Pick #14 (13th player): LW/RW Isak Rosen (SHL)

GASabresIUFAN

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Thing is, sample size was an issue for a lot of players this year.

Stars took a kid 9 picks later who played nowhere else but that tourney.

Kid also had 7 goals in 12 games in the Swedish junior league this year and good numbers in that league last year. His got a track record.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/420269/isak-rosen

They also took Quinn who was low on sample size relative to other players in the range. They definitely have a type. Its the "we know this guy better than everyone else and they are all wrong" type. 

We'll have to see how it shakes out 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Thorny said:

They also took Quinn who was low on sample size relative to other players in the range. They definitely have a type. Its the "we know this guy better than everyone else and they are all wrong" type. 

The Bills had that approach for years and we know how it shook out.  Every single time they tried to outsmart the rest of the league it blew up in their faces.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Good. Then we understand each other. 

Listen, I really am not here to argue with you (although we have been) SwampD recalls the posts, I haven't made them up. I hope the picks turn out awesome as we are all long suffering Sabres fans on this board and want nothing but to see this club become a competitive proud franchise. I hope Rosen lights it up and shoves it up my ###! I really do. Good for him and good for the Sabres. (and good for all of us) I am, as of right now, not crazy with that pick. I am not crazy about Dahlin's defence right now. He has good skills otherwise but he is a defenceman. Hopefully that aspect of his game gets better and it may now that Steve Smith is gone. 

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I read about how great Dahlin looked under Granato. But hey, you go on being full of *****. 

Without even trying - “I was hoping someone on the Sabres would drop them with 3 minutes left.  Instead I saw Shaehan get hit in the head with no response.   Then Dahlin backs down twice - no response.   No fight.  Just keep accepting the losses.  Keep getting shutout.”

But hey, you go on being a know it all *****.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

I’m talking pre-McBeane

McBeane are the exact same way. Their way or the highway. Just different strategies and they put personality first.

Murray was personality dead last, let’s get high ceiling and take the toxic players every team is trying to rid themselves of.  and this ‘veteran’ team is what ruined Risto/Eichel/Reinhart and led to today.  Botterill was high floor low ceiling safe only, and was paralyzed by inaction when it was needed.  Now we have a different approach of high ceiling, killer instinct (shoots well), and emphasizes skating over size. New coach pushes intuition over system.  It’s the same arrogance, just a different flavor. 

hard to judge KA on year one when he was just following Kruegers lead. 

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Without even trying - “I was hoping someone on the Sabres would drop them with 3 minutes left.  Instead I saw Shaehan get hit in the head with no response.   Then Dahlin backs down twice - no response.   No fight.  Just keep accepting the losses.  Keep getting shutout.

I hate this team.”

But hey, you go on being a know it all *****.

Thank you sir!!!! 

• SDS changed the title to Pick #14 (13th player): LW/RW Isak Rosen (SHL)
1 hour ago, Curt said:

I don’t know.  I didn’t make any claims about Rosen’s future.  NHL prospects often add 20 lbs or more from the time they are 17 until 22-23.

So you think the weight must be accurate, but then immediately accuse the height of being incorrect?

Not really, but I do know the NHL (at least in the past, has fudged some of the height stats, Wendel Clark was one) Rosen's weight may be 161 even but we all know he will have to put on some to make a career in the NHL.

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

But Rosen wasn’t.

Their type seems to be JJ Peterka pace (with upside), Jack Quinn upside (with pace) and highly coachable. 

Rosen seems all that.

They took him over other players (Lucius for example) who may have been ranked higher, but weren’t all that.

Edited by dudacek

But Rosen wasn’t.

Their type seems to be JJ Peterka pace, Jack Quinn upside and highly coachable. 

Rosen seems all that.

They took him over other players who may have been ranked higher, but weren’t all that.

Adams type has definitely been wingers, I agree with that

As for Rosen, it looks like the sample size they bet on from this season was 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, eman said:

Not really, but I do know the NHL (at least in the past, has fudged some of the height stats, Wendel Clark was one) Rosen's weight may be 161 even but we all know he will have to put on some to make a career in the NHL.

Yeah, ok, but really these measurements didn’t come from the NHL or NHL teams because these kids haven’t been weighed or measured by the NHL.  I don’t see how they could be exactly accurate because they mostly haven’t been updated in many months.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s a good thing all this hot air bloviating rarely turns out to be 100% accurate. These kids often turn out better or worse than the definitive statements made by fans at the draft.

Like every pick before, he’ll develop over the course of the next 3-5 years and look much different that he does at 18. Rinse and repeat.

• Like (+1) 1

But Rosen wasn’t.

Their type seems to be JJ Peterka pace (with upside), Jack Quinn upside (with pace) and highly coachable. 

Rosen seems all that.

They took him over other players (Lucius for example) who may have been ranked higher, but weren’t all that.

Also, I would say versatile players who can play multiple roles.  Quinn we’ve seen play down a lineup, grind, and be solid  defensively, Rosen plays the PK.  I guess this falls under being coachable, but I just wanted to add.

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Adams type has definitely been wingers, I agree with that

As for Rosen, it looks like the sample size they bet on from this season was 

You mean it’s based on the 7 U18 games and the 13 Swedish junior games, because the 22 SHL games wouldn’t have got him picked in the 1st round?

I mean, I guess…?

Because 40 games this year overall would have put him in more games than most prospects this year I think.

Edited by dudacek

Just now, dudacek said:

You mean it’s based on the 7 U18 games and the 13 Swedish junior games, because the 22 SHL games wouldn’t have got him picked in the 1st round?

I mean, I guess…?

Because 40 games this year overall was more than most draft picks would have put him in more games than most prospects this year I think.

Who knows, honestly. This pick is the pick. Looks like a slight reach, overall it seems fine in a vacuum - we just don't know what he'll become. 

I do know Adams has, thus far, ignored the centre pipeline entirely 

I have no problem arguing on behalf of system need when the knowledge I can surmise from that avenue is far more concrete than any talent evaluation any of us, really, could give on this player. 

22 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

What is the new Sabres blueprint?

GM Sheevyn's 10-year coup began with the secret construction of a BuffaStar capable of winning an entire Stanley Cup. I mean... it's not designed to withstand a small one-man fighter shooting a puck past an undefended goal....

This, maybe?

EarlyHonoredAsianlion.webp

Edited by DarthEbriate

52 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What's to be here. 

Which is hilarious

What if we think less literally about it? "Will want to be here." Get 'em while they're young, build something around them and they'll want to stay. Until then, they are strongly motivated to develop and build their careers. The others, the old core, a lot of the veterans in the league, don't want to be here/will never want to be here.

It's going to be tough, but I think it's going to be fun. It's the only way out.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.