Expansion draft and league-wide wheeling and dealing

Brawndo

What's the over/under on players that LV take in the expansion draft and then trade this summer before the season begins? Looks like there will be a lot of guys the other 30 teams would want, and we know LV wants draft picks. If I'm them, I'm taking as many good, young, cap-friendly guys I can and then flipping them for draft picks and enough bad contracts to get to the cap floor.

This is precisely what I would do, and what I expect Vegas to do.

Available goalies

Bos: Subban

Buf: Ullmark

Clg: Elliott

Col; Pickard

Cbs: Korpisalo

Det: Mrazek

LA: Campbell

NYR: Raanta

Ott: Hammond

Pit: Fleury

Tor: Sparks

Wash: Grubauer

Wpg: Hutchinson

Anyone taking Ullmark over Grubauer, Raanta, Fleury, Pickard, and Mrazek?   If I'm LV I take Fleury to start, Grubauer to back him up, Subban for the minors and then take Raanta and or Pickard to trade.

Edited by GASabresFan

I don't know if anyone else say this, but NHL Networks thinks these will be the top 5 exposed players

1) Fleury

2) Vatanen

3) Ryan Strome (this would be huge surprise)

4) Cammalleri

5) Kruger

https://www.nhl.com/video/nhl-now-potential-vegas-players/t-282785066/c-52245503

I would take Brock Nelson over Strome any day.

Available goalies

Bos: Subban

Buf: Ullmark

Clg: Elliott

Col; Pickard

Cbs: Korpisalo

Det: Mrazek

LA: Campbell

NYR: Raanta

Ott: Hammond

Pit: Fleury

Tor: Sparks

Wash: Grubauer

Wpg: Hutchinson

Anyone taking Ullmark over Grubauer, Raanta, Fleury, Pickard, and Mrazek?   

If I'm Vegas I'm taking Mrazek, Grubauer and Pickard. 

Forwards available 

Ana: Eaves

AZ: Pulkkinen & McBain

Bos; Beleskey and Hayes 

Buf: Carrier

Clg: Brouwer

Car: Stempniak

Chi: Kruger

Col: Grigorenko, Colborne

Cbs: Gagner

Dal: Eakin

Det: Sheahan

Edm: Pouliot

Fla: Marchessault

LA: Brown, Gaborik, Shore

Min: Staal

Mon; Plekanec

Nsh: Aberg, Neal, Sissons, C Smith, Wilson

NJ: Josefson, Bennett & Cammalleri

NYI: Bailey, Strome, Nelson, 

NYR: Grabner, Glass

Ott: Stallberg, Ryan and Burrows

Phl: Raffl

Pit: Bonino, Rust, Hagelin

SJ: Boedker

Stl: Perron, Yakupov, Lehtera, Jaskin, Rattie

TB: Brown?

Tor: Rychel

Wsh: Connolly, 

Wpg: Dano, Howden

Edited by GASabresFan

Ladies and gentlemen, your "Knights Wielding Ex-Swords -- mostly in Heavily Plate-Armoured Slow-Moving mode" roster! I had to double up on a couple teams since others didn't have any Sabres available. (Caveat: there's so much movement, 'most any team in the league could also field a LV roster, but what's amazing is how many of our guys were on the team within that amazing 3-year span - pretty much everyone except Campbell and Butler.) Moulson is our pick because he left us and returned.

Forwards (15)

ANH - Corey Tropp (F); BOS - Tim Schaller (F), Drew Stafford (F); BUF - Matt Moulson (F); COL - Mikhail Grigorenko (F); CBJ - Zac Dalpe (F); FLA - Thomas Vanek (F); MIN - Chris Stewart (F); MTL - Brian Flynn (F), Torrey Mitchell (F); NYI - Steve Bernier (F); NYR - Daniel Catenacci (F); OTT - Phil Varone (F); PIT - Kevin Porter (F); TB - Cory Conacher (F)

Defense (10)

ARZ - Jamie McBain (D); CGY - Michael Kostka (D); CHI - Brian Campbell (D); LA - Brayden McNabb (D); MIN - Mike Weber (D); NSH - Adam Pardy (D); PHI - TJ Brennan (D); PIT - Chad Ruhwedel (D); STL - Chris Butler (D); VAN - Alex Biega (D)

Goalies (5)

ANH - Jhonas Enroth (G), Matt Hackett (G); NYI - Jaroslav Halak (G); PHI - Michal Neuvirth (G); VAN - Ryan Miller (G)

Edited by DarthEbriate

I can see you're not going to elaborate...

Here's why they take him:  He's a reliable veteran backstop that will allow younger guys in front of him to develop some confidence.

I think Fluery is a better fit short term, not long term. There are young quality goalies to choose from, that's what I would want. 

Ladies and gentlemen, your "Knights Wielding Ex-Swords -- mostly in Heavily Plate-Armoured Slow-Moving mode" roster! I had to double up on a couple teams since others didn't have any Sabres available. (Caveat: there's so much movement, 'most any team in the league could also field a LV roster, but what's amazing is how many of our guys were on the team within that amazing 3-year span - pretty much everyone except Campbell and Butler.) Moulson is our pick because he left us and returned.

Forwards (15)

ANH - Corey Tropp (F); BOS - Tim Schaller (F), Drew Stafford (F); BUF - Matt Moulson (F); COL - Mikhail Grigorenko (F); CBJ - Zac Dalpe (F); FLA - Thomas Vanek (F); MIN - Chris Stewart (F); MTL - Brian Flynn (F), Torrey Mitchell (F); NYI - Steve Bernier (F); NYR - Daniel Catenacci (F); OTT - Phil Varone (F); PIT - Kevin Porter (F); TB - Cory Conacher (F)

Defense (10)

ARZ - Jamie McBain (D); CGY - Michael Kostka (D); CHI - Brian Campbell (D); LA - Brayden McNabb (D); MIN - Mike Weber (D); NSH - Adam Pardy (D); PHI - TJ Brennan (D); PIT - Chad Ruhwedel (D); STL - Chris Butler (D); VAN - Alex Biega (D)

Goalies (5)

ANH - Jhonas Enroth (G), Matt Hackett (G); NYI - Jaroslav Halak (G); PHI - Michal Neuvirth (G); VAN - Ryan Miller (G)

Awesome.  Just a couple of changes - MacArthur (Ott) at forward instead of Porter, Leighton (AZ) in G instead of Hackett (this adds another team), Steve Ott (Mon) in for Flynn or Mitchell.

None of these lists mean a lot unless you know the side deals. The Islanders, for example, protected 5 defenseman and one of them wasn't DeHaan. Likely reason he is part of trade to Vegas. Don't be surprised if they then flip him..

Dreger is reporting they also are trading a 1st round pick to Vegas to lay off the exposed forwards.

They may lose DeHaan and a first, ouch

A little late to the party here... Drouin is going to be a star in the NHL. Potential to finish in the top 20 in points in the next couple years. That contract is going to prove to be a steal. While his attitude appears to need some work, appears to be a great deal for both teams, with MTL getting the slight edge. Sergachev is damn good too though.

None of these lists mean a lot unless you know the side deals. The Islanders, for example, protected 5 defenseman and one of them wasn't DeHaan. Likely reason he is part of trade to Vegas. Don't be surprised if they then flip him..

Are you trying to turn me on? Rrrr...

Yeah this isn't at all like… You can't talk to them until they become a UFA. These GM's have been talking for a long time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.