Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

So you're saying they'll be resigned by the wings.

heh.  They'll finally land a big fish IMO.  I cannot understand how they've been even functional with that terrible D for so long.  Kronwall withstanding, they're terrible. 

Sorry LTS, but why do we have to be politically correct on a message board about sports?

No one has to be politically correct anywhere.  My comment was because in the draft lottery thread, when Toronto won the pick there were quite a few comments wishing harm to Matthews.  I had asked why would we do that and was met with "It's over the top and shouldn't be taken seriously."  I don't disagree but I made the point that people tend to sound much more serious at times.  Thus, in this thread, when the statement of harm is preceded by "I swear to God" it makes it sound a lot less "over the top" and much more serious.  So I asked a question... because in the hopes of understanding the point that had been made previously, I desired an answer to this seemingly different scenario.

As I said.. I wasn't trying to be an ass, I was legitimately asking.  What seems to be lost in this world is the concept that people should ask questions with the hope of creating a better understanding.  Rather, it is much easier to just condemn those who ask the questions. 

I absolutely do have reason and good cause. And I'd DO IT if given a chance.

I mean, of course I would do it! Why else would I post such a thought through an anonymous screen name on an internet message board?

And, hey pal, if you keep it up with this pedantry, I'll envision YOU walking right next to Garrioch when I give that fat ###### a swift, firm push into oncoming traffic.

;)

I'm not sure I'd call it being PC. I think it's being a bit weirdly literal and, as I said above, pedantic.

We engage in all kinds of hyperbolic, metaphorical, ranting, raving, out-there talk on this board. I very rarely (and not in recent memory) take or mean these kinds of statements at face value. And I trust others are capable of the same discernment. 

See above. As I clearly underscored in my request, the phrase "I swear to God" provides some air of seriousness. It clearly did not.  I have my answer.

The world is blurring the line between literal and hyperbolic.  As such, it becomes harder and harder to ignore commentary. 

As a final parting stating on this, allow me to go completely off-topic and relay a story that happened last night.

I was coaching my 12U baseball team.  In the parking lot behind me I can hear a child who is clearly very upset. I look over at the parking lot a few times and see two adults apparently talking to each other.  I say apparently because it's far enough that I cannot hear them (75 feet?).  This goes on for some indeterminate about of time (I was paying attention to the baseball game).  As time goes on I don't hear the children anymore.  So I think, cool, the kid was calmed and all is well.

That's until the a State Trooper and a Sheriff pull into the lot.  Now of course I realize something is not right.  There's only one adult left in the parking lot and a car is missing.

What happened? I still don't fully know. As best as I know at this point, there was a heated discussion between two divorced parents and two kids were caught up in it. The father was accusing the mother of being a drug addict and physically forced the kids into his car. She tried to stop him and he bumped her with the car.  He apparently left (that's why it became quiet) and she called the police.  The other part is that he might have been a bit TOO forceful with the children as there were questions being asked whether he hit them or not.

Now, had I stopped and paid more attention perhaps those children don't end up driving off in a car with a guy who might have just abused them.  One might half expect that by the time I heading home there will be some kind of Amber Alert.

It appeared to be a normal conversation with a kid who was just a bit unruly.  Turns out it was more than that.  Where's the line?

See, you will feel somewhat put off by me asking because in your head you know what you mean.  Meanwhile, my backstory could be different.  Perhaps I experienced something where someone said something so over the top that you completely dismiss it and then it happens.

Sort of like in high school when a kid said he was so pissed at his parents he could kill them....  everyone says that right?  Except he did.  Yep.  That happened.  I heard him say it.  

"I swear to God" it makes it sound a lot less "over the top" and much more serious.  So I asked a question... because in the hopes of understanding the point that had been made previously, I desired an answer to this seemingly different scenario.

This is not unfair. Message boards, and such, are so bad with tone. If you could hear the way I am saying it in my head -- it would so clearly be in this mock antic faux serious manner.

