Sabres Prospects 2017-2018

Doohickie

Nylander should no longer be in our discussions regarding the roster in the following seasons. He’s a bust. Book it.

If Nylander is a washout, is he GMTM's biggest mistake?

Nope. Reinhart. Even higher pick.

Both those two aren’t long for it in this league, in my rudimentary estimation.

Then again, there was probably more of a consensus on Sam than Alex, maybe that tips the scales in favour of Nylander being the bigger mistake by a GM. Still, lots of better players went after Sam. Sometimes those guys projected to go at the top fall, and he should have.

Edited by Bjorn Borg

Nope. Reinhart. Even higher pick.

Both those two aren’t long for it in this league, in my rudimentary estimation.

Then again, there was probably more of a consensus on Sam than Alex, maybe that tips the scales in favour of Nylander being the bigger mistake by a GM. Still, lots of better players went after Sam. Sometimes those guys projected to go at the top fall, and he should have.

I'm as much of a Reino critic as anyone, but he did put together 2 respectable seasons (although I think I was more down on his 2nd season than most here) before falling off the table this season.  I don't think he'll ever sniff 30 goals or 60 points, but he'll probably play at least 7 NHL seasons as a full-timer. 

Nylander might never skate a regular shift in the NHL.  That's a bigger bust IMHO.

I'm as much of a Reino critic as anyone, but he did put together 2 respectable seasons (although I think I was more down on his 2nd season than most here) before falling off the table this season.  I don't think he'll ever sniff 30 goals or 60 points, but he'll probably play at least 7 NHL seasons as a full-timer. 

Nylander might never skate a regular shift in the NHL.  That's a bigger bust IMHO.

Fair, but I doubt Reinhart sniffs 40 points again, and 7 seasons is a good over/under with him: and that’s brutal for a 2nd overall.

The narrative to assinate GMTMs tenure is ringing a little vindictive at this point. I get it, some of you don't like him... Now. He wasn't the best but he's better than being depicted.

What aspect of a GM’s job was he good at?

Drafting?

Prospect development?

Roster construction?

Asset management?

Cap management?

FA signings?

Pro player evaluation?

Trade?

Coaching hires?

Communication with players and coaches?

What exactly was he good at? I honestly can’t think of anything.

Everything this kid has ever said or did points to him signing elsewhere.

Trade him now.

The narrative to assinate GMTMs tenure is ringing a little vindictive at this point. I get it, some of you don't like him... Now. He wasn't the best but he's better than being depicted.

I loved Murray’s style and will still defend some of his moves, but the mess we are watching is the mess he made.

Trade him now.

I loved Murray’s style and will still defend some of his moves, but the mess we are watching is the mess he made.

1. I hope you are wrong but... sigh

2 Thought he was an ass, Now Me thinks he was a horses ass.

Edited by Kottbullar

Fair, but I doubt Reinhart sniffs 40 points again, and 7 seasons is a good over/under with him: and that’s brutal for a 2nd overall.

Abso-freakin'-lutely.

Trade him now.

As to Borgen -- eeeeeeessssshhhh.

As to the bolded -- yes.

Drafting?

Prospect development?

Roster construction?

Asset management?

Cap management?

FA signings?

Pro player evaluation?

Trade?

Coaching hires?

That's the only one you can say with certainty he was not good at.

Edited by SwampD

Drafting?

Prospect development?

Roster construction?

Asset management?

Cap management?

FA signings?

Pro player evaluation?

Trade?

Coaching hires?

He was great at being pithy. I liked his no bs demeanor. Oh and he supposedly called Mrs. Pegula a .

Unfortunately for us, the anti-Darcy will probably be remembered for over paying on trades and squandering the stockpile of picks the were accumulated through the tanking/selloff process.

That's the only one you can say with certainty he was not good at.

Really, It’s pretty clear he was bad a roster creation, cap management, asset management, getting fair value in trades and prospect development. He currently has an incomplete on the draft. He makes DR look competent.

He was great at being pithy. I liked his no bs demeanor. Oh and he supposedly called Mrs. Pegula a ######.

Unfortunately for us, the anti-Darcy will probably be remembered for over paying on trades and squandering the stockpile of picks the were accumulated through the tanking/selloff process.

What a legacy!

Article from John Wawrow after he interviewed Botterill

https://apnews.com/3b62a051e62c4964b515481990860698

Botterill laughed when asked how many times he replayed the goal.

