OT: Your Dream Job

Wyldnwoody44

Since I don't know how much more Jack Eichel speculation I can take and this off-season is going to be soooo long; until things start actually happening, I figured I would create a thread for fun. 

Pretty simple; what would you do if you had no barriers or restrictions that you'd consider your dream job. Astrophysicist, jet fighter pilot, or work at Mighty Taco, there are no parameters here; perhaps some are already doing what they want. 

Please don't say professional lottery winner or I just wouldn't work, think outside the box, just curious what interests everyone here. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

High School History teacher and owner of a corner bar with a massive, private “man cave” upstairs.
Not that you asked this, but, In high school, the dream was to be a sportswriter until I got invited to a Larry Felser speech where he painted such a miserable, dreary portrait of his job that I turned to actuarial sciences.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

High School History teacher and owner of a corner bar with a massive, private “man cave” upstairs.
Not that you asked this, but, In high school, the dream was to be a sportswriter until I got invited to a Larry Felser speech where he painted such a miserable, dreary portrait of his job that I turned to actuarial sciences.

Must have been a helluva speech.  I can't imagine too many positions more dreary than actuary work.

2 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I would love to be a chef, I was one in Pittsburgh for a bit before medicine and I love it. It just didn't give me a lifestyle that I could enjoy. Cooking is one of my main de-stressors

Operating a restaurant would be my #2 choice.

NHL amateur scout.

Finding the diamond in the rough that develops into an NHL regular. Watching junior hockey every night. I’m semi retired now so this could free me up to travel anywhere. I would love to be the floater who gets sent to NCAA,USHL, WHL, QMJHL games and even Europe a few times a year to give my two cents on other scouts’ views.

• Like (+1) 1

Owner/Operator of a small diner/pub or a Bed and Breakfast. Cooking is a passion and making people happy and satisfied is rewarding. Small scale, high quality would be the ultimate. Wouldn’t be doing it to be rich or famous just the pure enjoyment and satisfaction

• Thanks (+1) 1

I am 100% undecided between 1 of 2 potential paths:

Path 1 - Own a distillery/brewery/restaurant that bordered either a large sea or ocean.  Nothing big, large enough to sustain itself.  Basically live a somewhat carefree life (not that owning this would not bring stress) and help people reach a peak stress-free people in their lives while they visit my establishment. I have a certain passion for large bodies of water (the Great Lakes are nice, but just not BIG enough). I think the ocean is the best way on Earth to demonstrate how relatively insignificant we are in the Universe. When you realize that, you can come to a peace and harmony with it, and that's where the booze and food come in. Recognize the flavors of life and accept your place in existence.

Path 2 - I am highly inspired by Anthony Bourdain's travel show career. No one can mimic what he did or how he did it.  I would love to travel the world exposing people to the life in a country that's not exposed in tourist brochures or on the news (what little of it we get in the US to begin with).  I think its important for the history of other countries and cultures to be told to the citizens of this country so they can better understand not only what is happening in the world at large but understand the immigrants from those nations who end up in the United States. This satisfies a different passion of mine, the need for constant change.  This may seem strange against what I said above about oceans but given the everyday bustle of life, the same monotonous pattern develops and its boring. In Path 1 I would live this change through the constant change of people who were visiting me whereas in this path I visit them.

And thanks for starting this thread.  Really needing a break from the number of Eichel/coach/draft threads that inevitably all come back to the same discussion points. This is a welcome change from it!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Instead of stating the obvious, Rick's successor, I'll offer some dream job characteristics:

1. You don't care how much you earn

2. You love the work and at the very least like and respect your co-workers

3. The work is about helping people who need the help and need you, so you leave work feeling fulfilled and sometimes feeling like you failed those people, but it doesn't deter you (and they don't hold it against you)

4. You don't have to get up super early

Too specific, maybe. Right now I have all of it. I'm very surprised this turned out be my dream job.

