Sabres Prospects 2017-2018

Doohickie

It's possible that Minnesota doesn't even get into the field of 16 for the Frozen Four. Last season the Big Ten placed three teams in the 16, the tournament winner and two at large bids. Minnesota was an at large bid last year, but this year are behind Notre Dame, Penn State and Michigan in the standings.

Minnesota plays Notre Dame this weekend, followed by Ohio State and Penn State. The Big Ten Tournament will go a long way to determine their future.

I believe the best plan would be to have him play some games with the Sabres, start him on Eichel's Wing as he won't be ready to play Center in th NHL yet. Then assign him to The Amerks for some playoff games if the rules allow it.

It's possible that Minnesota doesn't even get into the field of 16 for the Frozen Four. Last season the Big Ten placed three teams in the 16, the tournament winner and two at large bids. Minnesota was an at large bid last year, but this year are behind Notre Dame, Penn State and Michigan in the standings.

Minnesota plays Notre Dame this weekend, followed by Ohio State and Penn State. The Big Ten Tournament will go a long way to determine their future.

I believe the best plan would be to have him play some games with the Sabres, start him on Eichel's Wing as he won't be ready to play Center in th NHL yet. Then assign him to The Amerks for some playoff games if the rules allow it.

If memory serves, there is a given date where he has to be on the Amerks roster to qualify for the playoffs, but I can't imagine it would be any big deal to make that happen. (Assuming he agrees to turn pro of course)

If memory serves, there is a given date where he has to be on the Amerks roster to qualify for the playoffs, but I can't imagine it would be any big deal to make that happen. (Assuming he agrees to turn pro of course)

Clear Day rosters were eliminated in 2013 as part of the most recent CBA.  

https://www.si.com/nhl/home-ice/2013/04/02/new-cba-removes-major-ahl-roster-hurdle-from-nhl-trade-deadline-day

Therefore if Mittelstadt is here at the end of the regular season, he can play in the AHL playoffs.  The Big Ten Tourney ends 3/17.  Regionals are 3/23-3/25. The Frozen Four is in St Paul from 4/5 - 4/7.  The Sabres have 4 games in April ending on the 7th.  The Amerks have 6 games in April including 3 from 4/11 to 4/14.  This is great news if we want to get Casey pro experience even if they win the Frozen Four.

https://www.si.com/nhl/home-ice/2013/04/02/new-cba-removes-major-ahl-roster-hurdle-from-nhl-trade-deadline-day

Therefore if Mittelstadt is here at the end of the regular season, he can play in the AHL playoffs. The Big Ten Tourney ends 3/17. Regionals are 3/23-3/25. The Frozen Four is in St Paul from 4/5 - 4/7. The Sabres have 4 games in April ending on the 7th. The Amerks have 6 games in April including 3 from 4/11 to 4/14. This is great news if we want to get Casey pro experience even if they win the Frozen Four.

Good chance Minny doesn't even make the tournament.

Therefore if Mittelstadt is here at the end of the regular season, he can play in the AHL playoffs.  The Big Ten Tourney ends 3/17.  Regionals are 3/23-3/25. The Frozen Four is in St Paul from 4/5 - 4/7.  The Sabres have 4 games in April ending on the 7th.  The Amerks have 6 games in April including 3 from 4/11 to 4/14.  This is great news if we want to get Casey pro experience even if they win the Frozen Four.

Would Mittelstadt playing in the AHL playoffs burn a year of his ELC? Or is that only if he gets NHL time?

Would Mittelstadt playing in the AHL playoffs burn a year of his ELC? Or is that only if he gets NHL time?

My understanding is that it will not.

However, I would imagine a condition of any Middelstadt signing this spring would involve him playing in the NHL immediately to bring him a year closer to free agency - McCabe and Fasching did the same thing.

That is a good question.  How contracts slide or go into effect is really hard to determine.  Most of the time the kids want to get to free agency as soon as possible, so if I where Casey's reps I'd want to lose one year of the ELC if he goes pro.  However that doesn't always work in a players favor.  Take Sam vs Kane.  

Kane's first two years in the NHL on his ELC were good.  He had 26 and then 43 pts.  However he scored 30 in his 3rd season with 27 assists and earned a 5 year 5.25 per season deal.

Reinhart on the other hand had 42 and then 47 pts.  Now in his third season, he is on pace for 28-30 pts.  He isn't going to command a huge contract on his second deal like Kane did.  

Casey, since he has very limited experience since high school might be best playing on a 3 year ELC and developing like Kane did.

That said an ATO for the remainder of 2018 would keep his ELC intact.  However, ATOs are only for emergency situations in the NHL, thus the Sabres can't really sign him to an ATO, but Roch can.  The Bruins did this witrh McAvoy to preserve his ELC. http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/boston-bruins/clarification-on-boston-bruins-charlie-mcavoy-entry-level-contract-burn-vs-ato-options. However, if Mittelstud signs his ELC and plays one game in the NHL we burn the first year of his ELC according to the article.

As I understand it, it's not the issue that GM's care about. They want to keep you under 41 games your first season, then you get to UFA a year later (if you are young enough to make a difference)

As to your question, I don't think Nylander is burning his ELC playing in Rochester, so I think the answer is no.

Randy Sexton was on ESPN Rochester and was asked about Mittelstadt being a one and done, his reply “it’s a bit premature for one and done, but if he continues to progress as rapidly as he has we will have a conversation with him and his family at the end of the year”

Translation:  He is going to be an Amerk at year's end.

Randy Sexton was on ESPN Rochester and was asked about Mittelstadt being a one and done, his reply “it’s a bit premature for one and done, but if he continues to progress as rapidly as he has we will have a conversation with him and his family at the end of the year”

I think he goes back to school... based on his history.

As I understand it, it's not the issue that GM's care about. They want to keep you under 41 games your first season, then you get to UFA a year later (if you are young enough to make a difference)

As to your question, I don't think Nylander is burning his ELC playing in Rochester, so I think the answer is no.

Ya, Nylander’s ELC has now slid the 2 seasons max it is allowed to. If he’s in the AHL next year, it’ll burn a year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.