Expansion draft and league-wide wheeling and dealing

Brawndo

Every time I see a photo of McPhee on a sportscast he has a shite eating grin on his face a la Dr. Evil minus the pinky to the mouth. What a glorious time to be an expansion G.M.

It's what $500 Million gets you.

$420 Million more than the last expansion teams paid. No surprise Vegas is getting the red carpet treatment.

In the meantime, the rest of the league is being held to ransom, the league in general is (even further) unbalanced, and I'm being told I should care about Will Carrier. Hopefully Seattle is required to pay eleventy-billion dollars so that Bettman is forced to award them Gretzky Lemieux Howe Orr Richard (all three) and Plante clones and/or robots to justify the expenditure. And we'll still have ads on the jerseys.

People y'all need to relax about this expansion draft.  For the most part, teams ahead of us in the standing are either losing a good player or are losing future assets to keep the current squad together.  This is great news for us.  All we are going to lose are possibly overpaid vets we don't want or need or a backup goalie or a ham handed LW prospect.  Sure Vegas may get a decent initial club out of expansion.  Great!  They play out West and for $500 mill and in a new market they should get a decent club to help the survive and prosper. 

In addition, maybe just maybe Jbot will be able to use this environment to further improve this team in addition to Baloo.  

Ask yourself a serious question.  If Jbot had traded Carrier and a 3rd for Baloo, a 24 yr old former 1st rd pick who can play top 4 minutes and help QB the 2nd PP, in a normal off-season would you have really been to upset?  

Now that's an interesting idea...

Just think of a future GM saying: "Well, my team stinks. I've fired my GM. I've fired multiple coaches. My farm system is blasé. I'm irrelevant to the league. These are in no way reflections on my irrepressible leadership and ownership capabilities! Looking at what McPhee did back in ol' 2017... I can be that powerful, too!" Now consider 5-6 GMs thinking this at any one time.

Ladies and gentlemen, we'll start the reboot bid at $100M direct into the league Shield and the other owners' pockets. (Knowing full well you can recoup the losses the next time the league reboots a team... and it'll be someone else paying.) They shouldn't do this, but it would be fun.

Just think of a future GM saying: "Well, my team stinks. I've fired my GM. I've fired multiple coaches. My farm system is blasé. I'm irrelevant to the league. These are in no way reflections on my irrepressible leadership and ownership capabilities! Looking at what McPhee did back in ol' 2017... I can be that powerful, too!" Now consider 5-6 GMs thinking this at any one time.

Ladies and gentlemen, we'll start the reboot bid at $100M direct into the league Shield and the other owners' pockets. (Knowing full well you can recoup the losses the next time the league reboots a team... and it'll be someone else paying.) They shouldn't do this, but it would be fun.

It's unhinged and I like it. 

People y'all need to relax about this expansion draft.  For the most part, teams ahead of us in the standing are either losing a good player or are losing future assets to keep the current squad together.  This is great news for us.  All we are going to lose are possibly overpaid vets we don't want or need or a backup goalie or a ham handed LW prospect.  Sure Vegas may get a decent initial club out of expansion.  Great!  They play out West and for $500 mill and in a new market they should get a decent club to help the survive and prosper. 

In addition, maybe just maybe Jbot will be able to use this environment to further improve this team in addition to Baloo.  

Ask yourself a serious question.  If Jbot had traded Carrier and a 3rd for Baloo, a 24 yr old former 1st rd pick who can play top 4 minutes and help QB the 2nd PP, in a normal off-season would you have really been to upset?

Even that trade would still have been a steal.

Let's start with ANA. The belief is VGK will claim Clayton Stoner, pass on Manson/Vatanen and, in return for all that, get Shea Theodore.

Per McKenzie.

Wonder if he gets flipped tomorrow?

Seems like a simple solution after all the machinations being speculated.

Doubt Theodore gets flipped. He is exactly the type of building block a young franchise needs and is trying to collect.

And looking at that price, it makes me think Moulson and a sweetener to the Knights remains likely.

Let's flesh it out; the supplemental draft would happen before the Entry draft. Each team can select one player from the imploding team using the same order as the Entry draft (or heck, maybe make it some special lottery to give people something to talk about; each team draws lots but can only move 3 spots up max). That's 30-ish players, and the rest of the imploding team's farm system becomes UFA.

I think Theodore's ceiling is absolutely absurd.

Tuch is a hell of a prospect too.

Montour is my man crush in Anaheim

“I’ve not heard anything new on that, no,” said LeBrun. “And I will tell you this: I know from talking to a number of GMs that their focus has been so Vegas-heavy in terms of making sure that they maximize their leverage and strategy with Vegas that a lot of trade conversations they were having with other teams have kind of been put on hold and they’re about to get back on.

“Chicago is going to feel like – once the Vegas process is done here – Chicago is going to feel like a good old normal draft where there is a lot of wheeling and dealing, except that I think there may be more than ever. I think a lot of deals have been put on hold because teams wanted to wait until after the expansion draft to put the finishing touches on them. They didn’t want to add to their protected list issues last week.

“So whether the Islanders, for example, whether they decide to go ahead on the Jordan Eberle front – I think that’s a possibility, we’ll see. We believe that they’ve also talked to Colorado about Matt Duchene. I don’t know if there’s a fit there.

“But there are lots of different parts here that have nothing to do with Vegas that have sort of been put on hold and now can be unleashed here over the next few days. So I’m looking forward to that.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/lebrun-non-vegas-nhl-trades-ready-unleashed/

“Yeah, without question,” agreed hockey Insider Darren Dreger during a Tuesday afternoon segment on Vancouver’s TSN 1040. “Sakic knows that he’s got to do something with his defense, so he’s strongly in the market for a defenseman. There’s a willingness, from what I understand, to at least consider moving fourth pick overall. That’s surprising to me, and I’m not predicting that’s going to happen. I just believe they’ve had that type of conversation around Colorado to move down maybe in the first round and acquire a good young defenseman that can develop with the Avs.

“I guess the question I would have is with Heiskanen and Makar available in that 3-4-5 spot probably, why wouldn’t you just hold tight and draft a player and develop them yourself. So we’ll have to wait and see.

Dreger sees Islanders poised to add offensive piece soon

“I still firmly believe that Matt Duchene is going to be traded. If not this week at the draft, then I think he will have a change of address prior to the start of the season. There’s always that connection to the New York Islanders. They want to inject something into their top-six, and Duchene wouldn’t be a bad add with John Tavares. Then you’ve got the Eberle rumors and the Alex Galchenyuk rumors as well.

“But I do know that Sakic and the Colorado Avalanche are most definitely in the market to make some changes.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/dreger-avalanche-strongly-market-defenseman/

@mattsekeres (Vancouver Radio Host)
Not sure if this is out there, but rumblings that #VegasGoldenKnights could acquire #2 overall pick from #Flyers via their expansion bounty
Edited by WildCard

Not sure if this is out there, but rumblings that #VegasGoldenKnights could acquire #2 overall pick from #Flyers via their expansion bounty

I have a crush on like six of those d-men haha.

all the other side deals (getting picks/prospects to lay off a player) announced tonight after being processed by Central Registry today...

Per Le Brun

And I believe they said that any three-way transactions, I.e. Vegas trading players they've claimed to other teams, will be announced tomorrow.

Yea I'm good with losing one of the unprotected guys. These deals being announced are nuts.

If the Flyers give up #2 to protect a player, they are nutty.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.