Pick #14 (13th player): LW/RW Isak Rosen (SHL)

GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, pastajoe said:

I love to see a kid’s PP rifle

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Lol I mean I won't pretend I graduated with a degree in stats but the projections posted on here about NHL star abilities and Power lower than others. End all be all? No. Still, just feels like we're drafting the same we've been drafting for years. 

I don’t think Isak Rosen is reflective of other picks we’ve made recently

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/prospect-interest-isak-rosen-skills-par-marner-kane/

“(When) you go back to the same age you're talking about a guy who's showing the same skills and talent as the Mitch Marners and the Patrick Kanes,” said Marr.

“These little guys who when they're soaking wet they hardly weigh anything, but they have this elusive speed, smarts and skills that they can go out and generate offence.”

It sounds like because they couldn't get Eklund, they drafted the guy who seems about 1 year behind him in development.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, thewookie1 said:

It sounds like because they couldn't get Eklund, they drafted the guy who seems about 1 year behind him in development.

That would be my thought. I think if Rosen played a full J20 his numbers would be similar to Eklund. Hard to say at thi  point but Rosen is 20 lbs below even his SHL playing weight so he's got lots of work to do. 

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

His J20 is fine for a 17 year old. 

We drafted 1st overall and 14th overall, would you agree your overall impression is "fine"?

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Anyone who hates it is trying too hard

There's something to be said for Adams taking 3 RWS with his last 3 meaningful forward selections 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

We drafted 1st overall and 14th overall, would you agree your overall impression is "fine"?

There's something to be said for Adams taking 3 RWS with his last 3 meaningful forward selections 

My overall impression is meh. Rosen is a project with lots of skill. Power is a 2nd pairing defender. 

I think Buffalo does a bad job of getting high end guys but instead defaults to projects with talent and high floor guys.

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea, he's got a decent shot. Wish Sillinger had slid.

Don't blame you.   This is one of those classes where talent is a bit all over the place.  I liked Lucius, Lysell, and even Svechkov over him.   However, he has skill.  He'll spend a season over seas.  It's got a better game than Marcus Davidsson does.  

2 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

Don't blame you.   This is one of those classes where talent is a bit all over the place.  I liked Lucius, Lysell, and even Svechkov over him.   However, he has skill.  He'll spend a season over seas.  It's got a better game than Marcus Davidsson does.  

and Wallstedt (who I would have taken there).

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

He's a ppg U20 on team Sweden, so a top line guy. He needs to bulk up and fill out. Definitely a longer-term project. In 3 years, hopefully he suddenly appears as a 3RW who scores like a 2RW.

So basically Olofsson.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm okay with the pick.  Biggest criticism is that he needs to grow into his body.  He's obviously a few years away and will develop in Sweden.  Lots of skill and great skater and dynamic scorer, adding weight and strength is easy (but takes time). 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

I think this is a guy Adams wanted all along. This fits his quote where he said he didn’t want someone necessarily ready for next year, but they would be the player they wanted in the 

I worry Adams doesn't understand drafting and player development. I'm not saying he doesn't, it just worries me. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Digger said:

I'm okay with the pick.  Biggest criticism is that he needs to grow into his body.  He's obviously a few years away and will develop in Sweden.  Lots of skill and great skater and dynamic scorer, adding weight and strength is easy (but takes time). 

I think this is the problem that many have. He may turn out great, but people are just sick and tired of always having to (and be told to) wait for the future. With the team seemingly on the verge of another rebuild with Eichel and Sam most likely on the way out, many want to see players that are more 'NHL ready' then a potential project we won't see on the roster for 3-4 years taken in the 1st. After every year hearing the same thing, more hype by fans and Buffalo media over the next great prospect they have thats just needs a few more years to develop, and then watching the previous ones come up and underwhelm, its going to cause many people to be disapointed seeing Rosens stats and getting drafted where he did...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.