Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

If that is true and they had NMCs at that point, but I'm not even sure that they'd be eligible for NMCs

I think we're going to have to use forward slots for them

Let me ask this then

Does this at all affect anyone's opinion on signing Stamkos?

If no-movement clauses are exempt, as in don't have to protect, then give one to Stamkos and we're set.

And while we're at it, give them to Foligno, Girgensons and Risto too.

Basically, set it up so they have to take Moulson ????

Edited by dudacek

From Lebrun today:

"And while Daly wouldn't say, presuming therefore that players with full no-moves can't be exposed. Looks like they'll be immune to exp draft"People are taking that to mean they won't be exposed and won't count on the list of protected players

Even better

Whether or not a NMC is protected, just keep in mind that Buffalo can only have 1 player poached from them (unless they have changed that) so even if a guy like Ennis is exposed or Pysyk, sure we lose someone we could use but it isn't like we lose both of them. This is another reason I think we need to hit and hit well in this draft and the next, just provide us with a safety net in case we have to expose something we wish we didn't. 

Whether or not a NMC is protected, just keep in mind that Buffalo can only have 1 player poached from them (unless they have changed that) so even if a guy like Ennis is exposed or Pysyk, sure we lose someone we could use but it isn't like we lose both of them. This is another reason I think we need to hit and hit well in this draft and the next, just provide us with a safety net in case we have to expose something we wish we didn't.

A safer bet, considering this'll be dragged out at least 1 more year, is that 2 teams come in & each get 1 rostered player from each team.

In the past, if you lost a goalie you couldn't lose a D & vice versa. As teams are also trying to stock their farm teams at the same time, it is very likely that GMs will make deals to give up mid-level prospects to protect the 1st or second best exposed guy on their team. E.g., if the Sabres have to expose Ullmark to Seattle they may make a deal w/ Vegas to take Pysyk in the 1st round or 2 & they throw in Compher as the sweetener to seal the deal. (Note, all names are purely hypothetical for example purposes only.)

Edited by Taro T

It's funny. The current state of the game - to the extent it's not so great - sometimes strikes me as there being too much talent in and among the players, rather than the opposite. It's the sort of thought I have when I watch highlights from the 70s and 80s, and see someone like Perreault dance around defensemen as though they were so many pylons.

A safer bet, considering this'll be dragged out at least 1 more year, is that 2 teams come in & each get 1 rostered player from each team.

In the past, if you lost a goalie you couldn't lose a D & vice versa. As teams are also trying to stock their farm teams at the same time, it is very likely that GMs will make deals to give up mid-level prospects to protect the 1st or second best exposed guy on their team. E.g., if the Sabres have to expose Ullmark to Seattle they may make a deal w/ Vegas to take Pysyk in the 1st round or 2 & they throw in Compher as the sweetener to seal the deal. (Note, all names are purely hypothetical for example purposes only.)

Hmm that makes sense.

Is Seattle getting a team and that's why it's 1 year delayed?

Hmm that makes sense.

Is Seattle getting a team and that's why it's 1 year delayed?

It looks like Vegas is in.

It also looks like until the C$ tanked that the league would probably bite the bullet & let Quebec City back in. A team in Seattle or Portland makes more sense to "complete" the foot print than QC does from the NHL's perspective. There has been no official word that the league is looking @ anyone but the 2 that submitted bids, but that doesn't mean they won't look at others.

IMHO, QC won't get an expansion team. The league appears to want to get to 32. IF those are both correct (not a given), then somebody else besides QC has to be considered. Seattle & Portland make sense now. Milwaukee made sense a long time ago; maybe they will again.

At least it bones Toronto too, right?

Somewhat. Depend on the rules, they may not have to protect Matthews/Laine where Buffalo will have to protect Eichel since he's a year older.

Is there clarification on if NMC's HAVE to be protected, and count towards the limit, or if they are just, in effect, automatically protected without having to use up protection slots for them?

I have to think they're automatically slotted, other wise you'd end up with teams that have enough guys on NMC that they could protect everyone.

Somewhat. Depend on the rules, they may not have to protect Matthews/Laine where Buffalo will have to protect Eichel since he's a year older.

