Expansion draft and league-wide wheeling and dealing

Brawndo

My understanding, as part of Ducks/Knights expected trade, is Vatanen will end up in Vegas. Other parameters to deal, but that's main part.

5minutes left before the freeze

giphy.gif

Minn. not making a trade by 3pm. They are holding so must either have a deal with Vegas or will need to make one. 

@DarrenDreger

Doesn't sound like there is progress being made as Nashville tries to encourage Vegas from locking on to a player the Preds want to keep.

@FriedgeHNIC
Word is Tobias Enstrom has done WIN a huge favour, agreed to waive his NMC to help the Jets with the expansion draft.

@FriedgeHNIC
Because of protection issues, word is FLA's Jonathan Marchessault is potentially available. 30 goals, great contract.

Nashville is going to lose a good player. Looking at the expansion tool and I'm guessing Nashville keeps their top-4 D... Maybe Sissons?

LV can take Enstrom now. That'd be a really solid pickup.

Las Vegas is in such a good position now, they can just pick up Vatanen, Brodin, Ryan Murray, Pysyk, methot, harmonic, enstrom and start with a better D than ours  :blink:

I'd be OK with that blueline if I were an expansion team. And not a bad contract in the bunch -- Enstrom is a tiny bit high, but only a year remaining -- a great midseason trade option. Plus adding a #4 like Makar/Heiskanen if I was going defense-first mentality.

Neither Vatanen nor Brodin moved today, meaning there have got to be some nice trades in place so that their teams get something in return. If you're Anaheim's or MN's GM and you lose them for nothing, after having months to plan, then you're a horrible manager of contracts.

I'd be OK with that blueline if I were an expansion team. And not a bad contract in the bunch -- Enstrom is a tiny bit high, but only a year remaining -- a great midseason trade option. Plus adding a #4 like Makar/Heiskanen if I was going defense-first mentality.

Neither Vatanen nor Brodin moved today, meaning there have got to be some nice trades in place so that their teams get something in return. If you're Anaheim's or MN's GM and you lose them for nothing, after having months to plan, then you're a horrible manager of contracts.

rumor is that Vegas has at least 3 additional 1st round picks to protect players for teams that can't protect all of them.

rumor is that Vegas has at least 3 additional 1st round picks to protect players for teams that can't protect all of them.

Yup, that's what I'd expect.

<finger steepling> Excellent...  This could bode well for us to lose a bad contract. If they're getting a backup/lesser quality player + a 1st from Team X -- then they're more likely to get a bad contract and a starter from some of the other teams with whom they might not have deals. They won't have trouble getting to the cap floor -- just ask Andrej Meszaros -- but if they can't take Vatanen/Brodin etc., then Bogosian and the money is much more enticing.

Chris Johnson retweeted this so I assume it is right

Eric Francis‏ @EricFrancis  5m5 minutes ago

More

Confirming Calgary's protected list: Gaudreau, Monahan, Ferland, Backlund, Frolik, Bennett, Lazar, Giordano, Brodie, Hamilton, Smith.

Why does Bennett have to be protected? Wouldn't he be exempt? Same draft year as Reinhart.

Chad Johnson is going to Arizona as part of that Mike Smith deal. 

Elliotte FriedmanVerified account @FriedgeHNIC  1m1 minute ago

More

Full Mike Smith deal is for Chad Johnson, Brandon Hickey and a third that becomes a second if CGY makes playoff. ARIZ retains 25% of salary.

Arizona's gonna have to load up on a few more retired but not technically retired players to hit the cap floor again this year. But hey, the NHL is committed to making it work in the desert. Even if the team itself doesn't seem to be.

Arizona's gonna have to load up on a few more retired but not technically retired players to hit the cap floor again this year. But hey, the NHL is committed to making it work in the desert. Even if the team itself doesn't seem to be.

Cough....Moulson or Bogosian!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.