Sabres Prospects 2017-2018

Doohickie

Mittelstadt is finally getting some usable numbers (high school doesn't count), and while I haven't run the numbers yet (I hope to have time over Christmas), it doesn't look as wonderful as say Elias Pettersson drafted by Vancouver, who is just killing the SHL right now

Did you use his USHL numbers?

Mittelstadt is finally getting some usable numbers (high school doesn't count), and while I haven't run the numbers yet (I hope to have time over Christmas), it doesn't look as wonderful as say Elias Pettersson drafted by Vancouver, who is just killing the SHL right now

Pettersson was a great pick at 5. I think for an 8th overall though, Casey is showing me what I expected. That said, I might leave him at college an extra year or sign him and make him stay all next year in Rochester.

Pettersson was a great pick at 5. I think for an 8th overall though, Casey is showing me what I expected. That said, I might leave him at college an extra year or sign him and make him stay all next year in Rochester.

Him with Nylander and the rest of that core (not sure what other prospects we might be able to add to Rochester next year) need to develop for at least a year in Rochester together. Calling them up this young and as individuals will be a massive mistake

Did you use his USHL numbers?

I find I get much better results using 2 years of data (so this isn't exactly my board), but this is what I had of 17 year olds since Mittelstadt's high school numbers aren't really usable

Suzuki 829

Pettersson 826

Vilardi 788

Andersson 746

Patrick 710

Boquist (SHL) 689

Norris 667

Mittelstadt 645

Yup Pu will be Rochester bound. Could add Pu, Asplund, Mittelstadt, and Oloffson to Rochester plus maybe Casey Fitgerald. That would be a good start.

Borgen (21 in Dec) and Bryson (20) could also be signed to add D depth to Rochester. My guess is Jbot will try to sign Borgen at the college season’s end to avoid another FA situation.

Yup Pu will be Rochester bound. Could add Pu, Asplund, Mittelstadt, and Oloffson to Rochester plus maybe Casey Fitgerald. That would be a good start.

I have high hopes for Pu in Rochester. As any Rochestarian will tell you, their Pu doesn't stink.

Buuuuusst!

Roflcopter.gif

File:Roflcopter.gif

I find I get much better results using 2 years of data (so this isn't exactly my board), but this is what I had of 17 year olds since Mittelstadt's high school numbers aren't really usable

Suzuki 829

Pettersson 826

Vilardi 788

Andersson 746

Patrick 710

Boquist (SHL) 689

Norris 667

Mittelstadt 645

His pro rated numbers in the USHL were/are comparable to Svecthnikov's are they not? 

His pro rated numbers in the USHL were/are comparable to Svecthnikov's are they not? 

Andrei? They're 16 months apart when they each played in the USHL.

Andrei scored about 72 (base 60) that year, Adams is 54, the model may pick up Alger at 57 (I forget where the cuttoff is, Alger played only 20 games), anyway Andrei is the best player on the Lumberjacks by 15 or 18 points. Andrei's on a better team than Mittelstadt, but not by much, and that's sort of arbitrary, since Mittelstadt didn't play the entire season there. Both have NHL bodies. Mittlestadt also scored about 72, and outscored his teammates by more (72-50), so 22 points better.

So they had very similar seasons, but 16 months apart, so not comparable.

Yes, but he was bad in Rochester last year, and he was invisible in the 3-3 this year, and fairly invisible last year's 3-3 (I think he put in a couple penalty shots). My point is that Nylander's 2017 WJC wasn't representative of his play and his supporters are relying on bits of data that are too small.

In my charts I don't use WJC numbers for this reason.

I agree, he didn't look great against the good teams in that WJC.

Do you have a quick guess for how you think Mittelstadt (or even Nylander) project at the NHL level? Early days prediction?

Do you have a quick guess for how you think Mittelstadt (or even Nylander) project at the NHL level? Early days prediction?

I'll try to get something together for Christmas.

It's not something I do well off the top of my head, but for an 8th pick, Mittlestadt's numbers look OK, but not great. Last year was really disappointing for Nylander, I thought the AHL was a really poor choice.

While TM made the choice, I had wonder if his dad or agent had something to do with Nylander going to the AHL.

I seem to remember a worry that he’d return to Sweden if we sent him back to Jrs.

My guess is everyone now realizes, including Nylander, that he’d have been better off back in jrs.

While TM made the choice, I had wonder if his dad or agent had something to do with Nylander going to the AHL.

I seem to remember a worry that he’d return to Sweden if we sent him back to Jrs.

My guess is everyone now realizes, including Nylander, that he’d have been better off back in jrs.

TM probably wanted him in Rochester to more closely monitor the development. In hindsight, Sweden's top league may have been a good option. I don't think junior would have helped.

Why is that necessarily the case?

Maybe surviving the grind of last year set him up to succeed this year?

I don’t have a strong opinion on the above, I just think the jury is still out.

Andrei? They're 16 months apart when they each played in the USHL.

Andrei scored about 72 (base 60) that year, Adams is 54, the model may pick up Alger at 57 (I forget where the cuttoff is, Alger played only 20 games), anyway Andrei is the best player on the Lumberjacks by 15 or 18 points. Andrei's on a better team than Mittelstadt, but not by much, and that's sort of arbitrary, since Mittelstadt didn't play the entire season there. Both have NHL bodies. Mittlestadt also scored about 72, and outscored his teammates by more (72-50), so 22 points better.

So they had very similar seasons, but 16 months apart, so not comparable.

The whole process is arbitrary,

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.