Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

You're right it's nothing new. But that doesn't make it right. Not to mention what the article brought up, other teams have held multiple events. If he's going to adhere to the rules, it has to apply to everybody else. Napoleon will enforce the rules whenever he deems it necessary, kind of like his on-ice product. The NBA welcomes these kind of things.

Pretty sure nobody has stated that it is.

And this doesn't appear to be Bettman acting on his own. NBC seems to have a hand in this as well.

Pretty sure nobody has stated that it is.

And this doesn't appear to be Bettman acting on his own. NBC seems to have a hand in this as well.

Bettman had a hand in making the deal, Bettman has a hand in enforcing it. They also have a hand in keeping many from seeing the game on national TV because NBCSN isn't a national network. They might have something to stand on if the games were actually broadcast on NBC.

http://m.thn.com/blog/nhl-taking-a-bullet-for-nbc-sports-by-cancelling-tampa-viewing-party/looks like NBC forced their hand. I like LGR4GMs idea. Let the team pay a premium for the broadcast, therefore NBC gets their cut. Unfortunately, as with the case of live streaming, money is not the overriding factor for NBC. Comcast owns NBC so maybe they're the pricks?

http://m.thn.com/blog/nhl-taking-a-bullet-for-nbc-sports-by-cancelling-tampa-viewing-party/looks like NBC forced their hand. I like LGR4GMs idea. Let the team pay a premium for the broadcast, therefore NBC gets their cut. Unfortunately, as with the case of live streaming, money is not the overriding factor for NBC. Comcast owns NBC so maybe they're the pricks?

There is no way NBC is going to let ratings fall in May intentionally. May is "sweeps month" & the ratings set advertising rates for pretty much the rest of the year.

No idea what you mean by the bolded.

NBC can't get companies to by commercial time as it is. If they could, we wouldn't be watching the same five commercials the entire postseason.

But NBC is not even trying to sell time on NBC.

Sens d-man Chris Phillips retires. He missed all of last season with a back injury, and has played with the Sens since being drafted 1st overall in 1996

http://thehockeywriters.com/senators-chris-phillips-announces-his-retirement/

He was a good soldier.  Admirable hockey career for a stay at home defensemen.  Especially staying in Ottawa for all that time.  Good luck in life after hockey!

He was a good soldier.  Admirable hockey career for a stay at home defensemen.  Especially staying in Ottawa for all that time.  Good luck in life after hockey!

Always liked Phillips. Context: Buffalo took Erik Rasmussen 7th over all in that draft. Phillips went #1.

Always liked Phillips. Context: Buffalo took Erik Rasmussen 7th over all in that draft. Phillips went #1.

What a putrid draft. Chara saves it in the third round but save for Briere, Dumont and a few role player, that draft was amazingly putrid. Zyuzin 2nd overall!!

What a putrid draft. Chara saves it in the third round but save for Briere, Dumont and a few role player, that draft was amazingly putrid. Zyuzin 2nd overall!!

Wow.  That WAS a bad draft.

Reports the Kings are stripping Dustin Brown of the captaincy. ETA until they find a way to weasel out of his contract?

The Kings longest tenured Captain, stripped of the C, with SIX years left on his contract.

Talk about a kick in the teeth. 

Is Briere a HOF bubble conversation? 307 goals, 696 pts, 973 games, ~.7 ppg.

No cups. I say no to HOF, and pretty far down on the bubble conversation.

In fact, my "research" for this post answered my own question. Amiright?

Is Briere a HOF bubble conversation? 307 goals, 696 pts, 973 games, ~.7 ppg.

No cups. I say no to HOF, and pretty far down on the bubble conversation.

In fact, my "research" for this post answered my own question. Amiright?

Briere should not be in the Hall of Fame.

Interesting playoff vs regular season conversation regarding Briere. Playoff ppg >1. Interesting in light of the clutch comments we've had on this board. I'm not sure what clutch is to any two of us, but he certainly contributed in April, May and June.

Interesting playoff vs regular season conversation regarding Briere. Playoff ppg >1. Interesting in light of the clutch comments we've had on this board. I'm not sure what clutch is to any two of us, but he certainly contributed in April, May and June.

Maybe he was just lazy October-March? :p

There's gotta be an explanation for his production drop off. No one puts together that many great seasons and then just hits a wall. He's only 31. 

His production though drops off after 2013 which gets in asterisk for the shortened season. Since then he has 27points, 27points, and 28points. 

HOF, yay or nay. Could be an interesting thread. There are some significantly better "stat" lines not in the Hall. Perhaps the NHL's a little more exclusive than some leagues. Roenick, Lindros, Turgeon, Andrychuk.