Housley Named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

@JeremyWGR

Interesting note from Robin Lehner in speaking with @pham1717… made clear he had no problem with the defensemen, but the way they played.

@JeremyWGR

The way Lehner said it, the emphasis, sounds to me that he’s another one that’s very happy about the coaching change.

That is an interesting note, especially with him fussing about players doing their own thing and not following the system.

Plus, our defenseman this coming year will be attacking. I'm not sure, but is that really a thing goalies want? I suppose an opposing team can't score a goal when the puck's in their zone.

I listened to Lehner's Interview and he sounded upset that the forwards did not play defense. He specifically mentioned last season's playoff teams were all five guys would come back into the defensive zone and play D.

Something we bitched about here to no end. Our forwards provided zero puck support.

So is Lehner being an asshat or a leader here?

These things always confuse me.

Sounds like appropriate leadership to me. Supported the coach he had at the time even though he didn't like the system. That is what a real pro does in any profession.

• 3 weeks later...

"We wanna be fast and aggressive."

God, I hope he can make it work.

OTOH, there's only so much a team can do against the 1-3-1, or even the 1-4, or whatever -- McDavid recently said as much.

At a minimum, at least we're not hearing about the need to get the opposing D to turn around and then win battles on "small ice." Christ -- Dreary Dan and FGMTM were really of a mind on that, weren't they?

"We wanna be fast and aggressive."

God, I hope he can make it work.

OTOH, there's only so much a team can do against the 1-3-1, or even the 1-4, or whatever -- McDavid recently said as much.

At a minimum, at least we're not hearing about the need to get the opposing D to turn around and then win battles on "small ice." Christ -- Dreary Dan and FGMTM were really of a mind on that, weren't they?

I'm almost positive DD said that quote as well, literally word for word

But DD was a once-fired, self-proclaimed head coaching savant who only won a Cup because he inherited a stacked team (that he subsequently drove into the ground).

Housley is a pretty universally acclaimed up-and-comer.

fair point.

the difference being: we now know what that wound up translating into for Bylsma.

with housley, there is hope that it means what he says.

additionally, bylsma's pronouncements were also accompanied with his talk of chip and chase and small ice.

fair point.

the difference being: we now know what that wound up translating into for Bylsma.

with housley, there is hope that it means what he says.

additionally, bylsma's pronouncements were also accompanied with his talk of chip and chase and small ice.

Every team in the NHL wants to play that way.

Have you ever heard a coach say... "We want to play a slow and passive game, lulling them to sleep so we can sneak a few pucks by them".

Can Housley get everyone to buy in?   Will Kane cover for a rushing Risto?   What about Eichel, do you see him hanging back so McCabe can spend some time below the goal line?    I don't know.

Every team in the NHL wants to play that way.

Have you ever heard a coach say... "We want to play a slow and passive game, lulling them to sleep so we can sneak a few pucks by them".

Can Housley get everyone to buy in?   Will Kane cover for a rushing Risto?   What about Eichel, do you see him hanging back so McCabe can spend some time below the goal line?    I don't know.

Not true. Our former coach talked about limiting chances and dumping the puck in and retreiving it. He almost never said he wanted to attack as a unit and keep the pressure up. 

I will agree, all coaches talk about taking away time and space. Bylsma system did not do that. He actively gave up the blueline and Nashville's defense we know did not. 

Not true. Our former coach talked about limiting chances and dumping the puck in and retreiving it. He almost never said he wanted to attack as a unit and keep the pressure up. 

I will agree, all coaches talk about taking away time and space. Bylsma system did not do that. He actively gave up the blueline and Nashville's defense we know did not.

Nothing pissed me off more hearing Blysma speak to the media game in and game out talking about how much more talented the other team was and how they needed to be contained. The vibe he gave off in pre-game interviews sounded timid and scared and just reeked of a loser mentality. Ugh, good riddance.

Nothing pissed me off more hearing Blysma speak to the media game in and game out talking about how much more talented the other team was and how they needed to be contained. The vibe he gave off in pre-game interviews sounded timid and scared and just reeked of a loser mentality. Ugh, good riddance.

Seriously. A team with Eichel, O'Reilly, Risto, Okposo, Kane, and Reinhart has to worry about stopping the other team instead of SCORING GOALS.

Bylsma absolutely talked about pressuring opponents, pushing the pace of play, and attacking. We literally drooled over it, coming out of the tank. 

All coaches sound good when they're hired, otherwise they wouldn't have been hired.

"That said, I absolutely love the style of play he's preaching: fast, aggressive, pressure. It's everything I've ever wanted from an aesthetic perspective."

This was TrueBlueGED a month into Bylsma's first season as Sabres coach. 

And that's not to pick on True. We all said stuff like that, but that's the quote I saw right away and that's exactly what's going on here. Either our optimism is right or we look back and say "OMG Phil was horrible. his strategy was never going to work, this new guy though, he's going to be so much better".

This is why he was my top choice.

This system is going to look an awful like one that we're familiar with and that I loved.  I hope the G can stand up to it.

G = goalie?

And, yes. I think there's a chance the Sabres have to endure some growing pains. I just hope they stick with it and see it through, rather than retreat to being a passive lackluster team.

G = goalie?

And, yes. I think there's a chance the Sabres have to endure some growing pains. I just hope they stick with it and see it through, rather than retreat to being a passive lackluster team.

Yeah G is goaltendinng in general, because I don't think Lehner is going to play all 82.

Bylsma absolutely talked about pressuring opponents, pushing the pace of play, and attacking. We literally drooled over it, coming out of the tank. 

All coaches sound good when they're hired, otherwise they wouldn't have been hired.

"That said, I absolutely love the style of play he's preaching: fast, aggressive, pressure. It's everything I've ever wanted from an aesthetic perspective."

This was TrueBlueGED a month into Bylsma's first season as Sabres coach. 

And that's not to pick on True. We all said stuff like that, but that's the quote I saw right away and that's exactly what's going on here. Either our optimism is right or we look back and say "OMG Phil was horrible. his strategy was never going to work, this new guy though, he's going to be so much better".

Actions do indeed speak louder than words. Sure, DDB said that but did he do that? No. He did not and that's why we hate them.

HCPH has the benefit of the doubt. He's saying that so we should take his word for it. If in 6 months the on ice product does not reflect that we can then take out the pitchforks, hell, we don't even have to sharpen them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.