature quickly, Olofsson's contract will still be tradeable next year or the year after.

At this point, if Anderson wants to play another season, I'd keep him too.  The team rallies around him and he enjoys playing with the young guys.

These two guys are more important to the team's development arc right now than mid round draft picks.

On 3/9/2022 at 5:01 PM, dudacek said:

Olofsson for Max Comtois, straight across hockey trade.

I wouldn't give up Olofsson for Comtois. The Sabres are one lowest scoring teams in the league. We need shooters. I'm aware that he hasn't done so well in that area this season but an injury has been a factor in his low goal number. 

Max Comtois is the type of player that the Sabres should go after this offseason. He is a promising player who is struggling this season. As others have stated he may need a change of scenery to reinvigorate his career. Just as Florida was able to make a trade with Calgary to get Bennett (who needed a change of scenery) at a low price (second round pick plus prospect) maybe a player like Comtois could be had at a discounted price. I wouldn't be reluctant to give up our lowest first round pick for him or trade second round picks in consecutive years for him. He is 24 yrs old. He is a young player who fits within our rebuilding plan. And what would make such a deal even more appealing is that he could play right away.  

I think keeping him on the team for a couple more seasons until someone supplants him is the right move.  There are at least a half dozen worse wingers on the team.  Until he gets bumped down to the 4th line, keep him around.  He should be productive for another couple seasons. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, inkman said:

I think keeping him on the team for a couple more seasons until someone supplants him is the right move.  There are at least a half dozen worse wingers on the team.  Until he gets bumped down to the 4th line, keep him around.  He should be productive for another couple seasons. 

Yup.   I’m pretty sure I said pretty much the same thing pages ago.  Until his role is adequately and demonstrably replaced he has value to the roster and his contract doesn’t hurt us.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.