What do you expect from: #71 Victor Olofsson?

dudacek

Victor Olofsson  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Olofsson this year?

• He's going to be the team's most dangerous goal scorer and have a career year
    • One of the team's best offensive weapons, but that's not saying much
    • He's going to struggle without Eichel or anyone else creating space for him and be one of the team's bigger disappointments

There are a few Olofsson thread out there; seemed like it would be good to post in this one.

The beginning and the end of the season pretty much falls under the first bullet I think, with a long period of injury/recovery in between.  But surprisingly he's much more than a goal scorer. 

Just prior to his injury he was arguably the Sabres' best forward, not just scoring but driving play.  He's been a big part of the March resurgence as he's found his game again.  The surprising thing has been his passing/set up ability.  Since he's gotten his lethal shot back, teams expect him to be a shoot-first winger and he usually is, but he also has the vision to know who's around him and dishes when the shot isn't there.  He's recently created goals with sick feeds to other Sabres such as Dahlin's goal in the last Toronto game.

It brings up an interesting question:  Is he part of the core?  Can the Sabres afford to keep him along with all the upcoming young talent?  If Adams decides to move him, does his injury history discount his value on the market?  Does it allow Kevyn to sign him to an affordable contract?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

There are a few Olofsson thread out there; seemed like it would be good to post in this one.

The beginning and the end of the season pretty much falls under the first bullet I think, with a long period of injury/recovery in between.  But surprisingly he's much more than a goal scorer. 

Just prior to his injury he was arguably the Sabres' best forward, not just scoring but driving play.  He's been a big part of the March resurgence as he's found his game again.  The surprising thing has been his passing/set up ability.  Since he's gotten his lethal shot back, teams expect him to be a shoot-first winger and he usually is, but he also has the vision to know who's around him and dishes when the shot isn't there.  He's recently created goals with sick feeds to other Sabres such as Dahlin's goal in the last Toronto game.

It brings up an interesting question:  Is he part of the core?  Can the Sabres afford to keep him along with all the upcoming young talent?  If Adams decides to move him, does his injury history discount his value on the market?  Does it allow Kevyn to sign him to an affordable contract?

Why would the GM want to move him? As you accurately describe he is playing a well rounded game, not just shooter. As far as signing him to an affordable contract he deserves what he would approximately get if he were on the market. The Sabres are in a very good cap situation. They should be able to afford him. The vexing issue when negotiating with him should not be the annual salary as it would be the length of the contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/13/2022 at 11:51 AM, bob_sauve28 said:

He is worth north of $5 million and I’m sure he knows that. If Sabres don’t make a very generous offer he should try the open market. Would he look better in Penguins black or Rangers blue? 

He's an rfa

I'd give VO 4.5 x4 years front loading it a bit so in year 4 if needed he's ready to trade. 

• Like (+1) 3

Interesting quote from Granato when applied to our most high-profile free agent.

“Kevyn (Adams) did an amazing job with setting us up for this as a coaching staff, to have guys that we know will return. Not a lot of activity as far as re-signing guys for the summer. There is some, but we know the guys want to be back and we know we’ll be able to get it done."

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

we know we’ll be able to get it done.

That is one thing about both Donny and Kevyn:  Good or bad, you wouldn't know it.  Always positive for the media.  I don't mean that in a bad way, that they're in denial or they're hiding anything.  I think they do their homework and have faith that it will work out, and their positive narrative helps shape the outcome. 

The exception that proves the rule, unfortunately, is Ullmark.  But even in that case I think Kevyn did the right thing to walk away when he did instead of getting into a bidding war.

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I expect him to be a good as Sam Reinhart.  

All humor aside, VO is really coming into his own since his wrist got healthy.  3 assist tonight was a stat line you'd have never imagined for him two years ago.

Two months?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.