As I said.. I wasn't trying to be an ass, I was legitimately asking.  What seems to be lost in this world is the concept that people should ask questions with the hope of creating a better understanding.  Rather, it is much easier to just condemn those who ask the questions. 

Didn't mean to condemn. Sorry if it seemed I did. I was a bit confused -- and then perhaps a little cranky -- over the persistence of the question (in its various iterations).

The world is blurring the line between literal and hyperbolic.  

How so?

Or is your parting story meant to illustrate the point? If so, I don't quite follow. But I probably need to give the matter closer consideration.

See, you will feel somewhat put off by me asking because in your head you know what you mean. 

This is true.

Meanwhile, my backstory could be different.  Perhaps I experienced something where someone said something so over the top that you completely dismiss it and then it happens.

Sort of like in high school when a kid said he was so pissed at his parents he could kill them....  everyone says that right?  Except he did.  Yep.  That happened.  I heard him say it.  

I guess I understand what you're saying here. I'm not entirely sure, tbh.

I've had experiences like those in my life -- upsetting ones, troubling ones. I just don't bring those experiences to bear on a message board where I'm usually just shooting the breeze.

In fact, as a rule, I just don't make or take anything here too seriously. This is diversion -- a form of entertainment. I'll get agitated now and then. But if it gets too heavy, I just log off.

No one has to be politically correct anywhere.  My comment was because in the draft lottery thread, when Toronto won the pick there were quite a few comments wishing harm to Matthews.  I had asked why would we do that and was met with "It's over the top and shouldn't be taken seriously."  I don't disagree but I made the point that people tend to sound much more serious at times.  Thus, in this thread, when the statement of harm is preceded by "I swear to God" it makes it sound a lot less "over the top" and much more serious.  So I asked a question... because in the hopes of understanding the point that had been made previously, I desired an answer to this seemingly different scenario.

Nobody is condemning you for anything. This isn't 1984. Taking anything seriously when it comes to wishing harm on other teams is just folly. 

Nobody is condemning you for anything. This isn't 1984. Taking anything seriously when it comes to wishing harm on other teams is just folly.

When someone says "folly" I always think of Boromir's line in FOTR, "not with 10,000 men could you do this, it is folly". Classic.

The scouting department of the Panthers have been feeling the heat with the organization leaning more towards an analytical strategy, many not sure of their future.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-panthers-chart-bold-new-direction/

So what do you do when your team has the most successful season in history, largely in part due to the players that were drafted over the last 5-6 years? Well you fire the director of player personnel and head of scouting, Scott Luce, of course.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1031740

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Datsyuk has left the building

Per Sovetsky Sports’ Dimitri Spirin, Datsyuk has tentatively agreed to a two year deal with SKA St. Petersburg to kick in next season. The deal is expected to be signed into effect at the end of the 2016 World Championships.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/report-pavel-datsyuk-signing-ska-st-petersburg/

Edited by WildCard

The scouting department of the Panthers have been feeling the heat with the organization leaning more towards an analytical strategy, many not sure of their future.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-panthers-chart-bold-new-direction/

So what do you do when your team has the most successful season in history, largely in part due to the players that were drafted over the last 5-6 years? Well you fire the director of player personnel and head of scouting, Scott Luce, of course.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1031740

Gotta get those Close Fenwick-Corsi In-tight numbers up. The tail wags the dog.

Florida has built itself a team that should be built for the long haul through an under-noticed tank and appear to have drafted well.

Not the type of team that would be purging its scouting department.

It will be very interesting to see where this goes.

Rightly or wrongly I perceive it as a difference in the extent ownership wants to use analytics.

That is my take as well.

"We are moving towards analytics.  If you embrace it and use it as part of your process there is a place for you here.  If you don't want to move towards analytics, you are free to find an organization that accepts that."

Pittsburgh has M-A Fleury on the books for 5.75 through 2019!

I could see him landing in DAL, assuming they can trade one or both of Lehtonen/Niemi.  

Lehtonen's deal will be difficult to move, they eat some of his remaining salary... or outright buy him out.