Expansion draft and league-wide wheeling and dealing

Brawndo

I think the idea is that even the lowest return on a desirable D or goalie (in a bidding war) is still better than taking a forward that you really don't want. 

And beyond that, he more than likely has already had very active discussions with teams about specific guys who are available.  There will be no game of chicken here when it comes to the need to move someone.

As for the draft itself, I'm amazed that even one team would give up a first round pick, let alone multiple teams.  I could understand something in the late 20s, but that Islander pick is much earlier.

Do you have $500 million sitting in your account?

Exactly.

And beyond that, he more than likely has already had very active discussions with teams about specific guys who are available. There will be no game of chicken here when it comes to the need to move someone.

As for the draft itself, I'm amazed that even one team would give up a first round pick, let alone multiple teams. I could understand something in the late 20s, but that Islander pick is much earlier.

Yes but Garth is dumb

As for the draft itself, I'm amazed that even one team would give up a first round pick, let alone multiple teams.  I could understand something in the late 20s, but that Islander pick is much earlier.

It'll be interesting to find out what it protects. If he manages to keep Bailey, Nelson and De Haan it might be worth it. 

And beyond that, he more than likely has already had very active discussions with teams about specific guys who are available.  There will be no game of chicken here when it comes to the need to move someone.

I think the tune will be different in a few years when the Mexico City Matadores de Hielo are coming into the league and our protection list starts with Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Nylander, Okposo, Kane, some FNG, Risto, McCabe, D FNG, etc. and we're looking at losing real players. Buffalo lucked out that we had a bunch of bad contracts and players that aren't eligible to draft this time.

I think the tune will be different in a few years when the Mexico City Matadores de Hielo are coming into the league and our protection list starts with Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Nylander, Okposo, Kane, some FNG, Risto, McCabe, D FNG, etc. and we're looking at losing real players. Buffalo lucked out that we had a bunch of bad contracts and players that aren't eligible to draft this time.

Come on! Trump won't let the NHL expand into Mexico, they'll have to go to China duh.

Anybody know what the format of the "reveal" will be? Vegas has to make their picks at 10:00am and they aren't released until 8:00pm, so I'm assuming there will be leaks. But I'm curious how the league will display picks.. as a group, or as a team-by-team reveal...

Anybody know what the format of the "reveal" will be? Vegas has to make their picks at 10:00am and they aren't released until 8:00pm, so I'm assuming there will be leaks. But I'm curious how the league will display picks.. as a group, or as a team-by-team reveal...

Would expect it to be team by team followed by trades / considerations, but that's just a guess.

Interspersed with the awards. A few players at a time. Some of the players (the one's they're going to keep) will be in attendance. I'll be scouring the strip for two overpriced Sabres tomorrow.

Per Le Brun

My understanding is that VGK have secured via trades about 10 draft picks spread out over 3 years. So far anyway.

Plus there are deals for players and three-way trades VGK also involved in. Some revealed tonight. Others tomorrow.

Per the protection rules, there's a wealth of veterans that aren't protected.

It makes sense for McPhee to parlay some of that into the future.

Why try to make a squad good year one when you can make a serious stab at making it good years 3-9 at a fraction of the payroll?

Plus, draft picks are more fluid in the trade market, so he could always cash those back in for year one/two talent.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

This is fun. We should obliterate a roster every five years, just to do this again. (Not necessarily revoke or add a franchise, and do the ol' threaten-to-move-vs-new-arena repeat, but just remove a full roster. Owners could bid to do it. It'd be such an ego/power trip for them they couldn't resist.) Instead of a rebuild, they could opt for the Ctrl+Alt+Del hard reboot.

Having diagrammed the deconstruction/tank trades and followed their various pieces...  that was minuscule in comparison to what McPhee could unleash. I want to see how many assets he can get. But I will not be tracking.

Edited by DarthEbriate

This is fun. We should obliterate a roster every five years, just to do this again. (Not necessarily revoke or add a franchise, and do the ol' threaten-to-move-vs-new-arena repeat, but just remove a full roster. Owners could bid to do it. It'd be such an ego/power trip for them they couldn't resist.) Instead of a rebuild, they could opt for the Ctrl+Alt+Del hard reboot.

Having diagrammed the deconstruction/tank trades and followed their various pieces...  that was minuscule in comparison to what McPhee could unleash. I want to see how many assets he can get. But I will not be tracking.

Now that's an interesting idea...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.