Tank 3.0

inkman

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/Buffalo_Sabres/1

Murray's trades:

Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn for Nikita Zadorov, Mikhail Grigorenko, JT Compher, 2015 2nd

Grade: A++ so far

Robin Lehner and David Legwand for a 2015 1st (21st overall)

Grade: TBD

2016 5th for Brian Flynn

Grade: C

Chad Johnson and 2016 3rd for Michal Neuvirth

Grade: B

Jack Nevins and a 2016 7th for Torrey Mitchell

Grade: C-

Chris Stewart for a 2017 2nd

Grade: C (had better offers earlier and missed out/overvalued asset)

Jason Kasdorf, Zach Bogogian and Evander Kane for Brendan Lemieux, Joel Armia, Drew Stafford, Tyler Myers and a 2015 1st

Grade: B so far, bonus points for tank assist

Anders Lindback and a 2016 3rd for Jhonas Enroth

Grade: B+

Jerry D'Amigo for Luke Adam

Grade: LOL WHO CARES

Jordan Samuels-Thomas for nothing

Grade: A for "ask me if I care"

Josh Gorges for 2016 2nd

Grade: B+

Hudson Fasching and Nic Deslauriers for two 2nds, Brayden McNabb and Jonathan Parker

Grade: TBD, hinges purely on Fasching as McNabb and Deslauriers have defined their roles

Torrey Mitchel, 2014 2nd and 2016 2nd for Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick

Grade: A+ (got two picks for two players he re-signed, helped tank)

Michal Neuvirth and Rostislav Klesla for Jaroslav Halak and a 2015 3rd

Grade: C+

Jaroslav Halak, Chris Stewart, William Carrier, 2015 1st and 2016 3rd for Ryan Miller and Steve Ott

Grade: B

This is purely my opinion. I think he has done very well for himself. Several trades helped the tank and acquired assets that were either sold off or held for the future.

I think you're a generous grader. He did fine in the fire sale trades. (Not quite Regier-level where we were getting first rounders for Gaustad but these types of trades are largely market-based.) The rest of his trades are underwhelming thus far.

Kane and Bogo: C. We shipped out FIVE good trade assets for two guys that have been disappointing so far. Jets fans seem pretty happy with their haul. This trade is also a big reason we don't have a lot left to trade. We need at least one of these guys to step up.

Lehner: D, because we could have just signed Neuvirth. Plus, Lehner was coming off a season with a .905 save percentage. Before that, .913. Why did we pay a premium price for a guy whose stock was at an all-time low? It was a stacked draft. Brock Boeser would look nice in our pipeline right now.

Deslauriers and Fasching: C, because right now it's looking like the Kings got the best player in the deal. McNabb is piling up minutes on their top pairing. I love Des on the 4th line and Fasching projects as a good 2nd liner but it's tough to ignore what McNabb has done since we shipped him out.

Gorges: C. Eh, he's like a better Mike Weber who also takes penalties at the worst possible time. I'm happy he insulted Toronto by rejecting the trade there though.

Obviously, I'm still holding out hope that the first three get better for us (and they certainly can) but that's how I'd grade those at the halfway point of this season. O'Reilly and McGinn trade gets an A++++ and keeps hope alive.

Sabres now in 29th

Is there a point here? When Jack Eichel is skating around the ice with the Sabres first Stanley Cup and handing it to Sam Reinhart is anyone going to care that on January 2nd of the 2015-16 season the Sabres were in 29th?  I know I'm being an a$$, I'm just frustrated at how some seem to be focusing on the meaningless. I know the Sabres lost today and losing sucks. Know what doesn't suck? The Sabres erased two deficits including a two goal goal deficit and the two lynch pins of the future are the players that delivered. Throw the standings out the window and relax and enjoy. Where on the ground floor of something really exciting. 

I think you're a generous grader. He did fine in the fire sale trades. (Not quite Regier-level where we were getting first rounders for Gaustad but these types of trades are largely market-based.) The rest of his trades are underwhelming thus far.

Kane and Bogo: C. We shipped out FIVE good trade assets for two guys that have been disappointing so far. Jets fans seem pretty happy with their haul. This trade is also a big reason we don't have a lot left to trade. We need at least one of these guys to step up.

Lehner: D, because we could have just signed Neuvirth. Plus, Lehner was coming off a season with a .905 save percentage. Before that, .913. Why did we pay a premium price for a guy whose stock was at an all-time low? It was a stacked draft. Brock Boeser would look nice in our pipeline right now.

Deslauriers and Fasching: C, because right now it's looking like the Kings got the best player in the deal. McNabb is piling up minutes on their top pairing. I love Des on the 4th line and Fasching projects as a good 2nd liner but it's tough to ignore what McNabb has done since we shipped him out.

Gorges: C. Eh, he's like a better Mike Weber who also takes penalties at the worst possible time. I'm happy he insulted Toronto by rejecting the trade there though.

Obviously, I'm still holding out hope that the first three get better for us (and they certainly can) but that's how I'd grade those at the halfway point of this season. O'Reilly and McGinn trade gets an A++++ and keeps hope alive.

