Pick #14 (13th player): LW/RW Isak Rosen (SHL)

GASabresIUFAN

4 hours ago, Happy Days said:

From mynhldraft.com

Isak Rosen's Player Profile

Adam Kimelman - NHL.com - July 12th: "His speed is top-end, and he never backed down from physical play against older, more experienced players in the SHL. Rosen was willing to get to the front of the net in the offensive zone to produce."

Mike Morreale - NHL.com - July 12th: "The 18-year-old had one assist in 22 SHL games and scored 12 points (seven goals, five assists) in 12 games for Leksands' junior league team."

Josh Bell of FC Hockey - July 8th: "Rosen is an offensive weapon with explosion in his first steps and high competitiveness. He’s not afraid to get into the dirty areas despite his smaller frame."

Viktor Bergman of FC Hockey - July 8th: "A creative winger with elite puck skills, great vision and really good skating."

Alexa Potack - Dobber Prospects - July 7th: "His speed-driven style of play was held back by his size and he looked out of place at times. Mainly due to his small frame, Rosén is not near “NHL-ready” and will need to continue bulking up as he develops in Sweden."

Scott Wheeler - The Atheletic - June 22nd: "He’s inventive. He’s a light, fluid skater who changes directions in an instant and beats defenders off of cuts."

Steve Kournianos - The Draft Analyst - May 24th: "He is one of the draft’s quickst skaters and owns a deadly one-timer, but Rosen also showed his versatlity by killing penalties with success."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - May 12th: "There’s a power element in many phases of his game, be it getting off the mark or driving wide on the wing."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Apr. 23rd: "The 18-year-old has good acceleration, a good skating stride and the ability to change speeds, and his competitiveness makes him difficult to play against."

Alexa Potack - Dobber Prospects - Mar. 8: "His aforementioned speed helps to create odd-man rushes and breakaway opportunities. His vision pairs with this, making him a dependable playmaker."

Tony Ferrari - Dobber Prospects - Feb. 22nd: " He has a shot that you wouldn’t expect given his size and any strength added to his frame could improve it to a laughable degree. He plays with speed and pace, using his teammates well. "

Seems like he fits the new sabres blueprint.  

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

And it was an assist. You'd think if you were as high skilled as these scouts say you are you could get a couple more by accident.

He was a boy playing against men. With his peers he excelled. It's going to take some time for him to mature. Within his age group he ranked high. As a prospect this is not going to be a quick development. But if he is handled in the right way and not rushed the Sabres should get a return on their investment in a few years. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He was a boy playing against men. With his peers he excelled. It's going to take some time for him to mature. Within his age group he ranked high. As a prospect this is not going to be a quick development. But if he is handled in the right way and not rushed the Sabres should get a return on their investment in a few years. 

What is crazy is if you look at his points per 60 in the SHL, it is like .46 even though he barely scored. That is how little ice time he had. 

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What is crazy is if you look at his points per 60 in the SHL, it is like .46 even though he barely scored. That is how little ice time he had. 

In a year or two when he physically matures we should get a better feel for him as a prospect. I consider him a reasonable pick. (Not saying you are saying otherwise.) Only time will tell. It appears that he has offensive tools. Now it comes down to is when is this boy going to be  developed enough to compete against tough men. The benefit he had playing against men is that he got some insight into what it takes to play at the higher level. The Sabres have to exhibit patience and not make the "MItts  Rush" mistake of throwing a player into the fire when he isn't ready.  

I think he looks great playing in his peer group.  Fast and skilled and even a bit tenacious.  

Looking at his face, he is still a child.  Even more so than Dahlin was.   Weighing in at 156-160 range, he is a few years away from playing in the NHL. 

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

To 23. A couple spots below someone’s subjective ranking. 

This isn’t the NFL draft. 

Never said it was and never said they should’ve traded down. Just noting a trade down happened immediately after them.

8 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Sundin, Backstrom, Alfredson, Nylander, Filip Forsberg... Rasmus Dahlin

Are you ######## me? Gritty and tough???? No way!!! Alfredsson? Sundin? Nylander? You're just naming Swedes. Sorry, the criteria was gritty and tough Swedes and none of those fit the bill by a long shot. Sure they may rack up some points but the knock against Sundin was that when the going got tough, he never got going hence Leaf disappointments come playoff time. Nylander? None of them from Dad on down. These Swedes may be talented but they are all lacking in grit and toughness. Especially Rasmus Dahlin.

Just now, eman said:

Are you ######## me? Gritty and tough???? No way!!! Alfredsson? Sundin? Nylander? You're just naming Swedes. Sorry, the criteria was gritty and tough Swedes and none of those fit the bill by a long shot. Sure they may rack up some points but the knock against Sundin was that when the going got tough, he never got going hence Leaf disappointments come playoff time. Nylander? None of them from Dad on down. These Swedes may be talented but they are all lacking in grit and toughness. Especially Rasmus Dahlin.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

9 hours ago, Curt said:

When did you weigh him last?  There was no draft combine to get current info like this.  Maybe he’s put on 15 pounds of good weight since he was last officially weighed, for example.