“What I was really impressed about that goal was certainly it was a beautiful, beautiful hockey play, but it was the timing of it,” Botterill said. “Here was a scenario where he was trying to give his team a spark in a crucial situation. I think that’s certainly what we need here in Buffalo.”

Ah yes, the Sabres, a team mired in last place in the Eastern Conference standings and in jeopardy of extending its franchise-worst playoff drought to seven seasons. Buffalo has a league-worst 92 goals, scoring one or fewer goals 14 times, including five shutouts.

Botterill thinks it will still be some time before Mittelstadt lines up alongside Buffalo’s current U.S star, Jack Eichel.

Botterill wants Mittelstadt to continue developing at the college level and will wait until Minnesota’s season ends before meeting the player to discuss his future, including the potential of signing an NHL contract.

Mittelstadt said the thought of one day playing in the Sabres’ home arena as an NHLer crossed his mind, though he was more focused on the tournament and then getting back to Minnesota. Two days after the U.S. beat the Czech Republic 9-3 in the bronze-medal game, Mittelstadt was back on the ice for the Golden Gophers in a 2-0 win over top-ranked St. Cloud State.

He did something, unlike Regier who never seem to do anything. Both got it wrong though.

I'm as much of a Reino critic as anyone, but he did put together 2 respectable seasons (although I think I was more down on his 2nd season than most here) before falling off the table this season. I don't think he'll ever sniff 30 goals or 60 points, but he'll probably play at least 7 NHL seasons as a full-timer.

Nylander might never skate a regular shift in the NHL. That's a bigger bust IMHO.

I agree with this analysis.

It's kinda funny how Murray's hallmark (scouting) could prove to be his biggest failure here.

Yeah. This.

Regier actually built two of the best teams in Buffalo history.  He traded for Drury, Briere, Hasek.  Acquired guys like Grier and Teppo.  Drafted Roy, Pommers, Vanek, Kotalik, Max, Campbell, Miller, Kalinin, Sekera, etc......

The problem with Regier was that he failed to keep up with the times and video scouting destroyed his drafting. For some reason, he never drafted and developed centers and when Briere and Drury left, the cupboard was bare.

Regier actually built two of the best teams in Buffalo history. He traded for Drury, Briere, Hasek. Acquired guys like Grier and Teppo. Drafted Roy, Pommers, Vanek, Kotalik, Max, Campbell, Miller, Kalinin, Sekera, etc......

The problem with Regier was that he failed to keep up with the times and video scouting destroyed his drafting. For some reason, he never drafted and developed centers and when Briere and Drury left, the cupboard was bare.

I wouldn't even say the cupboard was bare. Both Connolly and Roy were legitimate #2 centers. Problem was Connolly was broken and that forced Roy to have to be a franchise center, which obviously he couldn't do.

Regier actually built two of the best teams in Buffalo history.  He traded for Drury, Briere, Hasek.  Acquired guys like Grier and Teppo.  Drafted Roy, Pommers, Vanek, Kotalik, Max, Campbell, Miller, Kalinin, Sekera, etc......

He did NOT trade for Hasek.

The moron known as Muckler traded for him & left him exposed in the next expansion draft AND traded a truckload for Fuhr AFTER he had Hasek. Had Fuhr not screwed up his knee, he probably would've traded away the best goalie of all time for a used puck bag & 2 broken sticks. (But in fairness, the puck bag would've had a LOT of pucks & the broken sticks would've both been lefties. A lot of power'd gone into breaking both. ;) )

Yeah I was around for that. He also had the patience of a sloth which imo worked against him. And he somewhat got lucky when the league decided to enforce the rules against clutching and grabbing and he just happened to have a team that excelled in that situation. He had his strengths but it was time for his ouster in my op.

Other the Guhle and Mittelstadt, what other prospects do we have that might enhance the team long term?

Most here are placing Nylander on the bust like. Looks like the RW trio are also headed there.

Frankly every one else is a huge unknown. Aspkund has never played in NA. Pu’s numbers look similar to Baptiste’s. Borgen looks legit, but may not sign here. Davidson and Olofsson may never come over from Europe. Other college kids like Fitzgerald are a crap shoot. Does that leave Smith?

Ugh. That's a horrible list. This rebuild or whatever you want to call it is not going to be very quick. I know it'll take time to develop prospects but I'm hoping we can get a first for Kane. We also need to hit one out of the park this coming draft. Whether it be our likely high first rounder and/or a later pick. Other teams seem to hit on non-first round picks. Why can't we? Guhle looks promising but who's the last one? Other than McCabe it's few and far between the past 6 or 7 years.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.