Should KA Let Jack Get The Surgery He Wants?

bob_sauve28

Should Kevin Adams Just Let Jack Get The Surgery He Wants?   

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should KA let Jack get his surgery

• Yes--Call Jack;'s Bluff and Give the Green Light and let the cards fall where they may
    • No--This kid is obviously getting bad advice and it would be foolish for the Sabres to waste an asset like Jack to this Quackery

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is the accepted situation, and I agree it makes sense, but has it ever actually been confirmed?

I have never seen it out of the mouths of any of the parties involved, or reported as anything or than speculation.

We're all just heavily utilizing Occam's Razor. 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jack can have the surgery he wants at any time.  He just runs the risk of the Sabres suspending him without pay or voiding his contract.  The reason there is an impass is that Jack wants his $50 mill also.  Unfortunately for Jack, the Sabres are saying the insurance on your contract doesn't cover the surgery you want and therefore we can't approve it.  Essentially Jack wants his surgery but wants the Sabres to take all the risk.  The Sabres correctly are saying forget it.  

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is the accepted situation, and I agree it makes sense, but has it ever actually been confirmed?

I have never seen it out of the mouths of any of the parties involved, or reported as anything or than speculation.

dudacek beat me to it (assuming he was referring to the bolded).  I haven't heard anyone from the Sabres referring to the insurance.

And while the insurance is surely a significant factor, I think the biggest factor is the medical advice the Sabres have been getting -- i.e. that fusion surgery is more likely to get Jack playing again, and thus restore value to the asset, than ADR surgery is.  In other words, even if the insurance policy would pay in the event of a failed ADR that left Jack unable to play, the Sabres would probably still not approve the ADR.

23 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

dudacek beat me to it (assuming he was referring to the bolded).  I haven't heard anyone from the Sabres referring to the insurance.

And while the insurance is surely a significant factor, I think the biggest factor is the medical advice the Sabres have been getting -- i.e. that fusion surgery is more likely to get Jack playing again, and thus restore value to the asset, than ADR surgery is.  In other words, even if the insurance policy would pay in the event of a failed ADR that left Jack unable to play, the Sabres would probably still not approve the ADR.

I have posted before, but the Sabres have a policy against Jack's contract.  I learned this from a friend in the industry who bid on the deal.  He also told me that the standard in the industry is about 75% coverage.  So if Jack is injured, then the policy pays the Sabres 7.5 mill of the 10 mill salary. 

When you saw the references to "experimental' treatment, that is insurance language for a non-approved procedure.  The Sabres are also following sound and proven medical advice.  I saw elsewhere that one of the surgeons consulting with the Sabres is also an authority on ADR and says the ACDF is the way to go here.  

I honestly don't see how this gets resolved at this point unless one of the parties backs down.  Both parties have $50 million reasons not to back down, but also $50 million reasons to get this resolved.  Both want Jack on the ice and playing.  

Honestly, if Jack had a leg to stand on for the treatment he wants he'd have filed a medical arbitration case.  He hasn't.  Still I'd like to see Jack the surgery he wants, but that's not happening unless Jack assumes some of the financial risk of it failing.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This is probably new territory.  The Sabres hold all the cards.  You simply cannot be on the hook for that much money if the surgery does not go well and your insurance company will not back it.  Jack does not have many options unless another team is willing to take the risk.  It will be interesting to see how this ends.   But i doubt the Sabres blink.  They would be at extreme risk.

This whole situation has become one big ***** up mess with no end in sight. 

The team should allow whatever surgery their team doctors agree is best. 

Surgery has been recommended but is that for the purposes of getting the player back to the ice sooner, or because it's the only course of action that will heal the injury? 

I still wonder if rest will eventually heal the injury?

The longer he goes without playing or physical contact the "healthier" he should be, no? 

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

This whole situation has become one big ***** up mess with no end in sight. 

The team should allow whatever surgery their team doctors agree is best. 

Surgery has been recommended but is that for the purposes of getting the player back to the ice sooner, or because it's the only course of action that will heal the injury? 

I still wonder if rest will eventually heal the injury?

The longer he goes without playing or physical contact the "healthier" he should be, no? 

Correct.

Jack used the disconnect w/ team doctors as a way out of Buffalo.    It backfired.

If I'm a player with this injury I give it at least 1 year to heal naturally before pulling the triggering on potentially career ending surgery.   

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Correct.

Jack used the disconnect w/ team doctors as a way out of Buffalo.    It backfired.

If I'm a player with this injury I give it at least 1 year to heal naturally before pulling the triggering on potentially career ending surgery.   

This makes a lot of sense to me as someone well over 50.  How it looks to a 23 year old...

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Correct.

30 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

This makes a lot of sense to me as someone well over 50.  How it looks to a 23 year old...

If Jack is worried about his future, he should avoid any artificial insertions in his body. I forgot to mention one side effect of my new knee implants. Every time I get my teeth cleaned at the dentist, I have to take a fistful of antibiotics! Why? Because any foreign objects in your body tend to attract infection!  So while I enjoy walking with less (but not no) pain, I live with that threat.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Agree it is the Pegula’s call… If it were my decision, when Eichel and his Reps give up any claim to remaining contract compensation if he is unable to pass a team physical after the surgery he wants… he can have it his way… The Sabres retain all rights… Pass or fail, let any team outside the division make an offer… 

It’s time to ask John what he REALLY wants. 

1. does he want the money and the recommended surgery and a trade 

2. does he want his preferred surgery and potentially no money and no trade 

All of this ballyhoo about “it’s never happened before in pro sports” makes it sound more complicated than it really is  

• Thanks (+1) 1

I vote No.  The Sabres have a medical staff.  This staff’s position has been supported by other outside doctors.  The Sabres need to stick by their medical staffs opinion and not succumb to media pressure, especially social media pressure.

JACK IS NOT BIGGER THAN THE TEAM.  He might think he is but the TEAM will be around longer than he will.  

If Jack is convinced of his approach he can do it on his own and let it play out   

• Like (+1) 2

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/mike-harrington-jack-eichel-should-assume-some-risk-and-go-have-his-surgery/article_df7661c6-22b2-11ec-a926-57b5674b80a5.html

Yes, he'll get suspended by the Sabres. But that might happen anyway when the season starts and Eichel isn't available to play because he has rejected the club's medical advice. Yes, he'll lose his salary in that timeframe and he'll be paying for a procedure to fix an injury that came during a game and not from some off-ice mishap. But if he is so sure this is the procedure that will get him back on the ice, he should go do it.

The Sabres aren't going to terminate his contract. They're going to want major return for their asset. If he's healthy, plenty of teams would want to make a deal. The Sabres' demands, long believed to be at least four pieces and perhaps more, are just too much right now for an injured player. Eichel can take the step he needs to get cleared medically and then get a new address.

Sabres suspend him and force his hand.  Enough already.  Jack go get the surgery you want.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.