Housley Named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

There will be grumbling when our PP drops to the middle of the pack.

I'm just sayin'....

I've always been a proponent that the PP success is based on the high end talent you have. You either have guys that can enter the zone and put away the puck or you don't. The Sabres PP will be fine.

And for the record, I agree with all four above posts.

My point still stands.

I wouldn't mind if they tried to change things up to give us two solid units instead of one overpowered one, even if the results were a tad bit worse at first. 

Let Eichel, ROR, and Risto stay on unit one (and make ROR take a few more of those one timers...) and bring Sam and Kyle to unit 2, Sam can operate from the half wall, Okie his normal spot, and give Beaulieu the point spot with Antipin doing his wacky top-of-the-slot thing. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

I wouldn't mind if they tried to change things up to give us two solid units instead of one overpowered one, even if the results were a tad bit worse at first. 

Let Eichel, ROR, and Risto stay on unit one (and make ROR take a few more of those one timers...) and bring Sam and Kyle to unit 2, Sam can operate from the half wall, Okie his normal spot, and give Beaulieu the point spot with Antipin doing his wacky top-of-the-slot thing.

I am usually of the "if it ain't broke" team, but I like this.

Moulson can easily slide into Sam's role on line one. Not sure who takes Okposo's slot though, or who is on unit two.

Kane and Ennis are the obvious candidates for two slots.

Of course we also aren't sure who will be around.

I am usually of the "if it ain't broke" team, but I like this.

Moulson can easily slide into Sam's role on line one. Not sure who takes Okposo's slot though, or who is on unit two.

Kane and Ennis are the obvious candidates for two slots.

Of course we also aren't sure who will be around.

Yep. And I'll point out that while early Kane on the power play was a bad idea, he scored 3 or more goals there at the tail end of the season at clutch times to help keep Jack's point streak/chase for point per game alive. 

It is most likely true that topping the 24.5% of scoring while on the power play will not happen, but having more opportunities resulting in more power play goals is very obtainable. See the Penguins.

I also think under Blysma our top players where only allowed to use their skill set to the fullest on the man advantage, it's when they got to *do their thing*. I hope that does not change under new coaching, and their emphasis is on zone entries.

Edited by Woods-Racer

• 1 month later...

A preliminary look at the difference between DD and Housley's Systems.

http://www.between-cuts.com/single-post/2017/07/20/Blue-line-past-Blue-line-future

Quote: "On average an NHL team is twice as likely to generate a shot attempt with a carry-in vs. a dump in, so allowing a team to freely enter the zone instantly lowers your odds of preventing a shot attempt against."

This is making me so angry at Disco all over again...

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it's because it's been quiet, or maybe 'because Buffalo', but lately I feel like this might become a let down. Housley has no NHL HC experience and I've felt like he would be the D whisperer. There's no guarantee that he's going to improve the forwards or the defense. Remember that he was just an assistant and could have been in the right system with the right talent and that next year can be a total dumpster fire as well. I wanna believe and I've been excited all summer, but this nagging doubt is really creeping in.

Maybe it's because it's been quiet, or maybe 'because Buffalo', but lately I feel like this might become a let down. Housley has no NHL HC experience and I've felt like he would be the D whisperer. There's no guarantee that he's going to improve the forwards or the defense. Remember that he was just an assistant and could have been in the right system with the right talent and that next year can be a total dumpster fire as well. I wanna believe and I've been excited all summer, but this nagging doubt is really creeping in.

I think I would be more worried if Botterill hadn't done a search and seemed like an idiot. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.