Tank 3.0

inkman

I agree with everything except the last part on Bylsma because I honestly don't know one way or the other. Haven't seen much to tell me he isn't. I think GMTM is brilliant and knows exactly what he's doing.

The jury is very much out on this one.  At least my jury.  Certainly some of the blame for this team underachieving falls on him.  Certainly there are strong arguments based on what we've gotten from them that his trading acumen leaves much to be desired as well.  In only 1 trade have we gotten bang for the buck yet.  Way too early for "brilliant" based on sample size, imo.

I agree with everything except the last part on Bylsma because I honestly don't know one way or the other. Haven't seen much to tell me he isn't. I think GMTM is brilliant and knows exactly what he's doing.

The jury is very much out on this one.  At least my jury.  Certainly some of the blame for this team underachieving falls on him.  Certainly there are strong arguments based on what we've gotten from them that his trading acumen leaves much to be desired as well.  In only 1 trade have we gotten bang for the buck yet.  Way too early for "brilliant" based on sample size, imo.

He's been the GM for two years and he's made one brilliant trade.  I think we can hold off on declaring him a brilliant GM.

The jury is very much out on this one. At least my jury. Certainly some of the blame for this team underachieving falls on him. Certainly there are strong arguments based on what we've gotten from them that his trading acumen leaves much to be desired as well. In only 1 trade have we gotten bang for the buck yet. Way too early for "brilliant" based on sample size, imo.

I can think what I want when I went.

*pushes glasses up with middle finger and crosses arms*

I will call myself on hedging my bets and waiting to say this, but putting Lehner in last night is absolutely evidence there's another tank going on. He got lit up in Rochester and looked crummy last night on two of the goals and seemed to get sloppier as the night wore on. Murray had to be expecting something like that. To force him into the lineup (I'm assuming it was Murray's call) after the team won two straight games tells me winning is not a priority right now. What a dangerous game they are playing. Would love to get inside Eichel's head or O'Reilly's head, these guys who hate to lose.

I will call myself on hedging my bets and waiting to say this, but putting Lehner in last night is absolutely evidence there's another tank going on. He got lit up in Rochester and looked crummy last night on two of the goals and seemed to get sloppier as the night wore on. Murray had to be expecting something like that. To force him into the lineup (I'm assuming it was Murray's call) after the team won two straight games tells me winning is not a priority right now. What a dangerous game they are playing. Would love to get inside Eichel's head or O'Reilly's head, these guys who hate to lose.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23928-gdt-boston-buffalo-700-pm-est-1-15-2016/?p=782331

He looked better than I thought he was going to.

Third goal was a stinker, but overall he looked big and composed.

Watched a lot of games from Ullmark and Johnson that were pretty much carbon copies.

Suggesting that putting your number one goalie in - and, like it or not, that is what Lehner is - as evidence of a tank is...odd to say the least. Do the Sabres need to be in 30th place before he gets a chance to shake the rust off? What would the guys who hate to lose think about that?

He looked better than I thought he was going to.

Third goal was a stinker, but overall he looked big and composed.

Watched a lot of games from Ullmark and Johnson that were pretty much carbon copies.

Suggesting that putting your number one goalie in - and, like it or not, that is what Lehner is - as evidence of a tank is...odd to say the least. Do the Sabres need to be in 30th place before he gets a chance to shake the rust off? What would the guys who hate to lose think about that?

It's the timing that bothers me. And I would disagree that Lehner is your number one anything. It's a three-headed beast at this point in goal, until someone breaks out. Lehner is the nominal number one only because Murray has a hard on for him.

I don't understand.

It's the timing that bothers me. And I would disagree that Lehner is your number one anything. It's a three-headed beast at this point in goal, until someone breaks out. Lehner is the nominal number one only because Murray has a hard on for him.

Disagree on the number one thing.

Johnson is a career backup who is nearly 30. Ullmark is a first-year pro.

