Housley Named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

I'd like to call first on Housley from a post I put out last November but there was someone else who was on him before that.  I don't remember who though.

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:30 PM

So, any thoughts on who we'd like to have as our next coach?  I respectfully submit Phil Housley.

Housley was advocated on this board well before that (2015).

Edited by Potato

Don't want to be sounding like the guys from GR, but in two interviews, when Housley was asked about the talent on this team he mentioned Moulson and Ennis, but neglected Reinhart and Kane. WTF?

I absolutely loved LOVED his comment about providing structure and then TRUSTING THE PLAYERS TO CREATE within that structure.

Sorry for shouting, but I have a lot of repressed Dan Bylsma anger.

I think the likelihood is fairly high that Reino was discussed in the interview and they are both lukewarm on him and OK with trading him for a good defenseman if available. 

When he mentioned Moulson, I got more of the feeling that he was saying "hell even the meh guys have a track record of some success" because he was in the middle of discussing what he thinks of our roster, but it didn't sound to me like he was actively including moulson in a list of players he thinks will be important moving forward.

Maybe, but I also think it's possible that he knows he's going to have to live with MM and Ennis for the next couple of seasons and wants to buck up their confidence.

You don't think a key question in the interview process for both Botterill and Housley was what they thought they might do with a recent second overall pick? It seems like that would be required reading. And if so, why not bring him up at all in any of the various interviews?

Just seems strange to me. I sure hope both of them, and particularly Botterill, is already well-versed in what Sam can do.

As I mentioned above, it's at least 50/50 that the omission of Reino was intentional and due to Phil and JBott having the same lukewarm opinion of Reino.

Yes, he has no NHL HC experience.  But every great coach at one time had no HC experience.  We shall see.

Good to see ya sir!

I think the mentioning of Moulson and Ennis was a signal to the players that everyone is getting a fresh start. Let's face it all of a sudden two players who could score 20 goals went into the tank with the previous regime?

I think expansion draft aside your Moulsons, Ennis and Bogosian are going to get a new lease on their career playing the way Housley wants them to play. Although I still see the Sabres trying to trade one in the expansion draft whoever is left over will be given a chance to regain their old form.

Whether they can or not is another question.

I think the mentioning of Moulson and Ennis was a signal to the players that everyone is getting a fresh start. Let's face it all of a sudden two players who could score 20 goals went into the tank with the previous regime?

I think expansion draft aside your Moulsons, Ennis and Bogosian are going to get a new lease on their career playing the way Housley wants them to play. Although I still see the Sabres trying to trade one in the expansion draft whoever is left over will be given a chance to regain their old form.

Whether they can or not is another question.

How many here actually feel Ennis or Moulson can "regain old form?" I already know the consensus on Bogo

I'm very excited about Housley. The players in Predators loved him and the way he could coach them as individuals. The way Housley saw the ice as a player gives some hope he can see the game in a different way as a coach too. Also I believe he can help our defenders and especially Ristolainen a lot. We have a young team that will grow and I believe Housley migt be just the right guy to steer us towards a great future.

I think the likelihood is fairly high that Reino was discussed in the interview and they are both lukewarm on him and OK with trading him for a good defenseman if available. 

Maybe, but I also think it's possible that he knows he's going to have to live with MM and Ennis for the next couple of seasons and wants to buck up their confidence.

As I mentioned above, it's at least 50/50 that the omission of Reino was intentional and due to Phil and JBott having the same lukewarm opinion of Reino.

Good to see ya sir!

In agreement here.

Well-played. Maybe we can refer to him as ###### Phil or phalus Phil after that quote.

Not Head Job Howie?  Seems the most fitting...

My uncle had seasons in the 80s, and sat next to a super old school fella who would SCREAM at Housley to hit people (with his purse, if necessary) and just generally hated the Housley style, etc.

It occurs to me: Was Housley's game ahead of its time? Smallish puck movers are the rage now.

He wasn't ahead of his time.  There were plenty of other offensive defense then.. well maybe not plenty but they existed.  It was inevitable that it would be a featured skill set given the NHL tendency towards open style of play (playoffs excluded).

I have to think that because of he mandate to hire only top-notch people with no previous "issues" Tochett was never in the mix cause of his previous "issues". Think Howie was the right call all along and all joking aside, Lindy as a assistant coach would actually be a pretty good move...

I have to think that because of he mandate to hire only top-notch people with no previous "issues" Tochett was never in the mix cause of his previous "issues". Think Howie was the right call all along and all joking aside, Lindy as a assistant coach would actually be a pretty good move...

This plus the nostalgia it offered Terry. He sounded like he was in his 30s again when he described what Head Job Howie play.

Good to see ya sir!

Anyone lukewarm on Reinhart ignores a lot of stats and a lot of game footage that shows Reinhart makes his line mates better.

Anyone lukewarm on Reinhart ignores a lot of stats and a lot of game footage that shows Reinhart makes his line mates better.

This. Plus if Jbots and Phil see Ennis and Moulson as worth resurrecting but don't see any value in Reinhart even though he was largely misused for me thats a miss. I'd be pumpin Sams tires to get him going at this point.

Yes, he has no NHL HC experience. But every great coach at one time had no HC experience. We shall see.

Our last former Sabre defenseman turned first time head coach worked out fairly well. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Phil will either flop or work out.

That's one hell of a risky prediction, I know.

How many here actually feel Ennis or Moulson can "regain old form?" I already know the consensus on Bogo

I have much less faith in these two regaining their old form. Moulson is at a point in his career where players who last transition their game to a different role (see Brian Gionta or David Legwand) and the injuries to Ennis have taken that step out of his game.

If someone put a gun to my head and ask me to choose between the two I'd say, "man, you gotta get your priorities straight. also, Ennis."

A summary for those at work would be appreciated!

Housley is really competitive, wants to win.

Good about talking to players before, during, and after games. 

Told Jake to calm down and play his game before Jake was named Captain of that WJ team. 

Thinks communication is key and Housley has it. 

Housley is really competitive, wants to win.

Good about talking to players before, during, and after games. 

Told Jake to calm down and play his game before Jake was named Captain of that WJ team. 

Thinks communication is key and Housley has it. 

Thanks.

Housley wants to instill passion. I would of been more impressed if he had said he wanted to work towards a winning culture and recapture passion because losing will suck the passion out of anyone... Winning feeds passion.. working hard and failing makes something fun more like work. Guess I'm just tired of cliche crap.. 

I like that he is a good communicator and has lots of experience. He was definitely a good choice but like the Bills I just really want to see the baby, and as always I will begin the new season with optimism

A summary for those at work would be appreciated!

Said he paired up the d well for the tourney.

Guys listen to him, partly because he's a HOF'r

The way he carries himself, with a lot of passion, was easy for the guys to get behind.

Housley wants to instill passion. I would of been more impressed if he had said he wanted to work towards a winning culture and recapture passion because losing will suck the passion out of anyone... Winning feeds passion.. working hard and failing makes something fun more like work. Guess I'm just tired of cliche crap.. 

I like that he is a good communicator and has lots of experience. He was definitely a good choice but like the Bills I just really want to see the baby, and as always I will begin the new season with optimism

He had all those words in his presser and/or radio. Passion, culture, communication, expectations, tough practices, preparation, detail...

If they are luke warm on Reinhart but feel the need to buck up the confidence of Moulson and Ennis then I question their intelligence already, at least compared to everyone who seems to be proclaiming them mensa members during this honeymoon phase. If they plan on moving Reinhart or Kane they should be pumping up their tires rather than the bums that we're hoping Vegas does us a favor and takes as a personal favor.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.