Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Garret Sparks, starting his first NHL game for the Leafs tonight, has the best pads and mask I have seen on a goalie in a very long time. I don't like the Leafs, but I would be happy to see this look more often. Outstanding stuff here. 

http://vine.co/v/iWz67hpIm5M/embed/simple

article_e9843d02-0443-450c-8c52-68a97446

I feel like I'd be hypnotized if I was skating in towards those pads.

Even though they aren't?

They may not be, but one thing nobody has mentioned yet is the change in leg pads. They are rigid now and remain these huge cinder block walls no matter what position the goalie's leg is in. When a goalie would go to his knees with the older pads, the top would fold and follow the bend in the leg, staying with the thigh, opening up the five hole a lot more. Now, the pad never bends and the five whole never opens up.

They may not be, but one thing nobody has mentioned yet is the change in leg pads. They are rigid now and remain these huge cinder block walls no matter what position the goalie's leg is in. When a goalie would go to his knees with the older pads, the top would fold and follow the bend in the leg, staying with the thigh, opening up the five hole a lot more. Now, the pad never bends and the five whole never opens up.

A lot of it has to do with making it easier for goalies to drop to their knees too. Having used both types of pads I will say that movement is much more natural with the butterfly pads that rotate and have a knee slider than with the old pads where you dropped on the face of them. I think the way pads are now makes things much easier on a goalie's joints and allows them to play longer and with less injury.

I feel like I'd be hypnotized if I was skating in towards those pads.

I'd be thinking, who's Briana?

Seriously though, is there any doubt it's not just a cool design but a design someone thinks will throw off a shooter? Should such designs be banned? How about the pads that, when put together, give the appearance of a five hole (black pads with white border, or vice versa)?

We may end up hating Garret Sparks down the road, but you can't help but feel great for the kid tonight:

On the ice after the game

Post gamer

I might get a little moist standing next to her. I like the glitzy, first star interviews some teams do. Unfortunately, a market that Ted Black described as "mature" would never stand for it.

I'd be thinking, who's Briana?

Seriously though, is there any doubt it's not just a cool design but a design someone thinks will throw off a shooter? Should such designs be banned? How about the pads that, when put together, give the appearance of a five hole (black pads with white border, or vice versa)?

I might get a little moist standing next to her. I like the glitzy, first star interviews some teams do. Unfortunately, a market that Ted Black described as "mature" would never stand for it.

Now you got me searching for ugly/distracting goalie pads. Enjoy my curated collection. Maybe we should resurrect the Art of Hockey thread or whatever it was called... 

8Q9nb.jpg 

Pretty good, no?

BReNiBQ.png

Oh baby.

ray.jpg

hrudey.jpg

Actually super cool. Love it.

fe8814e8d7ea7d58e7b24045a9ad38b8.jpg

Ok there are many others but... Enjoy. 

I can see D4ark in the leopard skinned  pads.

The polar bear ones are really cool! 

So you tell her the brownies are dry, and where does that get you? Sack up, gents.

OMG she's a two face!

You get brownies? And you're allowed to use the m word? Wow! For me to sack up, I'll need them out of her purse.