Sabres Prospects 2017-2018

Doohickie

We always look to the prospect pool, but the truth is, all teams have a cupboard of prospects their fans are intrigued about. We can look to standouts like Mittelstadt, but in reality we don’t have a cavalry coming that other teams can’t match.

It’ll be up to Botterill to find a way to build a team that sets the Sabres apart, by any means he can find.

I have decided I want to see Nylander get a 10 game stretch next season on Eichel's Wing. Okposo has had a mini resurgence there and I would like to see if Nylander gets the same results

I’m beginning to suspect if we start formulating a list compiled of guys who play well when paired with Eichel, the list will grow long indeed.

I want to see who can produce without Eichel.

I have decided I want to see Nylander get a 10 game stretch next season on Eichel's Wing. Okposo has had a mini resurgence there and I would like to see if Nylander gets the same results

If he can't earn his way onto the top line in the AHL, I don't want him anywhere near Jack Eichel.

If he can't earn his way onto the top line in the AHL, I don't want him anywhere near Jack Eichel.

Why not, before I cast away and declare an 8th overall pick a bust I want him to get some time with the Sabres Premier Player. Does he deserve it? Probably not.

I have a sneaking suspicion he will play up to his full potential on Eichel's Wing. Besides the beginning next season will be an experiment with different line combos, Why not give it a shot? If he fails back to Rochester with him.

The Chosen One's Goal

https://twitter.com/fsnorth/status/951985848295157760

Why not, before I cast away and declare an 8th overall pick a bust I want him to get some time with the Sabres Premier Player. Does he deserve it? Probably not.

I have a sneaking suspicion he will play up to his full potential on Eichel's Wing. Besides the beginning next season will be an experiment with different line combos, Why not give it a shot? If he fails back to Rochester with him.

The Chosen One's Goal

https://twitter.com/fsnorth/status/951985848295157760

He's shown nothing against lesser competition to suggest that he'd be effective at all against the best players in the world.  I don't care who his center is.

This is like forcing Sam to center just to prove something he never showed that he could do previously.

He's shown nothing against lesser competition to suggest that he'd be effective at all against the best players in the world.  I don't care who his center is.

This is like forcing Sam to center just to prove something he never showed that he could do previously.

Except for the period of time that made him a consensus 2nd overall pick? like, less than 5 years ago?  :wacko:

Your original speculation turning out to be right (as right as a 20 game sample size can be) as Sam plays in his 3rd NHL season does nothing to rewrite history...

Except for the period of time that made him a consensus 2nd overall pick? like, less than 5 years ago?  :wacko:

Your original speculation turning out to be rigt (as right as a 20 game sample size can be) as Sam plays in his 3rd NHL season does nothing to rewrite history...

The only history I care about is what he showed against NHL talent, which from the very beginning was nothing indicating success as a center.

I haven't seen much of Nylander, but the consensus is he isn't going to difficult areas, and isn't engaging.  If he won't do that against AHL'ers, he's sure not going to have success against NHLers.

in case no one noticed Victor Olofsson scored again to take the goal scoring lead in the SHL with 21 goals. The SHL is the highest ranked league in Sweden. Olofsson, Taken in the 7th round (181st overall) this  guy has great talent and just may be a huge sleeper. Olofsson is a winger with natural goal-scoring instincts. Knows how to find open ice and has a good, hard shot. Skates extremely well and is a decent playmaker, too. His lack of size can be a problem in physical contests. May be one of exGMTM's better draftees...

The only history I care about is what he showed against NHL talent, which from the very beginning was nothing indicating success as a center.

I haven't seen much of Nylander, but the consensus is he isn't going to difficult areas, and isn't engaging.  If he won't do that against AHL'ers, he's sure not going to have success against NHLers.

Yet I watched Nylander play keep away with the puck below the goal line and by the boards and of course he was knocked off the puck a few times last night. The biggest plus he has going for him is his quick release, Jack consistently puts the puck on his wingers stick in position to score, most flub the opportunity or take too long to take the shot. Case in point Brock Boeser has 22 goals this season, on those goals he had the puck on his stick for a total of 23 seconds, Nylander probably could be close to this.

And I’m not worried about Jack, he had Deslauriers as a winger for a while and he is still doing better than fine.

Better yet maybe bring him up at the end of this season and see what happens, it’s a lost season anyways.

As you mentioned Sam in his 20 game stint as a 3rd Line did not show that he was capable of playing the position versus NHL Talent, they may have something to do with the fact that his line mates really belong in the AHL, and Nylander might prove that he never belongs in NHL, the Sabres need to find out though.

I think Brawndo has an excellent point. I hated Semin’s game for the same reason I dislike Nylander’s. Semin scored a lot of goals, but rarely as the guy that drove his line. Nylander might do very well with Jack in the same way Pominville did, because he can complement him in a way others can’t.

It’s similar to the way I think Sam Reinhart’s failure at centre had more to do with the fact he was playing with Seth Griffith than the fact he was playing centre.

Some players can perform in any role, others need to be in a particular role to succeed.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Pretty good article. Thanks.

It reminded me that Connolly was once deemed at least as much of a bust as Reino is — and Connolly’s 2005-06 seasons was one of the great redemption stories inSabres history.

OTOH, Connolly was a joy to watch. Reino’s appeal is a bit more...selective.

(Bonus SabreSpace points for whoever gets that one.)

It reminded me that Connolly was once deemed at least as much of a bust as Reino is — and Connolly’s 2005-06 seasons was one of the great redemption stories inSabres history.

This post goes to 11.

Sorry for this random thought, but every time I see OTOH, I read ETOH, a term in the ER world meaning drunk... at this point it may apply to both the ER and the Sabres if you are following them... just a thought.

Edited by Kottbullar

Other the Guhle and Mittelstadt, what other prospects do we have that might enhance the team long term?

Most here are placing Nylander on the bust like. Looks like the RW trio are also headed there.

Frankly every one else is a huge unknown. Aspkund has never played in NA. Pu’s numbers look similar to Baptiste’s. Borgen looks legit, but may not sign here. Davidson and Olofsson may never come over from Europe. Other college kids like Fitzgerald are a crap shoot. Does that leave Smith?

I like CJ Smith a lot. Hard worker, good speed, offensive creativeness. Reminds me of a Mike Hoffman.

I'm sad Rodrigues is not panning out, I was very high on him and he's got wheels, but he gets blown over by a calm breeze. I think he can still help down the road, but he's not helping Jack or the top lines in any fashion :(

I think the odds are against him, but I think it’s too early to give up on him. He’s only played 48 NHL games so far in his career. He could still be a useful NHLer.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.