What do you expect from: #71 Victor Olofsson?

dudacek

Victor Olofsson  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Olofsson this year?

• He's going to be the team's most dangerous goal scorer and have a career year
    • One of the team's best offensive weapons, but that's not saying much
    • He's going to struggle without Eichel or anyone else creating space for him and be one of the team's bigger disappointments

8 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman mentioned during His Weekly Appearance on After Le Whistle Podcast that He has heard VO’s Name on the Trade Market. Named the Rangers specifically.

RD Schnieder would be the ideal target, don’t see the Rangers sacrificing that chip on Olofsson.

G Georgiev, F Chytil and Kravtsov are players the Rangers might move that the Sabres might have interest in.

Rangers also have a late 1st and 2 2nds.

RD Lundkvist might be the sweet spot.

Miller, Anderson and Olofsson for Georgiev and Lundkvist, with the Sabres retaining?

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

RD Schnieder would be the ideal target, don’t see the Rangers sacrificing that chip on Olofsson.

G Georgiev, F Chytil and Kravtsov are players the Rangers might move that the Sabres might have interest in.

Miller, Anderson and Olofsson for Georgiev and Lundkvist, with the Sabres retaining?

Not interested in that latter trade; we give up far more than the value of a mediocre goalie and an ok RHD prospect.

I keep Olofsson if all they offer are picks and or distant prospects. If they want Olofsson, I want Lundkvist and a 2nd. One is a proven NHL scorer playing injured as an RFA and the other is a Mid to Bot pairing Dman with little proven at the NHL level.

Funniest thing about dealing Olofsson is how closely he fits the profile of the type of player I’ve been advocating the Sabres should be trading for.

Not on the ice, but just in terms of being an underperforming buy-low opportunity on the market mostly for contract reasons. Assuming he could be had for a 2ndish and signed at about 4/4.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

In that article mentioning VO as a trade option, it says the Rangers would be looking for a veteran backup goalie, I would make Georgiev a target and add Anderson from Buffalo side

I would do Olofsson to Rags for d prospect Nils Lundkvist and 22' 2nd rd pick (whatever pick is better between Blues and Rags pick) and also include goalie swap of Georgiev for Anderson.

Olofsson and Anderson for Georgiev, Lundkvist and 22' 2nd rd pick.

Let Georgiev and another UFA vet split duties next year.  I want to see UPL play one full year in Rochester.

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

Funniest thing about dealing Olofsson is how closely he fits the profile of the type of player I’ve been advocating the Sabres should be trading for.

Not on the ice, but just in terms of being an underperforming buy-low opportunity on the market mostly for contract reasons. Assuming he could be had for a 2ndish and signed at about 4/4.

I don't believe that Olofsson's value in the market would offset his value to us if he were retained on a reasonable contract i.e. around $4 M for three years. His injury clearly affected his play. He seems to now be better and is playing a more rounded game with his shooting returning to form, although the production isn't what it was prior to being hurt. 

Some here have speculated about dealing him for a first round pick. That is very unlikely to happen. In my mind he is the type of player who could be a good third line player and provide much needed secondary scoring. 

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Georgiev doesn't seem to be that good though. 

He’s not.

He is, however, better than Dell and Tokarski, and should be more capable of playing 40 games than Craig Anderson.

Adams appears to be shopping in a Venn Diagram of “available” “OK with Buffalo” “affordable cap hit” “affordable acquisition cost” “not going to block UPL” and “doesn’t have term”

I hope we do better, but Georgiev is one of a very small group of goalies who fits.

Just now, dudacek said:

What about trading him for a 2022 version of 2019 Jokiharju?

I’m hesitant to trade from our weak F group for a d-man, but we are in need everywhere on the roster so as long as it’s a good old fashioned talent in, talent out deal, I’d be good with it and like KA’s chances to pull off something reasonable 

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

He’s not.

He is, however, better than Dell and Tokarski, and should be more capable of playing 40 games than Craig Anderson.

Adams appears to be shopping in a Venn Diagram of “available” “OK with Buffalo” “affordable cap hit” “affordable acquisition cost” “not going to block UPL” and “doesn’t have term”

I hope we do better, but Georgiev is one of a very small group of goalies who fits.

I think with Georgiev being young he still has potential to be good/decent starter (1b type).

There's a short list of goalies though that you would have an argument over Dell being better then, Hutton might be the only one to come to mind.......

Tokarski is an ok emergency goalie, and Anderson can't be relied on to play many games. I think keeping UPL in Rochester for another season is the best option if the Sabres can improve their goaltending rather then giving him the starter job because there's no one else, or letting him sit behind someone on the bench. Let him get the playing time in the minors and force the Sabres to give him the job. No one's ever been destroyed by playing too long in the minors. If Georgiev can become a good starter, having him and UPL, plus some good prospects at the position in the wings is a great problem to have.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

UPL playing next year in Rochester simply isn’t going to happen. We will have at least Portillo or Levi (or both) signing at the end of the NCAA season. One or both will be playing in Rochester. 

I agree.  The plan will be for UPL to be in Buffalo all season with some veterany type.  They will sign a prospect (most likely Levi) to start or share time in Rochester.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

All questions regarding VO revolve (or devolve) on what is the offer for his services in trade and what does he want in a contract extension in $ and term.  

Does he want a 5 year extension or a 1 year deal?  How much does he want $4 mill, 4.5, 5 or more?  What are the offers for him?  A 1st this year? A D with term?

While I'd hate to part with a player we so patiently developed, I do question what his long-term place in the lineup is,  Odds are we are going to get another forward with this year's high draft picks.  If we luck into someone like Slafkovsky, we might have an NHL ready replacement at 25% of the price.  However, we may actually need his $4.5 to $5 mill cap hit to stay above the cap floor over the next few years.

In my armchair GM rosters, I have us re-signing VO for 3 years at 4.5 mil each, but if someone offers something stupid for him this deadline or off-season, then I can easily see KA making the deal. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.