Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Would Joyce be an analytics whiz kid?

It appears so. He does have an extremely interesting resume outside of hockey.

From the Panthers Website

General Manager

Eric Joyce enters his first season as General Manager of the Portland Pirates.

Joyce joined the Florida Panthers prior to the 2013-14 season as an Assistant to the General Manager, and became General Manager of the AHL’s San Antonio Rampage during the 2014-2015 campaign.

In his first season as GM of the Rampage, Joyce helped lead the team to their first division title in franchise history.

The 37 year-old Boston, Massachusetts native is also responsible for coordinating the Panthers’ analytics department, as well as serves in a community relations role for the Panthers, leading the team’s off-the-ice effort throughout South Florida.

Prior to joining the Panthers front office, Joyce served in numerous governmental roles focusing on National Security, most notably as a Captain in the US Army Infantry, where he was deployed to Mosul, Iraq in 2004-2005. While serving in Iraq with the 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment, Joyce earned a Combat Infantryman’s Badge and a Bronze Star, and his unit earned the Valorous Unit Citation.

Most recently, Joyce was an instructor for the Department of Social Sciences at the United States Military Academy at West Point, specializing in instruction in Counterterrorism and Homeland Security.

Joyce earned a Bachelor’s Degree in System’s Engineering from the United States Military Academy at West Point in 2002, and a Master’s Degree from Harvard’s School of Government in 2011. While a student at West Point, Joyce played NCAA Division I hockey for the Cadets from 1998-2002. He was named to the ECAC All-Academic Team in 2001-2002 and received the Mike Gunning Award as the team’s top scholar athlete.

Joyce resides with his wife, Sarah Rose, their daughter, Charlotte Rose, and their son, James Michael, in Belmont, Massachusetts.

It appears so. He does have an extremely interesting resume outside of hockey.

From the Panthers Website

General Manager

Eric Joyce enters his first season as General Manager of the Portland Pirates.

Joyce joined the Florida Panthers prior to the 2013-14 season as an Assistant to the General Manager, and became General Manager of the AHL’s San Antonio Rampage during the 2014-2015 campaign.

In his first season as GM of the Rampage, Joyce helped lead the team to their first division title in franchise history.

The 37 year-old Boston, Massachusetts native is also responsible for coordinating the Panthers’ analytics department, as well as serves in a community relations role for the Panthers, leading the team’s off-the-ice effort throughout South Florida.

Prior to joining the Panthers front office, Joyce served in numerous governmental roles focusing on National Security, most notably as a Captain in the US Army Infantry, where he was deployed to Mosul, Iraq in 2004-2005. While serving in Iraq with the 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment, Joyce earned a Combat Infantryman’s Badge and a Bronze Star, and his unit earned the Valorous Unit Citation.

Most recently, Joyce was an instructor for the Department of Social Sciences at the United States Military Academy at West Point, specializing in instruction in Counterterrorism and Homeland Security.

Joyce earned a Bachelor’s Degree in System’s Engineering from the United States Military Academy at West Point in 2002, and a Master’s Degree from Harvard’s School of Government in 2011. While a student at West Point, Joyce played NCAA Division I hockey for the Cadets from 1998-2002. He was named to the ECAC All-Academic Team in 2001-2002 and received the Mike Gunning Award as the team’s top scholar athlete.

Joyce resides with his wife, Sarah Rose, their daughter, Charlotte Rose, and their son, James Michael, in Belmont, Massachusetts.

That's a hell of a resumè. Vinnie likes his West Point grads. He's got 4 or 5 working in the organization. 

Their prediction thread for the draft pick seemed a bit off.  Charlie McAvoy at 8 as well as Bellows are reaches.  It's good to have another site to read on though :)

I had been reading their front page and then linked the Sabres section prior to reading anything on there. The draft prediction isn't the only weird thing they have for Buffalo. They're adamant we let Foligno walk too

I had been reading their front page and then linked the Sabres section prior to reading anything on there. The draft prediction isn't the only weird thing they have for Buffalo. They're adamant we let Foligno walk too

That's laughable.  He's a perfect complimentary player like Deslauriers is.  

That's laughable.  He's a perfect complimentary player like Deslauriers is.  

Sure, but just a qualifying offer for Foligno is $2.5M.  Deslauriers makes $650K.  I don't want the team paying Foligno anywhere close to $2.5M.

Sure, but just a qualifying offer for Foligno is $2.5M.  Deslauriers makes $650K.  I don't want the team paying Foligno anywhere close to $2.5M.

That's the rub. They believe Foligno will want $4m

If that's the case he will be part of a trade package this summer

I don't think so.  He's a restricted free agent and, like I said above, even a qualifying offer has to be $2.5M.  That's just too much for him.  I think they'll let him walk.

I don't think so. He's a restricted free agent and, like I said above, even a qualifying offer has to be $2.5M. That's just too much for him. I think they'll let him walk.

After GMTM including him in his list of "core players" or whatever it was last summer, and his second half of the season this year, I don't know if I agree with this.

I don't think so.  He's a restricted free agent and, like I said above, even a qualifying offer has to be $2.5M.  That's just too much for him.  I think they'll let him walk.

We get a 3rd compensatory pick if he does walk

Completely unrelated, but with the new Yotes GM, don't expect statistical phenom OEL to be going anywhere anytime soon.

We get a 3rd compensatory pick if he does walk

Completely unrelated, but with the new Yotes GM, don't expect statistical phenom OEL to be going anywhere anytime soon.

Only if they present him with the qualifying offer, right?

That's the rub. They believe Foligno will want $4m

In what world does a guy coming off a career year with 11 goals get $4 million?

Eleven's right. The $2.5 is tough to swallow.

They certainly will qualify him however.

Foligno had value.

Foligno had value.

$2.5 million seems to be a going rate for a decent 3rd line player, bordering on a bargain. Granted he's a center, but Marcus Kruger's career high is 28 points and he was coming off a 17 point campaign when Chicago gave him a 3 year $9.25 million contract last offseason. Maybe a better comparable is Cal Clutterbuck, a high-teens to low-20s player, who makes $2.75 million.

I'd have no problems locking up Foligno at $3 million if I was confident we'd be getting 2nd half Foligno for the length of that contract.

Foligno had value.

His brother gets 5.5 to score 15 goals a year.