Lehner may have been handed the job, but that is why he was acquired and there is no doubt he had the most credentials for it. That's not just a Murray thing.

Edited by dudacek

Soooo.

One game…

That's all a guy gets now?…

…and PA-

-for the last time, this is not a tank!!! With a tank, results matter! Winning might not be a priority right now, but for it to be a tank, losing has to be a priority, and it's not! Let it go.

Do you really not think that even the players know what the deal is with this team right now? If they don't, then we probably don't want them on the team anyway. This is a season long pre-season, for evaluating talent, for when winning will start to be a priority next season.

Watching it with this in mind makes it far more enjoyable.

(oh, great. now I feel like Winston Smith just waiting for the bullet to enter my brain, oof)

Disagree on the number one thing.

Johnson is a career backup who is nearly 30. Ullmark is a first-year pro.

Lehner may have been handed the job, but that is why he was acquired and there is no doubt he had the most credentials for it. That's not just a Murray thing.

What credentials?

More size, more athletic ability, more junior success, more AHL success, more NHL experience.

Two and a half years ago Lehner was one the top-ranked goalie prospects in the world.

He hasn't set the world on fire since then, but he has flamed out either. There aren't many goalies his age who have accomplished more.

Entering this season, his peak was fringe NHL starter with unfulfilled potential

That's not much, but it's clearly better than Johnson's one year of good numbers as a backup And Ullmark's never played a game in North America.

More size, more athletic ability, more junior success, more AHL success, more NHL experience.

Two and a half years ago Lehner was one the top-ranked goalie prospects in the world.

He hasn't set the world on fire since then, but he has flamed out either. There aren't many goalies his age who have accomplished more.

Entering this season, his peak was fringe NHL starter with unfulfilled potential

That's not much, but it's clearly better than Johnson's one year of good numbers as a backup And Ullmark's never played a game in North America.

Ding ding. Apparently at age 18 every player should be the top level ultra-elite #1, starter who never plays poorly.

Not to mention Murray is heralded as a top level talent evaluator. A LITTLE faith would be good, eh?

No damn patience anymore. One game back and everyone wants to throw him to the wolves. Imagine if you were banned for one moderately bad post on this forum?  Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Lehner played fine last night.  His positioning was sound.  His rebound control was pretty good.  The weakest goal in my opinion was the one off the wall.  He missed the deflection. He was clearly looking to direct that puck off the stick to the boards to his right and it went under and then in off his legs.  

McCabe is the reason for the one in front and Lehner couldn't see a thing in the seeing-eye puck from the point. 

String him up though. He's washed out.

Ding ding. Apparently at age 18 every player should be the top level ultra-elite #1, starter who never plays poorly.

Not to mention Murray is heralded as a top level talent evaluator. A LITTLE faith would be good, eh?

No damn patience anymore. One game back and everyone wants to throw him to the wolves. Imagine if you were banned for one moderately bad post on this forum? Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Lehner played fine last night. His positioning was sound. His rebound control was pretty good. The weakest goal in my opinion was the one off the wall. He missed the deflection. He was clearly looking to direct that puck off the stick to the boards to his right and it went under and then in off his legs.

McCabe is the reason for the one in front and Lehner couldn't see a thing in the seeing-eye puck from the point.

String him up though. He's washed out.

+ 1 Great post

Thanks for the past two posts.

Maybe it's because people think goalies are a complete roll of the dice, but it seems like a lot of people here don't recognize how young Lehner is for an NHL goalie, or how highly-thought of he was as a prospect.

He fits Murray's goal of adding talented young players who got clogged in another organization for whatever reason. Really you could make a case that he is a goalie equivalent of a Jonathan Drouin.

I have no idea if he will succeed - sometimes in those deals you get JP Dumont, other times Cody Hodgson.

But I am surprised at the number of people who don't seem excited - some of you actually seem angry - about watching him try.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.