I have to think they're automatically slotted, other wise you'd end up with teams that have enough guys on NMC that they could protect everyone.

And the team that saves themselves 1-2 reasonable 2nd/3rd line guys end up w/ a team's worth of 2nd/3rd line guys that they must keep when it's time to re-up the 1st liners. The whole thing is a chess match. The guys playing checkers give up the ROR's of the world because they can't see big picture/ more than a move ahead. "Your castle thingy was attacking the horsey. Now you took the tall one w/ the pointy crown? That's mean. At least there's still two horsies!"

Igor Eronko reports out of Russia that Khokhlachev, who finished his 2015-16 season with 68 points in 60 AHL games for the Providence Bruins, is heading to the KHL for the upcoming season. He’ll sign with SKA St. Petersburg, who acquired the forward’s rights from Avangard Omsk last summer in what’s looking like a shrewd, anticipatory deal.

A native of Moscow, Russia, Khokhlachev was selected 40th overall by the Bruins at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

Since coming to North America, he’s been a prolific offensive performer at the minor league level – putting up 61 goals and 171 points in 197 career games at the AHL level in Providence – but has been given extremely limited opportunities with the NHL club. Between 2013 and 2016, the 22-year-old center/wing only appeared in nine NHL games, failing to record a point in any of them.

Hitchcock said this is his last one-year deal. He's done coaching after this next season. #stlblues

Edited by WildCard

I see a note above that expansion is EXPECTED to be pushed back to 18-19 That's not true. Nothing remotely close to that was said.

What was said is that it's an option but that's always been known. The options have always been zero, one or two teams in 17-18 or 18-19.

In fact, the only reporters I saw offer an opinion after the state of the league address said they still expect Vegas to get expansion for 17-18. The league has said they'll need to make a decision on expansion within a few months if they want to get it done for 17-18. Bettman said exactly that last week when he appeared on Bloomberg. The date Bettman said we'll have an answer is June 22nd. June 22nd is within a few months...

ALSO: I see a discussion on how teams don't need to protect players with NMCs. They also got rid of te minimum salary exposed requirement.

However, the league said teams will be punished heavily if they can't comply with the expansion draft (meaning they have too many NMCs and can't expose players or don't have the right number of players to expose).

I saw an implication that there are some expansion draft rules that haven't been leaked yet.

Edited by Hoss

I see a note above that expansion is EXPECTED to be pushed back to 18-19 That's not true. Nothing remotely close to that was said.

What was said is that it's an option but that's always been known. The options have always been zero, one or two teams in 17-18 or 18-19.

In fact, the only reporters I saw offer an opinion after the state of the league address said they still expect Vegas to get expansion for 17-18. The league has said they'll need to make a decision on expansion within a few months if they want to get it done for 17-18. Bettman said exactly that last week when he appeared on Bloomberg. The date Bettman said we'll have an answer is June 22nd. June 22nd is within a few months...

Indeed

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/nhl-expansion-details-revealed-june-22nd/

“That word,” confirmed Bettman, “will probably come in one of the following forms:

“Whether there will be no expansion; whether expansion will be deferred until a later time in the future; or whether there will be expansion, and if so whether it will be a one-team or a two-team expansion.

“I am not going to handicap what’s going to happen. But again, when the board meets in Las Vegas on June 22, I am fairly certain that we will know more than we do today.”

Edited by WildCard

Regarding the above post by Wildcard. That's exactly why GMTM doesn't like to draft russians, there's always the threat of the KHL hanging over their heads. Granted alot of Russians stay and play without issue but it's tough to really know who's gonna bolt at any time

Ah, ok. Makes sense.

ALSO: I see a discussion on how teams don't need to protect players with NMCs. They also got rid of te minimum salary exposed requirement.

However, the league said teams will be punished heavily if they can't comply with the expansion draft (meaning they have too many NMCs and can't expose players or don't have the right number of players to expose).

I saw an implication that there are some expansion draft rules that haven't been leaked yet.

....or not. So they don't have to be protected?? I'm lost.

Also, who is exempt. ELCs?