Not to nitpick here, but how does McNabb get credited for playing w/ LA's best defenseman to allow their other 2 pairings to be stronger but Gorges gets no credit for being on the Sabres' top pairing and top pk pairing?

McNabb isn't a top pairing D-man anymore than Larsson was a #1 C at the end of last season. Sure, that's where he plays, but that's more on how good Daughty is than McNabb bringing a complete game.

Not to nitpick here, but how does McNabb get credited for playing w/ LA's best defenseman to allow their other 2 pairings to be stronger but Gorges gets no credit for being on the Sabres' top pairing and top pk pairing?

McNabb isn't a top pairing D-man anymore than Larsson was a #1 C at the end of last season. Sure, that's where he plays, but that's more on how good Daughty is than McNabb bringing a complete game.

Daughty is a stud defenseman on a Stanley Cup contender, but let's not diminish the fact that McNabb has to be bringing some game to get the minutes he is getting. He may not be a Norris candidate, he's not out of place.  

Daughty is a stud defenseman on a Stanley Cup contender, but let's not diminish the fact that McNabb has to be bringing some game to get the minutes he is getting. He may not be a Norris candidate, he's not out of place.  

He would be greatly appreciated right now on this team.

My guess is that the Kings have McNabb playing with Doughty because he's playing well, not because he's a weak link.

I think McNabb is a good D-man, but more 3-4 than 1-2. The fact he plays with Doughty makes him a quality 1-2 since he can focus on his game versus the whole ice. If Doughty was injured I'd guess he'd look rather overwhelmed until Muzzin was moved up. Then they'd be defensively sound but far less deadly offensively. That being said I'd take him in a heartbeat.

McNabb is 4th on the Kings in TOI. He is also 4th in shifts. He's playing on the top pairing, but is probably their #5 D-man. I did NOT say he brings nothing.

I asked the question why McNabb playing on the top pairing was considered a plus, but Gorges playing there was discounted.

My guess is that the Kings have McNabb playing with Doughty because he's playing well, not because he's a weak link.

And I ask you again, the question right above. Why is he a positive for the Kings, but Gorges playing a similar role isn't? He's 3rd for D in TOI & 2nd in shifts for the Sabres.

He would be greatly appreciated right now on this team.

Of course he would. But would he be ahead of any of the Sabres current top 3? Very doubtful, and the game he brings ISN'T what the Sabres D lacks. He might very well be behind Pysyk also when healthy & McCabe. Edited by Taro T

McNabb is 4th on the Kings in TOI. He is also 4th in shifts. He's playing on the top pairing, but is probably their #5 D-man. I did NOT say he brings nothing.

I asked the question why McNabb playing on the top pairing was considered a plus, but Gorges playing there was discounted.

And I ask you again, the question right above. Why is he a positive for the Kings, but Gorges playing a similar role isn't? He's 3rd for D in TOI & 2nd in shifts for the Sabres.

Of course he would. But would he be ahead of any of the Sabres current top 3? Very doubtful, and the game he brings ISN'T what the Sabres D lacks. He might very well be behind Pysyk also when healthy & McCabe.

You have to look no further that the two teams involved here. A top six forward on the Kings and a top pairing on the D are not the same as on the Sabres. It may  not always be accurate or fair, it's the common perception.   

There is no tank.  There will be no more tank.

The Sabres are making great strides, but the problem is after 2+ years of utter BS the fans want immediate results.  It's understandable.

The kids that the team has hitched the wagon to in the hopes of a(multiple) cup(s) (not just cusps) are making great strides.  It will take time.

I will remind everyone old enough to remember and tell the young fans that in 1975 the Sabres played in the finals ... a mere 5 years after expanding the league.

Lets see where we are in 3, or 4, years.

Look at Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit, any of the perennial contenders/champs.  They didn't suddenly get all the pieces in place and win the Cup the next year.  It's a step by step progression.  There are other teams that sneak in and win a cup and then you never hear from them again.  I don't want to be one of those teams.  I want to be competitive for a long time, even if it means we need to wait bit longer to win the Cup.  I can see Eich/Reino/RyanO/Risto and several of the current squad being on a Cup champion team, but there are still several key players we haven't even heard of yet.  It's coming but the future isn't quite here yet.

I think Hoss was just pointing out we're in 29th place in terms of next years draft.  Ofcourse it's facetious to call this Tank 3.0 but we're far enough down the standings that it doesn't hurt someone updating where we are from the bottom.  I'm not rooting for losses (as I'm sure no one is) but Hoss mentioning we're in 29th is not showing how impatient he is or criticizing the rebuild IMO.

I think Hoss was just pointing out we're in 29th place in terms of next years draft. Ofcourse it's facetious to call this Tank 3.0 but we're far enough down the standings that it doesn't hurt someone updating where we are from the bottom. I'm not rooting for losses (as I'm sure no one is) but Hoss mentioning we're in 29th is not showing how impatient he is or criticizing the rebuild IMO.

Correct. I don't have much of an opinion on our position in the standings. I don't really think it matters right now.

I think I could forgive Bettman for no goal if we win the lottery this year and add Matthews to the Sabres' stable.  But I fully expect Edmonton to win it again.

Edmonton is two points out of a playoff spot.  And that's without McDavid.  When he comes back, I think they'll get in.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.