I would open an indoor play place for kids since there is nothing like that where I live. I picture a multi-level play area with slides, ball pits, ball canons, all sorts of various obstacles for kids to climb, tunnels to crawl through etc. I would add a small area for toddlers like 3 and under maybe so they can be separated from the big kids. I would add in a small trampoline area as well like Skyzone. I imagine several large rooms to host birthday parties and things like that. I'd have a pretty simple menu, typical 'bar food' fare; pizza, wings, chicken fingers, fries, onion rings, burgers, dogs, mozzarella sticks etc etc. The best part is that i would have an adult area where parents could hangout while the kids are playing. Beer and wine bar, pool tables, ping pong tables, cornhole and of course Fowling! Edit-retro-arcade for the adults as well with some of the classics. Pacman, Blades of Steel, Spy Hunter, After Burner, Missile Command, Tron, Street Fighter II, Bubble Hockey

I live in Southwest Ohio, the summers get pretty gross and humid and of course we have winter. I think an all year indoor play place could do well. One of the largest Air Forces bases within the US is here, so i think there would always be plenty families coming through. It would be just too hard to do financially and I really don't have a business background either....le sigh

Edited by Marions Piazza

17 minutes ago, LTS said:

I am 100% undecided between 1 of 2 potential paths:

Path 1 - Own a distillery/brewery/restaurant that bordered either a large sea or ocean.  Nothing big, large enough to sustain itself.  Basically live a somewhat carefree life (not that owning this would not bring stress) and help people reach a peak stress-free people in their lives while they visit my establishment. I have a certain passion for large bodies of water (the Great Lakes are nice, but just not BIG enough). I think the ocean is the best way on Earth to demonstrate how relatively insignificant we are in the Universe. When you realize that, you can come to a peace and harmony with it, and that's where the booze and food come in. Recognize the flavors of life and accept your place in existence.

Path 2 - I am highly inspired by Anthony Bourdain's travel show career. No one can mimic what he did or how he did it.  I would love to travel the world exposing people to the life in a country that's not exposed in tourist brochures or on the news (what little of it we get in the US to begin with).  I think its important for the history of other countries and cultures to be told to the citizens of this country so they can better understand not only what is happening in the world at large but understand the immigrants from those nations who end up in the United States. This satisfies a different passion of mine, the need for constant change.  This may seem strange against what I said above about oceans but given the everyday bustle of life, the same monotonous pattern develops and its boring. In Path 1 I would live this change through the constant change of people who were visiting me whereas in this path I visit them.

And thanks for starting this thread.  Really needing a break from the number of Eichel/coach/draft threads that inevitably all come back to the same discussion points. This is a welcome change from it!

love both your paths here, i think #2 would be incredible!

22 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Instead of stating the obvious, Rick's successor, I'll offer some dream job characteristics:

1. You don't care how much you earn

2. You love the work and at the very least like and respect your co-workers

3. The work is about helping people who need the help and need you, so you leave work feeling fulfilled and sometimes feeling like you failed those people, but it doesn't deter you (and they don't hold it against you)

4. You don't have to get up super early

Too specific, maybe. Right now I have all of it. I'm very surprised this turned out be my dream job.

Would say it isn't specific enough.  If one isn't continually (or nearly continually) learning then even the job you described above is "work."  IMHO.  YMMV.

Stand-up.

I was trying to make youtube comedy videos in the early 1990s, well before youtube. I decided to look for actors at open-mics, so I started to go to faceboyz open mic and after about a month I decided I might be as good as all these people, so I signed up, and did that for a year or two.

The place in the East 90's, Comedy ______, I forget, (not Dangerfields) used to have open mic once a week. A couple times a year everyone would go to the club and sign up 6 months in advance, and part of their open mic is the woman that ran the club would consult for 3 minutes after your stage time. She asked me how often I performed, "Once a week" I lied, because I was performing about once every two weeks. "No. No. No, you gotta do 10 nights a week". If you've seen my podcast, you'd understand that I had a really low ceiling in my standup career, for multiple reasons.

15 years later I decide I still like the writing part, but the audience doesn't want to hear from someone my age, so I decide to write a script about a new performer being taught standup by her father, an updated All in the Family, with a 25 year old woman as meathead living in the basement of her retiring comedian father. My producer friend is interested, so we start development, which falls apart when he insists on doing blaxsploitation, "Dude, I can't write comedy for black people." But I got a lotta friends, what's one less?  I decide to produce it on my own, so in 2017 I'm busing up to Queens once a week to shoot at a wonderful open mic, the actress is really good, we shoot about 20 to 25 performances, about an hour of material. She finds a working standup willing to play her father, and it's all good, until the working standup sees it as an updated My Three Sons, "I can't play Archie Bunker, it would be bad for my brand"  ... sigh, it's terminally unfunny. 

So searching around for another actress interrupted by covid: the youtube star who does Sabre game reactions and writes goofy songs would be perfect, she doesn't get back to me, the pole dancer in Arlington would take the project in an entire new direction, she goes to the wrong open mic in DC and changes her mind, the woman working at my dump actually reads the script...thinks about it...not doing it.

I gotta new plan... it's not over yet.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.