Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

I like how the ref is looking around for the puck... it goes in the net, he still doesn't see it but hears the horn go off, then looks in the net and makes the goal signal

Foligno got molested by Komacerak on thet play. Left his feet and clobbered him to the ice then laid on his face with his stick hand till they scored. Damn. First Foligno just embarrassed him and took the puck to the net though.

Giroux and Ghost may miss the Word Cup of Hockey

The Philadelphia Flyers said Saturday that center Claude Giroux and defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere will be out up to three months due to surgery.

Giroux and Gostisbehere each will have procedures done Tuesday on their right hips as well as surgery to repair bilateral lower abdominal tears.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/15543402/claude-giroux-shayne-gostisbehere-philadelphia-flyers-out-10-12-weeks

Good article on stay at home d-men, and how they are detrimental to your team. Wish it had more stats though

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/new-york-rangers/defensive-defensemen-no-longer-work-in-todays-nhl/

The new Defensive defenseman has to be able to skate, and skate well. To be honest if Bogo gets his D play more consistent he'd be a poster child for the modern defensive dman. Since he can skate, hit, and pitch in on offense from time to time. He's a bit better than the usual in offensive terms more likely though. Pysyk is more of the other type of classical defensive defenseman, the smooth skater who uses positioning.  

The new Defensive defenseman has to be able to skate, and skate well. To be honest if Bogo gets his D play more consistent he'd be a poster child for the modern defensive dman. Since he can skate, hit, and pitch in on offense from time to time. He's a bit better than the usual in offensive terms more likely though. Pysyk is more of the other type of classical defensive defenseman, the smooth skater who uses positioning.  

Skating is a large part of it, but IMO this biggest thing is transitioning the puck up the ice, instead of merely dumping it out to center off the boards to clear the zone.

Elliotte Friedman expects the Stars to avoid the TB-Stamkos scenario and sign Jamie Benn to an extension worth $8m <= n < $10m this summer. Keep in mind, with that extension taking priority, Nichushkin an RFA, and a goalie nightmare, the Stars will have to let go some of the 4 UFA d-men they have. 

“So I would suspect it gets done in the summer. I think they have an idea what this is going to take. I think they have a willingness to do it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it comes in around $9 million. I’m not saying that’s the exact number, but I’m saying it’s probably somewhere within a few hundred thousand dollars one way or the other.

“I don’t think this is going to be a 10, but I think it’s going to be somewhere between 8.5 and 9.5, I would guess.”

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/friedman-weighs-in-on-potential-benn-contract-extension/

Interesting, especially compared to the defensive numbers I ran last week. 

The draft ones? 

Edited by WildCard

The sportster ( not sure what exactly that is ) is basically calling Risto a bust among others in his draft class in a recent article. If I knew how to post a link I would. For those with interest make like Sherlock.

The sportster ( not sure what exactly that is ) is basically calling Risto a bust among others in his draft class in a recent article. If I knew how to post a link I would. For those with interest make like Sherlock.

Click bait.