Sabres Prospects 2017-2018

Doohickie

Yes his offensive skills are superb. However, still a lot of immaturity in his game... he tries to dangle every single guy one on one... and at the junior level that might work one out of every 3 or 4 times and it looks sexy when he pulls it off. That stuff doesn't work on NHL players, and we saw against Sweden his turnovers led directly to scoring chances going the other way.... and there were a lot of them.

I guess the question, is Casey better off in the NCAA maturing or the AHL playing against pros? I would rather have him develop in Rochester than in Minnie. There he’ll have access to professional trainers and staff that will help refine his game. He also won’t have the distractions of college. And as I said before, he’s leaving money on the table by staying in college. He’s going to be a pro so why delay the inevitable. I could be wrong but I think the business side will win out in this situation. The major factor is that it will chew up 1 year of his ELC and put him that much closer to getting paid.

Minor point of order, but if he has an agent he's already gone pro. Or else Minnesota is in trouble...

Good point. I’m sure he and his family have someone advising them. Unofficially of course.

Edited by Beer

they took it off gist of what Scott Stevens says is he thinks Middlestadt can get faster and needs to get stronger and depends on if he is willing to put the work in. Hands and hockey mind only get you so far in the NHL and in the playoffs its even more physical.

they took it off gist of what Scott Stevens says is he thinks Middlestadt can get faster and needs to get stronger and depends on if he is willing to put the work in. Hands and hockey mind only get you so far in the NHL and in the playoffs its even more physical.

Sounds like he was talking about Samson.....

Hands and hockey mind get you to the NHL.  Adjusting physically is something that comes with time.  

I'd expect he follows the Charlie McAvoy route - stay in college his sophomore year & then sign a deal after the season is over to play a few games before Buffalo/Rochester go home for the summer.

I agree. This would still burn that 1st year ELC and allow him another year for development.

They are signing Mittelstud this off-season. Jbot will want him in Roch to learn the system and monitor his physical development.

Almost any analyst worth caring about has opined that he isn’t going to play in Rochester. Sabres or College. Likely Sabres.

Maybe I stand alone but,I think he takes the Clayton Keller route and leaves college after his freshman year.

I stand with you.

So the Flyers give up the lead, show up for about 5 minutes and retake the lead...  and now it's just keep away and clog the neutral zone. C'mon Sabres... they're going into Alamo Death Star Mode. It's time to fly into the superstructure and destroy the main reactor.

:unsure:

So the Flyers give up the lead, show up for about 5 minutes and retake the lead...  and now it's just keep away and clog the neutral zone. C'mon Sabres... they're going into Alamo Death Star Mode. It's time to fly into the superstructure and destroy the main reactor.

This one’s a decoy!

Final World Juniors Stats:

Mittlestadt:  #1 in the tournament in scoring, with 4-7-11 in 7 games.

Nylander:  #20 in the tournament in scoring, with 1-6-7 in 7 games.

IMHO, Casey's showing was quite encouraging, but not Nylander's.  1 goal in 7 games? 

From Cory Pronman

The Good

Casey Mittelstadt, C, Buffalo: My vote for MVP of the tournament and the eventual winner of the award was dynamic from his first shift to his last. Mittelstadt was the driving force of USA’s offense who ended up relying on him more than anticipated. His hands are among the best outside the NHL. He moves the puck well. He skates well. He isn’t small. There’s so much to like about how he plays the game and how consistently he made high-level offensive plays. He’s right there in the discussions for my No. 1 NHL prospect.

The Bad

Sweden’s top forwards at even strength Alexander Nylander, LW, Buffalo – Lias Andersson, C, New York Rangers – Elias Pettersson, RW, Vancouver: Having an insanely good power play disguised one of Sweden's major weaknesses: They were not killing it at even strength, particularly from their star players. Andersson, Nylander and Pettersson recorded seven points each in the tournament. Andersson did the most at even strength, getting five points at 5-on-5; whereas Pettersson and Nylander had two points each. From watching all their shifts, those three did not seem especially dangerous like their draft pedigree and/or talent levels would dictate they should, although Pettersson did score a highlight reel goal at 5-on-5 against Switzerland. That’s not to say they were horrible, they generated some offense, but the consistency wasn’t there in terms of creating chances. I felt like all three had the skill to make plays but never attacked with the speed to create space for their skill. For Andersson and Pettersson, they have skating issues, and for Nylander, he has willing to skate issues.

“I worry if Nylander can play fast,” said an NHL executive. “He seems to like to slow the play down too much and can’t ever push the pace. That works in the OHL, but not in the NHL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.