Housley Named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

I think I would be more worried if Botterill hadn't done a search and seemed like an idiot. 

Agreed. He did his homework on this. It seems Pegula did a good job with both GM and HC searches this time around

Edited by WildCard

Maybe it's because it's been quiet, or maybe 'because Buffalo', but lately I feel like this might become a let down. Housley has no NHL HC experience and I've felt like he would be the D whisperer. There's no guarantee that he's going to improve the forwards or the defense. Remember that he was just an assistant and could have been in the right system with the right talent and that next year can be a total dumpster fire as well. I wanna believe and I've been excited all summer, but this nagging doubt is really creeping in.

This could be the case, but the point to consider is that in NHL circles both Botterill and Housley were considered some of the strongest "new blood" to assume GM and HC positions.  The Sabres did not reach for these hires.

Maybe it's because it's been quiet, or maybe 'because Buffalo', but lately I feel like this might become a let down. Housley has no NHL HC experience and I've felt like he would be the D whisperer. There's no guarantee that he's going to improve the forwards or the defense. Remember that he was just an assistant and could have been in the right system with the right talent and that next year can be a total dumpster fire as well. I wanna believe and I've been excited all summer, but this nagging doubt is really creeping in.

You can only be let down if you have high expectations. I can thank two decades of Buffalo futility to temper my expectations to near zero. My brain tells me they should be better now that they are out from under Dan Abysmal but my learnings have taught me to know better.

You can only be let down if you have high expectations. I can thank two decades of Buffalo futility to temper my expectations to near zero. My brain tells me they should be better now that they are out from under Dan Abysmal but my learnings have taught me to know better.

Yes.  This is the "Because Buffalo" condition.  It's been more than 10 years since the Sabres were any good, and 20 years since the BIlls were.  And even when they were, they still haven't captured a major sports championship since the Bills won the AFL in 1965, a year prior to the Super Bowl I.  (And then, the AFL wasn't considered the equal of the NFL.)

Why does every topic here eventually seem to take a turn for the depressing and discouraging zone?  And that's an observation, not a criticism, BTW.   I'm certainly no Little Mary Sunshine when it comes to my posts either. 

Why?  Because Buffalo?  

You answered your own question.

I answer it with every post:  Look at the first line of my signature.

Also, I call myself a pathetic fan of Buffalo sports, but I haven't lived in Buffalo since the early '80s.  In fact, I stopped following Buffalo sports entirely for about 10 years (didn't have cable, pre-internet).  Even though I've lived in different markets, I still, by choice, identify as a Buffalo sports fan.  It's my hometown, and it connects me to fond memories of War Memorial Stadium, War Memorial Auditorium, and Rich Stadium.

Depressing?  Discouraging?  Yeah, I guess so.

But also:  Ever Hopeful.

Go Sabres!  Go Bills!

We've undoubtedly been through a lot as a fan base.  "Because Buffalo" is over.  Our young stars career can't be contained.  Eichel will make his teammates better, he'll take care of bad coaches for us and he'll be the reason this team wins.  I respect the knowledge at sabrespace and even if you want to stay reserved in your excitement - I don't blame you and I'm not mad at ya.  However, this team is going to be good and you know and see it.  We'll be a perennial force in the NHL very very soon.

We've undoubtedly been through a lot as a fan base. "Because Buffalo" is over. Our young stars career can't be contained. Eichel will make his teammates better, he'll take care of bad coaches for us and he'll be the reason this team wins. I respect the knowledge at sabrespace and even if you want to stay reserved in your excitement - I don't blame you and I'm not mad at ya. However, this team is going to be good and you know and see it. We'll be a perennial force in the NHL very very soon.

I agree. With Jack there should be nothing but excitement. We have our young superstar and now need to take the next step.

We need to remember though that getting that Franchise Centre doesn't guarantee anything. Just ask Islanders fans.

We've got much more than that and even more coming.  We have a GM that at his core is about development.  Is Housley the type of coach to lead to the cup?  Not sure, but it's pretty well documented he's a teacher - which is exactly what's needed right now.  You'd almost have to do it on purpose to stop this team from being really good.

A friend told me once and I quote " The secret to happiness is low expectations"  C. Lally

A friend told me once and I quote " The secret to happiness is low expectations"  C. Lally

Stated another way: if you only ever expect the worst, you will only ever be pleasantly surprised.

That having been said I can't help but see my expectations rise as the season nears. We won't see the '86 Oilers out there, but we will also not see the '16 Sabres. Literally anything in between the two is fine. (I would also take the '86 Oilers if I have to)

I had low expectations, but with the additions made to our D along with a new system I'm turning into an optimist again.

Just waiting to be crushed by the end of Octobre.  :P

I wouldn't read to much into October. October is going to be a wash. Sure they could come out on fire but realistically they will take at least til November to find their legs in the new system. The one difference could be 20 year old healthy Eichel versus 18 year old healthy Eichel to start a season. 

Basically I am saying I would wait til the end of November or December before being crushed because this team has a lot to learn.

Better be in a playoff spot by Thanksgiving:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/stats-favor-nhl-teams-playoff-spot-thanksgiving

A quick start will be crucial this season. Playoffs or bust!

Sorry Thorny, nothing against you but these kind of stats drive me insane. They basically amount to 'Good teams win; good teams win early; good teams make the playoffs'

Sorry Thorny, nothing against you but these kind of stats drive me insane. They basically amount to 'Good teams win; good teams win early; good teams make the playoffs'

Well, ya, that's my point. We better be a good team in October and November, or there likely isn't some magical turn around. We can't afford a slow start.

@JeremyWGR

Interesting note from Robin Lehner in speaking with @pham1717… made clear he had no problem with the defensemen, but the way they played.

@JeremyWGR

The way Lehner said it, the emphasis, sounds to me that he’s another one that’s very happy about the coaching change.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.