Tank 3.0

inkman

I'd like to give Girgensons more time with Eichel and some PP minutes before closing the door on his offensive ability. As for Ennis, I think his career speaks for itself: he's a ~45 point secondary scorer. Did many think he was much more than that? Honestly not remembering here.

I'm not closing the door on his offensive talent... I just don't think he was ever going to be much more than he was last year at 20-20-40 in a full season. I don't know if people thought he was better than that, but he has certainly performed well below it. Maybe he'll struggle transitioning to a secondary role as opposed to alpha dog.

The other night Eichel tucked a nifty pass down low to Girgensons, who was face to face with the goalie. And right off the pad, like he was aiming for it. I fear that's what Zemgus is now, in terms of a scoring touch. Where are those hands we saw in the past?

Eichel seems to be having the season to most expected. Reinhart is where I expected, better than most of the board expected.

O'Reilly is also better than most expected. McGinn is where his track record suggests he should be.

Every other forward is below expectations for scoring, some of them (Girgensons, Moulson, Ennis) significantly.

Is it the system? Expectations? Just one of those years?

This team will get better because Reinhart will eventually score like O'Reilly and Eichel will score more than that.

But it looks like Tim Murray still has money to earn massaging the supporting cast.

Eichel seems to be having the season to most expected. Reinhart is where I expected, better than most of the board expected.

O'Reilly is also better than most expected. McGinn is where his track record suggests he should be.

Every other forward is below expectations for scoring, some of them (Girgensons, Moulson, Ennis) significantly.

Is it the system? Expectations? Just one of those years?

This team will get better because Reinhart will eventually score like O'Reilly and Eichel will score more than that.

But it looks like Tim Murray still has money to earn massaging the supporting cast.

Take away the O'Reilly trade and Tim Murray's time as GM hasn't exactly been terrific.

Take away the O'Reilly trade and Tim Murray's time as GM hasn't exactly been terrific.

It's been average. The Kane deal needed to happen but him and Bogo haven't really done much. Kane to me for now has been a disappointment. McNabb trade I still feel is a good one when Fasching is ready to be here. I think we really need another bottom 5 finish and replenish the prospects and grab another stud

Moulson got a judicious stint with Gionta and O'Reilly for a week or two late November/early December.

Other than that, he hasn't seen much regular top-six action that I can recall.

As some point the players effort has to warrant a bigger opportunity. Teams looking to pick up some depth for a playoff run are going to look at Moulson's play this season and pass. There is nothing about his game this season that is appealing to other teams. Contract aside, I doubt Moulson would get any interest from a team if the Sabres simply waived him. Unless there is a team with serious injury problems that just need a warm body. Right now, any minute Moulson spends on the ice is wasted ice time for the Sabres.   

at what point does someone create a reverse standings table again? 

January 1st and the Sabres are alone in 28th place. Though they are only 4 points out of 20th.

My eyes tell me this is a much improved squad but what do the numbers say?

through 38 games played

15/16        14/15

Points                        34              31

League placing         28th           28th

GF                             88              76

GA                            101             132

Goal differential          -13             -56

They are much more competitive game to game but their lack of goal scoring has held them back from much improvement in the standings.

There is a lot more to building a contender than just goal scoring. As your numbers point out, going from a -56 to -13 is no small feat. And their nightly level of compete has been very very good. The goals will come over time.  

Edited by DeLuca1967

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/Buffalo_Sabres/1

Murray's trades:

Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn for Nikita Zadorov, Mikhail Grigorenko, JT Compher, 2015 2nd

Grade: A++ so far

Robin Lehner and David Legwand for a 2015 1st (21st overall)

Grade: TBD

2016 5th for Brian Flynn

Grade: C

Chad Johnson and 2016 3rd for Michal Neuvirth

Grade: B

Jack Nevins and a 2016 7th for Torrey Mitchell

Grade: C-

Chris Stewart for a 2017 2nd

Grade: C (had better offers earlier and missed out/overvalued asset)

Jason Kasdorf, Zach Bogogian and Evander Kane for Brendan Lemieux, Joel Armia, Drew Stafford, Tyler Myers and a 2015 1st

Grade: B so far, bonus points for tank assist

Anders Lindback and a 2016 3rd for Jhonas Enroth

Grade: B+

Jerry D'Amigo for Luke Adam

Grade: LOL WHO CARES

Jordan Samuels-Thomas for nothing

Grade: A for "ask me if I care"

Josh Gorges for 2016 2nd

Hudson Fasching and Nic Deslauriers for two 2nds, Brayden McNabb and Jonathan Parker

Grade: TBD, hinges purely on Fasching as McNabb and Deslauriers have defined their roles

Torrey Mitchel, 2014 2nd and 2016 2nd for Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick

Grade: A+ (got two picks for two players he re-signed, helped tank)

Michal Neuvirth and Rostislav Klesla for Jaroslav Halak and a 2015 3rd

Grade: C+

Jaroslav Halak, Chris Stewart, William Carrier, 2015 1st and 2016 3rd for Ryan Miller and Steve Ott

This is purely my opinion. I think he has done very well for himself. Several trades helped the tank and acquired assets that were either sold off or held for the future.

Murray's trades:

Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn for Nikita Zadorov, Mikhail Grigorenko, JT Compher, 2015 2nd

2016 5th for Brian Flynn

Jason Kasdorf, Zach Bogogian and Evander Kane for Brendan Lemieux, Joel Armia, Drew Stafford, Tyler Myers and a 2015 1st

Josh Gorges for 2016 2nd

Hudson Fasching and Nic Deslauriers for two 2nds, Brayden McNabb and Jonathan Parker

Grade: TBD, hinges purely on Fasching as McNabb and Deslauriers have defined their roles

Jaroslav Halak, Chris Stewart, William Carrier, 2015 1st and 2016 3rd for Ryan Miller and Steve Ott

This is purely my opinion. I think he has done very well for himself. Several trades helped the tank and acquired assets that were either sold off or held for the future.

I think this of all boards should be past the concept of "winning trades"

But this is very nicely stated.

Murray's trades:

2016 5th for Brian Flynn

Josh Gorges for 2016 2nd

It's too early to evaluate these trades.

Murray's trades:

2016 5th for Brian Flynn

Josh Gorges for 2016 2nd

Excellent assessment on those trades. Most of those moves were purely tank moves besides the O'Reilly , Kane and Bogo deal. To me I expected more out of Kane. Lerhner deal I don't know about that deal. I thought he overpaid a first for him but he still has time to develop into a solid goalie. I look at this team when we play teams with speed this team has trouble plus we lack some pure goal scorers. I would really love to finish in the bottom 5 and snag another solid player and replenish our prospect pool.

Auston Matthews.

It would be poetic justice. After tanking and finishing last two years in a row and failing to get the no. 1 pick, it would only be fair to not finish last and get still get the top pick!

Matthews or either of the Finns would be fantastic.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.