Tank 3.0

inkman

The problem the Sabres had, and still have;  they need players who can score goals with consistency and when needed.  The Sabres are, I believe, 27th in goals scored in the league. 

Our best guy in points, O'Reilly, is 19th in the league.  

But then you gotta go WAY down to 81st place to find Buffalo's number 2 point scorer, Risto.  Eichel, 3rd on the team, is 96th!!  

O'Reilly is also 18th in goals scored in the league.    But then we gotta plummet down to 57th place to find the number 2 guy - Eichel;  tied with Drew friggin' Stafford for cryin' out loud!     

The Sabres need 3 or 4 more O'Reillys.  He's been a godsend this year;   without O'Reilly the Sabres would be last in the league in standings.  Still.   Even with O'Reilly they're 29th!  :( 

I haven't seen as many games this year as normal as I've moved out of state - but.... from what I've seen you got a lot of guys who aim for dead center for the goalie's belly;   They must think they can shoot the puck hard enough for it to push the goalie into the net to score a goal - that's about the only way you're gonna score that way.   Usually goalie just holds onto the puck and its faceoff time.  

The Buffalo Belly Shooters are out in force (again) this year.     

Edited by Jsixspd

I will call myself on hedging my bets and waiting to say this, but putting Lehner in last night is absolutely evidence there's another tank going on. He got lit up in Rochester and looked crummy last night on two of the goals and seemed to get sloppier as the night wore on. Murray had to be expecting something like that. To force him into the lineup (I'm assuming it was Murray's call) after the team won two straight games tells me winning is not a priority right now. What a dangerous game they are playing. Would love to get inside Eichel's head or O'Reilly's head, these guys who hate to lose.

what? you are just waking up to the fact that winning isn't a priority? you've really got your head stuck in the sand if you think this season is anything more than development. I'm sure neither Eichel or O'Reilly are happy with losing but i'm pretty sure they can both see that the future is bright. 

The Sabres have won three of four. Their lone loss was with Lehner, who let in two bad goals. They are virtually out of the playoff race, but if they can stay hot, they could creep back into it. It's not too late. If Johnson doesn't start the next game, it's a slap in the face of the fans who suffered through that tank thinking that games would mean something again this season. Lehner can be worked in here and there. He should have to earn his starts. Robin ###### Lehner, the anointed savior? Give me a break.

Edited by PASabreFan

OK, I laughed.

I think PA is mostly correct though. 

No. He is not. If GMTM and Bylsma thought Lehner was going to be the starter when the season started, why would they not still think that? And judging him after only having played ONE game this year,… his first game of the year,… his first after recovering from injury, is just,… well, I don't know what it is, but it's seems a little silly.

Are we discussing the very fine distinction between fielding a team to lose vs. fielding a team that may lose? That's how I see it. One's looking for a draft pick, the other's looking for evaluation. Both are looking to tomorrow.

And with that Lehner joins Pegula on the list of things you just can't talk to PA about.

Careful. I have a history of being right about these people.

He's correct that Johnson should start more games until Lehner shows he can get the job done.

Now I'm confused.

No. He is not. If GMTM and Bylsma thought Lehner was going to be the starter when the season started, why would they not still think that? And judging him after only having played ONE game this year,… his first game of the year,… his first after recovering from injury, is just,… well, I don't know what it is, but it's seems a little silly.

Maybe because Lehner just missed three months? On top of missing most of the year before the opener? Johnson is getting the job done. Isn't the hockey world superstitious? You're getting hot. Why change things up so dramatically? This is a short term opinion, by the way. If Johnson loses the next two, fine, all bets are off. The Sabres shouldn't be in evaluation mode just yet.

Pssst, there's a conspiracy, here, to confuse you.

Right. I'm the tin foil hat guy. I said on, oh, Day Two that something was off with Pegula. It's not like that suspicion was born out.

Are we discussing the very fine distinction between fielding a team to lose vs. fielding a team that may lose? That's how I see it. One's looking for a draft pick, the other's looking for evaluation. Both are looking to tomorrow.

I see it that way, if we lose we get closer to the bottom, if we win we gain more successful info on our new core. This season at least, we can't really lose since no matter what we are rewarded in some way.

Are we really defining tanking as not starting Chad Johnson? It's insulting to the fans to not start Chad Johnson? As the great American philosopher Allen Iverson would say, we're talking about Chad Johnson man. I mean I know goaltending's important, but Chad Johnson?!?!

I sent your email address to War On Ice. They're looking for a successor.

Are we really defining tanking as not starting Chad Johnson? It's insulting to the fans to not start Chad Johnson? As the great American philosopher Allen Iverson would say, we're talking about Chad Johnson man. I mean I know goaltending's important, but Chad Johnson?!?!

You're a numbers guy. You're not impressed by his recent stat line? He should sit down to give the rusty Robin Lehner a chance to play himself back into shape? When the team looks to be on the verge of a run?

And this was great too.

You guys have my morning off to a great start.

Once again, with feeling, there is no tank 3.0.

The trades in the most recent off-season prove it.  The coaching change proves it.

The Sabres are just not that good as a team yet, but it's coming.

One game they are showing their youth and inexperience ... the Bruin game.  Then the next game they put it all together with a great team effort ... the Caps game. This is what I expected this season ... some lumps and pain and some great games.  The overall record is what I expected.

You're a numbers guy. You're not impressed by his recent stat line? He should sit down to give the rusty Robin Lehner a chance to play himself back into shape? When the team looks to be on the verge of a run?

Chad played well again last night.

And he seems like such a nice young man.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.