When I watched the NHL draft. They all stated his weight and size (underweight and undersized but supposedly skilled) Did you watch the draft at all??? Why would they lie?

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

You know this. Don't be petty. If you watched hockey when those guys played, you know it's true. Rasmus Dahlin??? This board was screaming for him to drop the gloves just once as he became the opponents bitch near the end of the season. Don't deny that.

8 minutes ago, eman said:

When I watched the NHL draft. They all stated his weight and size (underweight and undersized but supposedly skilled) Did you watch the draft at all??? Why would they lie?

Where did the NHL get his size from?

Did they measure it themselves?  No, because there was no draft combine.

They got it from the last time he was officially weighed, which might have been when he reported to camp before this past season.  Usually the measurements for the better prospects are all accurate because they are measured at the combine.  That’s not necessarily the case this year.

And no, I didn’t watch the draft at all so far.

Edited by Curt

Just now, Curt said:

Where did the NHL get his size from?

Did they measure it themselves?  No, because there was no draft combine.

They got it from the last time he was officially weighed, which might have been when he reported to camp before this past season.  Usually the measurements for the better prospects are all accurate because they are measured at the combine.  That’s not necessarily the case this year.

Seriously, how much bigger to expect him to get?  He adds 20 pounds puts him at 176 (if he adds 20) I also bet 5, 11" is being generous. It was with Wendel Clark as I am 5,11' and I met Clark who wasn't as tall as me. He is undersized. I hope he is as skilled as they claim because he will need it. I hope he's Martin St. Louis II. We will see. 

8 minutes ago, eman said:

You know this. Don't be petty. If you watched hockey when those guys played, you know it's true. Rasmus Dahlin??? This board was screaming for him to drop the gloves just once as he became the opponents bitch near the end of the season. Don't deny that.

Things I don't ever need, Rasmus Dahlin to "drop the gloves"

Just now, eman said:

Seriously, how much bigger to expect him to get?  He adds 20 pounds puts him at 176 (if he adds 20) I also bet 5, 11" is being generous. It was with Wendel Clark as I am 5,11' and I met Clark who wasn't as tall as me. He is undersized. I hope he is as skilled as they claim because he will need it. I hope he's Martin St. Louis II. We will see. 

You're like one of those WGR callers who doesn't know what they are talking about calling in to tell everyone you don't know what you're talking about.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Things I don't ever need, Rasmus Dahlin to "drop the gloves"

He just may have to, or he continues to get pushed around because lets face facts, he may be great at moving the puck, but as a D-man, he really needs to improve a lot. He cannot move the body of opponents. He was just brutal at D last season. His rushing ability was there under Granato but he's listed as a defenceman. If opponents know he can be intimidated and pushed around, they'll do it.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, eman said:

I don’t know.  I didn’t make any claims about Rosen’s future.  NHL prospects often add 20 lbs or more from the time they are 17 until 22-23.

So you think the weight must be accurate, but then immediately accuse the height of being incorrect?

3 minutes ago, eman said:

He just may have to, or he continues to get pushed around because lets face facts, he may be great at moving the puck, but as a D-man, he really needs to improve a lot. He cannot move the body of opponents. He was just brutal at D last season. His rushing ability was there under Granato but he's listed as a defenceman. If opponents know he can be intimidated and pushed around, they'll do it.

We don't agree. You probably loved Risto though.

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t know.  I didn’t make any claims about Rosen’s future.  NHL prospects often add 20 lbs or more from the time they are 17 until 22-23.

So you think the weight must be accurate, but then immediately accuse the height of being incorrect?

I know the NHL skews the height on its stats. Clark wasn't the only one. Again, even if Rosen puts on 20 lbs. he's at 176.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

We don't agree. You probably loved Risto though.

Just go back on the posts from last season. This board was clamoring for Rasmus to toughen up as he was getting abused seriously near the end of the season. C'mon! Surely you haven't forgotten? Yup, I liked Ristolainen. Completely misused by this franchise and Philly will be a godsend for him. 

1 minute ago, eman said:

Just go back on the posts from last season. This board was clamoring for Rasmus to toughen up as he was getting abused seriously near the end of the season. C'mon! Surely you haven't forgotten? Yup, I liked Ristolainen. Completely misused by this franchise and Philly will be a godsend for him. 

Lol you go back and find that. I am not doing your research for you. 

3 minutes ago, eman said:

I know the NHL skews the height on its stats. Clark wasn't the only one. Again, even if Rosen puts on 20 lbs. he's at 176.

I got his height from Elite Prospects. 5'11" 161lbs. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol you go back and find that. I am not doing your research for you. 

I got his height from Elite Prospects. 5'11" 161lbs. 

If you're a regular on here (and I know you are!) you know the posts about Dahlin were there. If you watched any of the last games of the season, you saw him getting abused. If you have forgotten all that, there's nothing more for me to add. We will see soon enough if any of it has changed. I have no blind optimism about this season being any different than the past 10. This club will have to show me it is different under Granato. I sincerely hope they do. It has been long overdue.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.