Housley Named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

My uncle had seasons in the 80s, and sat next to a super old school fella who would SCREAM at Housley to hit people (with his purse, if necessary) and just generally hated the Housley style, etc.

It occurs to me: Was Housley's game ahead of its time? Smallish puck movers are the rage now.

Richer appreciated his game. :p

Wimpley always seemed to work in his 1st stint here. Until proven otherwise ...

:ph34r:

Actually, I'm hoping this works out. My concern is the way he excelled offensively at a young age that he won't necessarily be able to translate that to typically talented players. The concern is tempered in that his WJC team did very well.

The off season's been interesting so far for certain.

He also seemed to learn that from coaching 8 years of high school... I think he learned how to coach the right way and his remarks about patience seemed well intended, like he had to learn that lesson the hard way... but he did.

He also seemed to learn that from coaching 8 years of high school... I think he learned how to coach the right way and his remarks about patience seemed well intended, like he had to learn that lesson the hard way... but he did.

Didn't get to hear the interview.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt until shown he doesn't warrant it. Hopefully that's a couple of Stanley Cups away. ;)

Don't want to be sounding like the guys from GR, but in two interviews, when Housley was asked about the talent on this team he mentioned Moulson and Ennis, but neglected Reinhart and Kane. WTF?

This was an obvious way of talking up these 2 jokers in an effort to get McPhee take take one of them. There's zero reason to otherwise single them out. There may already be a trade in place for Kane.

My uncle had seasons in the 80s, and sat next to a super old school fella who would SCREAM at Housley to hit people (with his purse, if necessary) and just generally hated the Housley style, etc.

It occurs to me: Was Housley's game ahead of its time? Smallish puck movers are the rage now.

About 1 in 10 fans screamed that.  My biggest laugh about Housley moment was at a Tux n Pux game.  Girlfriend and I sitting in the lower blues.  An entire row of fans started a chant.  "Phyllis wears a dress".  It got alot of traction. The home crowd was rough on Housley for his innate ability to avoid contact even in his own zone.

This was an obvious way of talking up these 2 jokers in an effort to get McPhee take take one of them. There's zero reason to otherwise single them out. There may already be a trade in place for Kane.

a3af3792ea00eaf83e202541f4c31a22.jpg

I'll admit, I didn't hear the interview so don't know what exact words he chose, but why would Housley talk up 2 players that are surely going to be left unprotected in a few days? It would be an odd thing to say considering what (we believe) is about to happen.

When he mentioned Moulson, I got more of the feeling that he was saying "hell even the meh guys have a track record of some success" because he was in the middle of discussing what he thinks of our roster, but it didn't sound to me like he was actively including moulson in a list of players he thinks will be important moving forward.

When he mentioned Moulson, I got more of the feeling that he was saying "hell even the meh guys have a track record of some success" because he was in the middle of discussing what he thinks of our roster, but it didn't sound to me like he was actively including moulson in a list of players he thinks will be important moving forward.

Once maybe, but twice? He did it again in his interview with WGR.

And still no mention of Reinhart, either way,

Much like Botterill's intro presser, it just struck me as a guy who wasn't intimately familiar with the roster rattling off some names he knew. I doubt he has much of any idea of the intrscacies of what has gone on the past couple years here under Bylsma.

Much like Botterill's intro presser, it just struck me as a guy who wasn't intimately familiar with the roster rattling off some names he knew. I doubt he has much of any idea of the intrscacies of what has gone on the past couple years here under Bylsma.

You don't think a key question in the interview process for both Botterill and Housley was what they thought they might do with a recent second overall pick? It seems like that would be required reading. And if so, why not bring him up at all in any of the various interviews?

Just seems strange to me. I sure hope both of them, and particularly Botterill, is already well-versed in what Sam can do.

You don't think a key question in the interview process for both Botterill and Housley was what they thought they might do with a recent second overall pick? It seems like that would be required reading. And if so, why not bring him up at all in any of the various interviews?

Just seems strange to me. I sure hope both of them, and particularly Botterill, is already well-versed in what Sam can do.

Just because they didn't mention Reinhart by name, doesn't mean they're actively shopping him.    You're reading too much into it.. .Reinhart isn't going anywhere... unless they decided he's overrated and move him for defensive help

Just because they didn't mention Reinhart by name, doesn't mean they're actively shopping him.    You're reading too much into it.. .Reinhart isn't going anywhere... unless they decided he's overrated and move him for defensive help

Maybe so. Doesn't feel that way right now, though.

maybe

So is it House-lee or Howz-Lee? Hearing some different versions.

Howz Howz

So it's Housley.   I'm concerned about his lack of experience as a rookie head coach.    Maybe the hockey will be more fun to watch, which would be nice... but might take some time for him to settle in and get comfortable with such a huge leadership responsibility.

get Ruff as assistant, if he got offers to be an assistant somewhere else, he might as well be on in buffalo again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.